How well do Tahoes hold up past 100K? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TritonTahoecc

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe, with 195k on it and it runs like a champ!! like most people have said just keep up with the regular maintenance, treat it right and it will treat you right.

Rick4027

Reaction score

Im a PO as well my issued 99 Tahoe had over 250k on it when I retired it, regular fluid changes and a steering box at 180K were the only issues, and I drove it like I stole it. I liked it so much I bought an 06 Tahoe as my POV. buy it you will love it.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines turning 116k an 04 ex state trooper POV shocks are now starting to wear so im going with a new set this weekend no other issues once i kept wifey from driving it :p :pepper:

hamtahoe

Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with 147K, all Hway miles. Truck runs and looks great with only shocks & tire replacement at 82K. Will need tires again shortly.

markdtn

Reaction score
'01 with 225K. Never had a starter, transmission, water pump, or a/c compressor. Bought 4 years ago with 163K on it. Alternator died at 199K. Fuel pump was replaced before I got it at about 125k. One of the best all around vehicles I have ever owned.

goat364

Reaction score
I've got 119k on my '04 Z71 Tahoe and it's still goin stong! I've put 25k miles on it, but I've only had to put in a steering gearbox. I actually bought it needing that replaced. The part was only $200 and it took me a couple hrs to change it out. I off-road (forest service roads) and tow alot and still have confidence it will make 200k. I tell everyone that these trucks will damn near go forever with diligent maintenence.

DJay

Reaction score
04 LT-lite with 250K, original brakes. The knock sensor lead wire is giving me fits and the 4wd is arbitrarily going from 2wd to 4wd. Best car I've ever owned.

eric_p

Reaction score
01 LT with 350K miles. She needs some suspension work but other wise runs great. No major repairs, only general repairs in her history.

Razorback58

Reaction score
02 Tahoe LT with 161000 miles. Finally had to replace the starter, which is the first thing ever done to it (other than replacing battery).

Pike

Reaction score
I bought my 02 Z71 with 89k on it. Previous owners took great care of it and I have done the same. I now have 131K on it as I drive a lot of highway miles each week (roughly 1,000 +/-). The only thing that failed was the rear liftgate hydraulic lift, which was an inexpensive fix. I have done regular preventative maintenance to it: regular oil changes, tire rotations, replace fuel filter each year, new plugs & differential fluid changed (100k tune up), tranny service, air filter, etc. It's been a solid ride for me. I do need to put new shocks and rotors on it, but that's no biggie. They are great vehicles!

Quick update - just hit 150k, still runs like a top.

alexandergrantmyers

Reaction score
i have one

The best thing about Chevy or any domestic vehicle is the availability of parts OEM or Performance. There has been one significant problem with a vehicle of that age. Rust. If the vehicle has been somewhere they salt the road, even a little, and the person neglected to wash under the body and the frame components then you can have serious problems. I live in upstate NY and every job that I have done on the Tahoe has been compounded by the rust.
There is also a problem with the header/manifold bolts that GM picked for these series of Vortec Engines. They have a tendency of snaping off. This is not really a problem if you like to have an excuse to by some performance headers.
But you have to be aware that Domestic vehicles are meant to be worked on after a certain point. Unfortunately the germans and Japanese have figured out how to make a vehicle that doesn't need any upkeep. Trust me, my spouse drives a Honda and she rarely even changes the oil let alone anything else and it still works perfectly.

hilary11579

Reaction score
Wow, I feel like I'm the only one that hates my Tahoe! I must have got a lemon! It has 167K and I have had to replace (in the 5 years since I've had it):

power steering pump which broke the first day I bought it, fuel pump, water pump, inner tie rods (twice on one side!), master cylinder which went out while I was driving causing me to get in an accident!, the brake pads and rotors a number of times. Going in tomorrow to get them replaced again and it's only been a year since I had them done! I'm sure they'll tell me something else is wrong while I'm there. Also wheel bearings, window regulator, idler arm, pitman arm, outer tie rods, and most recently u-joints. Also, my service engine soon light stays on all of the time and I have had multiple shops look at it and no one can get the code to clear. It says an error with the fuel system from when the fuel pump went out I guess. My gas gauge goes up when I shut it off and take the key out, as does the oil pressure. I need a new window regulator on the back passenger window, and the back door panels don't like to stay on! My tow/haul doesn't work either. I pray every day someone hits it and totals it! lol. I don't drive it much either! I live in a small town and it only takes 5 minutes to get anywhere.

ljacobsc21

Reaction score
I bought my 2003 Tahoe when it had 94K on it. I now have 170K with no major issues. I know it was well-cared for and regularly serviced by the person who owned it before me.

shuvro97

Reaction score
Its easy boy,
Do it with confidence,I have taken many many chevys to 2 and 300k.Minor problems,Yes rattles and stuff ( i offroad though) but never an engine or tranny issue.
high pressure hose

BigWheelinBubba

Reaction score
241k on mine.. You guys that are b!tching about repairs have to understand that every used vehicle breaks and will need maintenance. It's your truck and you KNOW what maintenance you've done and what will still need to be done. Don't think that just because your truck has some miles on it and you're replacing things that it's the end of the world! I'd rather maintain my high miles truck than pay $600/month for a new one! :D

skysix

Reaction score
2002 mileage

320k front drive shafts otherwise all normal (other than what the Wife busted while killing an elk out of season on US101)