How well do Tahoes hold up past 100K? Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narco944

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading my Nissan Pathy 4x4 in on an older (02-03) Tahoe. The Pathy is an 05. The Tahoe I'm looking at is an 02 with 86K on it. Visually it looks to be in great shape. I wanted to know generally speaking, how well these trucks hold up if taken care of? It will not be taken off road, etc.

I'm trading down getting an older, cheaper vehicle with more miles. I'm a police officer and have a take home car. I barely put 7K on my Nissan last year. I don't think I can justify having a high car pymt for something that sits in the driveway. If these trucks hold up well once over 100K and my payment will drop 100-150 a month I'll feel a little better about doing this. I just don't want to make a mistake that I'll be paying for years down the road.

This is my 1st post and other than driving the occasional Tahoe (which I love) I don't know much about them. Any help or advice you can give (good/bad/indifferent) is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea dude, do it with confidence, i have taken many many chevys to 2 and 300k. minor problems, yes rattles and stuff ( i offroad though) but never an engine or tranny issue. :D

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel - back in July I bought a 2002 Yukon with 87k miles on it. Best decision I ever made - darn thing looks and drives like new at a cost of less than 30% of the cost of a new one! Now I'm at 95k - I live in northern Virginia and my commute is a slow 8 miler towards DC. Occasionally I'll put it on the highway. Either kind of driving the truck is tight and rides great. I smile every time I drive it. All I'd suggest is run a Carfax on it - if that comes back clean, buy it with confidence. These are great trucks!

Narco944

Reaction score
Thanks guys...i feel a little better about doing it. The truck is actually a Yukon, same thing?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, same difference. Yukon is the same as a Tahoe, Yukon XL is the same as a Suburban. Options and trim are different between Chevy and GMC, but yes, basically same vehicle. Do your homework, and you'll be lovin' it! :thumbsup:

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep from a distance most people couldn't point out differences between Chevys/GMCs. My best advice is be sure to get all of the maintenance records and make sure the fluids have been changed when they were supposed to be ect. Although at 86k miles there shouldn't be much that had to be done. Assuming you don't tow/offroad, then the transmission fluid doesn't even need to be changed till 100k.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has 160k on his yukon denali xl with no problems other than a front end rebuild. Motor has been spraying 100shot of nitrous since 100k with no issues whatsoever.

tahoebigah

Reaction score
I have 180k on mine and it is running fine just the usual maitnence.....cmon 200k! lol

botomgun

Reaction score
I'm at 167,000 and still going strong (other than minor repairs that were well within my ability to perform).

Plus you could strike the word PATHY from your vocabulary!

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 99 with 81,000 and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever purchased I LOVE MY TAHOE

maswindell

Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 LT with 21000 miles on it so I guess I'll have plenty of miles to go before I worry about anything. The delaer said he'd replace the ISS with no problem, but the service manager said he'd never heard of replacingthe steering column bushing. We'll see how the new ISS works.

Narco944

Reaction score
great stuff...anyone else got one w/ over 100K?? let's hear about it!

also, I've officially struck the word "Pathy" from by vocabulary =)

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines still under 100K, but its at about 80K and i cant complain so far...

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe will officially be hitting 200k miles in approximately 2 days! I'll try to get a picture of it without killing anyone....lol :D :cool:

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my Yukon 2WD with 67,000 miles and have over 124,000 miles on her now, no problems (or at least major) just do your maintenance and she'll run a long time. We get 265,000+ on our Sheriff Tahoes and you know how cops drive :D

Aaron

Narco944

Reaction score
Sounds like I'll be in good hands trading to get one with around 70-80K

ruf455

Reaction score
Dad's 99 Silverado has 175+K, doing just fine

Bro's 02 Burb, 170+k, some minor electrical issues

Both vehicles have no serious issues and never had any to begin with.

Get it, run the wheels off of it.

Narco944

Reaction score
yes, I'm VERY familiar with how cops drive...with miles that high on your dept's tahoes I feel safe. i myself have beaten down many a crown vic.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those crown vics can go! I love ours, the interceptors that is :D The regular crown vic we use for school doesn't seem to have that extra oomph :D

My only problem so far is the 2nd air injection valve went bad (seems to be common) and I put the fixed orifice pcv as it was burning oil, not doesn't burn a drop. I had a bad leak in the cab and traced it to my XM radio antenna wire that was pretty much guiding the water into the cab. I rerouted it inside only and no more leaks. I change the tranny fluid/filter yearly and run Mobil 1 and Napa Gold/Wix filters with no piston slap (124,000+ miles) I get around average 17mpg with a high of 19mpg. I run seafoam through it every season (it's an easy reminder) and run good gas in it. I throw a can of Techron in it when I find it in bulk at Costco. Also, make sure you grease those zerks or your front end will clunk around. Mine is a 2WD. I changed the rear diff fluid, flushed and replaced the red anti freeze with distilled water, flushed brake fluid all at around 100,000 miles. Just do the maint and you'll be fine.

Aaron