How well do Tahoes hold up past 100K? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodaddy

Reaction score
My 01 Hoe has 92K and the only major problem has been the antilock/traction control module which was replaced once under warranty and is now disabled until I can come up with about $1500 to fix it again. I've been looking for info on this in the forum with no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.

crazyhoe

Reaction score
Tahoes and yukons are know for there strong engines and years of driving. Best truck in the market ! Strong and at lease 300.000 miles of fun! I had a pathfinder, what a piece of junk! Couldn't even hold my 20" rims, ball joints shocks antilock, engine problems, problems!!! My 01 tahoe 180,000 no problems, best truck I had!! You my a wise choice ! Hard as a rock! American made always made the best trucks!!

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first post on TahoeForum.com.

It was instantly evident that people here won't dare badmouth a Tahoe!

Sorry... I have to badmouth the tranmission.

I have a `97 (bought it used at 97,000). Trannie crashed and burned at 104,000. (Granted, I have no idea of the previous owner's PreventMaint.)

Remanu'd trannie installed, and it just crashed at 45,000 miles. I babied it, and it died. (Granted, again, it could have been a bad remanuf job... but for $2300, I'd expect a little "Like A Rock" performance.)

Sorry, but now looking down the barrel of a 3rd $2200 trannie job, I'm a little soured on that ***** 4L60E trannie in there.

Judging by your screen name I'm going to guess you pull a good size boat. If this is true how do you pull it out of the water? Do you use 2wd 4wd or 4lo? I've seen tons of trannys taken out (all different brands) by guys pulling boats out of the water in 2 or 4hi. What happens is you step on the gas hard to get everything moving, but it don't move very much or very fast. So you step on the gas harder. This builds tons of heat and very very fast, which is what kills trannys. All you need to do is use 4lo, that's what it's there for. The 4l60e does have a couple problem area's, but so does almost every other tranny. Don't tow in OD either hard on the tranny also. On the older chevy trucks there was a sticker in the door telling you to tow in 3rd.

thedude337

Reaction score
my 01 trany still strong after 115k it has the tow/haul mode that helps a lot my boats not real big 17' fiberglass ranger pulls like its not there, all but the autoride not workin. but hey in a few weeks im gonna order the replacement shocks and pump from arnott industries they got together with bilstien and made a after market air shock thats like 400 bucks for the pair maybe less cant remember, either way a whole lot cheeper than going to dealership. probably gonna pay dealer the 70 dollar diagnosis fee to pinpoint the exact problem will post when i know more.

thedude337

Reaction score
oh yeah and i forgot a few weeks ago heater quit blowing hot air at 115k i did my own shadetree flush and refill. still would not get hot. the problem was a cloged heater core, so i bought a bottle of radiator flush modified a funnel and putt it directly in the heater core lett it sit about 15 minutes, next i took a (get this) basket ball pump sealed it tight with duct tape and churned it around with air inlet then outlet. next i fixed the water hose to it and out came the funk. not quite the job you get at a reputable mechanics shop but it works fine got pleny heat now, warm in minutes.

negrodamus

Reaction score
140K Rollover!!!!

Just rolled over 140K, and have not had any problems except for a leaking high pressure steering hose, which I ignored...so I changed everything connected to it, now she is running strong.

chrisj

Reaction score
I bought mine in 2005 with 20000 miles on it cause my neighbor has a 2000 with at the time with 210000 on it never a problem. I now have 96000 and he is over 300000. he uses his to tow his race car and a bobcat. only issue either of us has had is a fuel pump. i have never owned a vehicle over 2 years this is my first and i love it so much i dont see myself selling it for a long time. when that time comes it will be a new tahoe or suburban.

Lundy01

Reaction score
241,000 miles and still runs great. My only issue has been a ring pinion gear at about 120,000, I bought it used with 57,000, and a fuel pump at 190,000. Do the regular maintenance and they will go forever.

95Tahoe

Reaction score
176,000 miles on my '03 Yukon. Only problems are I have had little bit of valvetrain noise that I am trying to sort out....just posted on another thread, replaced the oil pump (failure). I recently replaced the lifters trying to resolve the vt noise...motor still has a great crosshatch on cylinder walls. Good sign. I have no hesitation to drive anywhere.

Pike

Reaction score
I bought my 02 Z71 with 89k on it. Previous owners took great care of it and I have done the same. I now have 131K on it as I drive a lot of highway miles each week (roughly 1,000 +/-). The only thing that failed was the rear liftgate hydraulic lift, which was an inexpensive fix. I have done regular preventative maintenance to it: regular oil changes, tire rotations, replace fuel filter each year, new plugs & differential fluid changed (100k tune up), tranny service, air filter, etc. It's been a solid ride for me. I do need to put new shocks and rotors on it, but that's no biggie. They are great vehicles!

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe is a 2001 and just turned 93,000 miles. Only problem was with the parking brake, found out if you don't use it it gets loose. Just bought a new Equniox so the Tahoe should last a long time. Tahoe doesn't have all the electronic stuff the new vehicles do but I ordered it without a third row seat. The split bench rear set folds flat so I will hang onto it for carrying my model airplanes to the flying field.

hellbilly

Reaction score
'98 at 325K

My '98 is pushing 326K right now. One tiny drip coming from seal between engine and tranny every now and then. Tranny is just now starting to kick a bit into 2nd. I'll replace tranny and engine as needed. Thing has always ran like a champ.

JonesT

Reaction score
It's good to see so many Tahoes with high mileage and still running. I'm in the market for a high-mileage Tahoe to tow our boat short distances as well as a dump trailer and to use to transport the kids around town. I like the Tahoes for their towing ability and I've also heard that the engines are built to last which it seems like it from these posts.

Last edited:

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing that amazes me is that while my Tahoe is at 93,000, it is over 10 years od and the AC will still freeze you out when it is over 90°. Never had it serviced either.

StanF

Reaction score
02 'hoe with 153K miles. Still running strong. Transmission rebuilt about 10k miles ago, which is the only major problem.

AC is perfect and has never been serviced. Have recently done alot of minor repairs/maintenance like shocks, rear cargo door gas lifts, rear window gas lifts, windshield washer pump motor, rear seat release cable, wash/detail (the leather seats were especially dirty), installed new Kenwood radio with bluetooth and ipod input, added factory storage boxes where cassette and Onstar were located. Replaced both fog lamps.

Still to do:
1) Drivers bottom leather seat has a slight tear. Need to replace for about $200 (see ebay)
2) Am close to needing tires, and I am hoping to find a set of newer hoe rims/tires to update the look a little.
3) Transmission intercooler (I added a trailer hitch a while ago, and it is hot in Texas, so a separate cooler would be good to have with the new tranny)

The paint on the upper portion of the rear passenger door is peeling off, and won't be repaired.

Still happy with it - I just wish my wife had kept better care of the outside paint. There are alot of dings/scratches.

StanF

Reaction score
Wow! I'd have to own mine another 15-20 years to get to 405K.

I like my hoe, but I hope I don't have it another 20 years!