Hybrid XL Extended / ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goebone

Reaction score
I need XL version of Yukon/Escalade etc. My wife wants Hybrid. (We currently own older Denali XL). Does anyone on the "inside" know if and when an extended length version of the Hybrid will be produced? I have found no references at all on all web searches. Thanks.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there will never be an extended version of the hybrid. they just wont do it. wont save any gas on it and Gm looses aton of money. so i would bank on never getting a hybrid one. :thumbsup:

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there will never be an extended version of the hybrid. they just wont do it. wont save any gas on it and Gm looses aton of money. so i would bank on never getting a hybrid one. :thumbsup:

OK, I call BS on this one. Want to give us some science behind why the hybrid powertrain saves fuel on a regular Tahoe but not an XL?

Energy recovery is energy recovery. The length of your chassis (as you found out in the other thread :) ) just doesn't matter.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I call BS on this one. Want to give us some science behind why the hybrid powertrain saves fuel on a regular Tahoe but not an XL?

Energy recovery is energy recovery. The length of your chassis (as you found out in the other thread :) ) just doesn't matter.

it does when it weighes almost 2k more. simple science:thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so whether or not its better on gas or not. i would not plan on an XL version from GM for a while if at all. it just does not make sense and i can see why.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does when it weighes almost 2k more. simple science:thumbsup:

Not exactly, no. The energy recovery is higher in the heavier vehicle (this is simple physics). Whether the batteries are suitably larger to capture the excess is another question.

But the XL does not weigh 2000 lbs more than the regular Tahoe. From Edmunds.com web site (the GM site isn't working):

Tahoe LT - 5524 lbs curb weight
Suburban LT 1500 - 5743 lbs curb weight

So the difference is 220 lbs, which is about right for that 16 inches or whatever it is.

ockevin

Reaction score
With the added cost of the Hybrid Tahoe....You will need to own it for over 5 years to make up for the higher cost of the Hybrid. Look at Motor Trends review and its over $12,000 higher and you dont even get all the goodies of teh Denali or LTZ Tahoe.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the added cost of the Hybrid Tahoe....You will need to own it for over 5 years to make up for the higher cost of the Hybrid. Look at Motor Trends review and its over $12,000 higher and you dont even get all the goodies of teh Denali or LTZ Tahoe.

Agreed - hybrid technology is very expensive, but the price will drop with volume.

I'm a much bigger fan of diesel anyway. My 2002 Duramax is pretty awesome.

goebone

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Weight wise an XL version would make sense. The weight difference is nominal.

I have driven the Hybrid Yukon and it is equipped much like the Denali, so the price differential is really just a few thousand dollars, not 12,000 dollars.

Speculation aside, does anyone have inside info as to whether an XL platform hybrid is in the works?

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, there will not be a hybrid XL, well at least any time soon. I have to give some props to GM for the willingness to make a hybrid, but I just do not see that it will work. I drive past a dealership everyday on the way home from work that has several hybrid Tahoes sitting right next to the road in easy view with signs on the windshield saying they are hybrids. They have been there for I would say a couple of months now - haven't even moved. Unless hybrid Tahoe sales support their continued production, which may then warrant the production of a XL hybrid if the demand is there, I just do not see it happening. GM would be better served (it also makes more sense) with making hybrids out of the Cobalt, Impala, Malibu, Equinox or the Trailblazer.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM would be better served (it also makes more sense) with making hybrids out of the Cobalt, Impala, Malibu, Equinox or the Trailblazer.

I don't disagree, but the big SUVs disproportionately affect GMs CAFE numbers, so there's a lot of incentive to increase their mileage.

Frankly, the Tahoe Hybrid's city mileage is amazing.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local chevy dealership told me today that only dealerships with trained hybrid mechanics would get allocation on the hybrid. So needlesstosay my local dealer can't get them to sell. Not that I'm ready to trade my 07 in, just wanted to see one!

jdvandemark

Reaction score
on the golf channel about a month ago the Tavisstock cup was played and they were giving away 2009 ESV Hybrids i thought they said they were worth 90K

tahoe 8A

Reaction score
the only dealers that are getting hybrid tahoes are the ones that have sold 50 regular tahoes in a year they get one for every 50 thay sell until more are produced. GM wants to make sure the vehicle is perfected so there are not many recalls. also a fully loaded hybrid is 55,585 with moonroof and rear dvd.
the only difference from a ltz loaded approx 53,000 is the hybrid has aluminum hood and rear tailgate is manual and 20 inch light aluminum wheels and an ugly front. the hybrid also has a 6.0 engine

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Essentially, as some have said, there are no immediate plans to make the "long" models as Hybrids. For now and for the next model year it is the Tahoe/Yukon and shortly there will be a Silverado/Sierra with the same system.

The main reason being the longer models tend to see a bit more heavy use, in the way that they do weigh a bit more in the first place and then tend to get loaded down with more people, cargo, and towing things more than the more commonplace short models--which get used by sole drivers as everyday "cars" more, in reality. More people buy a Tahoe/Yukon (or did, before reality set in) to replace a car, and just to be used by them for their daily grind, than the family&stuff-mobile long models.

Still, there's always a chance, and it would not be hard to put the system in these after trimming out the extra weight and the other exterior changes, but no plans anytime soon. It's an expensive system and will expand in use, but not immediately, and in limited form.

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard somewhere that gm lost quite a bit of money on each tahoe hybrid like 10k the 200lb difference wouldnt make a difference in the willingness to build a burb but substantial loss on each one would

also that might be why they limit distribution and i they probably arent selling as well as they thought b/c i know i havent seen one around town

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I've said before, I doubt it will happen. Especially now when GM is cutting overall production of Tahoes and Yukons.