Hydroboost brake conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha thanks, thats all you said, u couldnt answer my question - im dissapointed treepete.. hahah jk..

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have planned on putting a hydroboost on for some time but haven't gotten around to it yet. Too much other stuff to play with.

Hydroboost has been around for awhile and I understand that it became available on Tahoes in 2003.

I put on an AGR steering pump to handle my hydraulic winch and figure it would be good to have if I ever get around to the hyd brakes.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awsome! Yea, the more I research, it seems they have been around for a long time. Currently I'm running the SSBC "firm feel" master cylinder... but I'll change that too if I have to. Thanks for the tips!

Did you use your stock steering pump? Any mods to that in respect to the HB?
Also, does your HB on the '95 have the "kick back" that Treepete mentioned?
Is this normal?

I have a smaller power steering pump because of space limitations around the front of the engine. You will have no problem using your stock power steering pump. The HB uses a very small amount of the flow.

I never notice the "kick back", unless I'm bleeding the brakes. When driving you never lean on them that hard as a rule. Uless you skid to a stop at every stop light. :lol:

The other feature of the HB that is great is the "stored" energy for braking if the engine dies. You have a couple of cycles stored in the spring loaded cylinder on the HB. While in normal operation, it stores up the pressure so it's there if needed. :cool2:

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a vehicle that's 5000+ lbs... I think stopping when desired is of utmost importance... especially while hauling family... and toys =)

Thanks again for the input.. I'll be picking your brain again... as my quest for super brakes continue..

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... so for new parts, here's what I found...

--Hydratech kit (w/ SS braided lines, and adapters) run $695
On top of there, they recommend a Raybestos MC #390257 (which happened to have been recalled for a flange that could fracture under panic braking) I still don't know what the superceeded model# is... but I can't find the 390257 just yet. I'm guesing it would run about $100 +/- $20ish?

--GM oem parts:
Hydro-boost #15192200 runs from $517.63- $683.74
2 high pressure lines and 1 return line : $80 + $85 + $55 = $220
Perhaps it could use the stock MC too... not sure.

Junkyard... haven't found one yet, but EBAy has some for $75-350
and their condition and fitment is questionable.

Another avenue I'm thinking of... is an ungraded Vac Booster... if one exists.
I know there are single and double diaphram boosters... and being a big truck, I'm assuming ours is already the double diaphram one. Can anyone confrim this? If we have a single diaphram booster, then perhaps we can source a double as an upgrade. They supposedly produce from 300-700psi more over a single diaphram.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more random thoughts on my current brake obssesion...

My current SSBC MC feels very stiff... sometimes I wonder if my Vac brake booster is on its way out... however, when I really get into the pedal, it's defintely got some power to stop. No buttery slide. (I tested the booster recently by cruising about 30mph, then shifting to "N", and shutting off the engine... once the reserve vac was gone, the pedal got rock hard, and very hard to brake... which means my stock brake booster is working... to some degree)

1) I've tried my stock oem MC already... and I've tried the SSBC one too. I almost feel like the bore on the SSBC is a bit too large. I've read of other off-roaders who experimented w/ different MC's... and the bigger bore MC's characteristics are: more stopping power... however, the pedal feels very stiff, and requires much more foot pressure... but it does have stopping power (this is exactly what I'm experiencing).

2) If the above is true, then perhaps a smaller bore MC might give better feel... a bit softer too... and will require more boost (hydroboost? or better vac booster). When these guys found their right balance of MC vs. brake booster, the biggest bore MC weren't the favorite pick.

hmm... hungry.. need brain food...

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95TwinTT....

Thanks for your tips and sharing your experience (especially since you already did this)... if I could ask you for a favor.. when you have time...

Can you post some pics of your truck w/ the hydro-boost? I'm curious to see how the lines were run.. especially around the steering pump... Have you ever thought about adding more cooling to the steering fluid?

Thanks again!~

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here you go. Some pictures of my HB. Things will be a bit different under the hood here, beause I am not using the stock PS pump. I ran the braided lined under the ABS unit.

The PS pump on my Hoe does not have a reservoir. I ended up building my own. It is the stainless tank in front of the alcohol tank, next to the WS washer tank.

The HB also made more room for the Turbo. Things get a little busy around the brake setup. I ran out of room, so the fuel pressure regulator is mounted above the ABS unit next to the fuse box.

There is not need to do any cooling of the power steering fluid in these applications. The only time I have seen high temps is on cars running road courses with high rpm's for long periods of time.

The HB uses very little fluid to activate. It is pressure of the fluid, not so much flow.

Attachments

• DSC02563.JPG
    DSC02563.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02562.JPG
    DSC02562.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02577.JPG
    DSC02577.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC02568.JPG
    DSC02568.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02565.JPG
    DSC02565.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 31

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek2: :thumbsup:

Thanks! your bay is clean!~ Nice details... The brake hardlines are bent nicely, and I see the Aeromotive FPR... that's a nice unit (got same one in my Audi :D )

I can't wait to get my HB setup...

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... I broke down (not the truck.. the truck is running fine) and finally ordered the hyrdoboost kit made by Hydratech. It's not cheap, but I called a local dealer, and it woulda cost more for a new factory HB booster and rubber lines... even with an "industry" discount. Plus the hydratech come w/ ss braided lines.

I was going to search the boneyard, but I really don't have the time to do so... and don't want to deal w/ wondering the condition of a used unit. I think the effort and cost to setup a used one will eventually get near the cost of a new Hydratech kit...

Anyway... hope all goes well~

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whered you get your stuff at? how much? comon you know the rules, cant leave us here to hang.. lol

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha... well, I wanted to wait untill it I got it first.. but couldnt hold it in... :D

Anyway, I got it from here:

http://www.classicperform.com/

As 95TwinTT mentioned, Hydratech doesn't sell to the public anymore, but they listed CPP as a dealer... and they happen to be in So Cali too... so after days of obsessing over this... I finally called them up... asked them my list of questions, and ordered it. I'm guesstimating I'll receive it early next week.

Price was $695... w/ all the hardware to install. Stock st pump should be fine, and I'm going to try it w/ my SSBC MC first... and if it doesn't look likea good fit, I'll have to go to a stock MC. Anyway, I can't wait.

As for bone yard parts.. I decided not to go that route... especially since I'm not familiar w/ the HB units just yet.
-The route for oem new parts is a GM#15192200... supposedly it'll fit, however, my discount price was in the low $500's not including lines or hardware..etc. I probably could have got custom SS braided lines made for the oem HB... (Goodridge is across the street) but I'd also have to deal w/ fittings, etc... where as OEM hoses would run me a tad over $200 anyway. This brings me over the cost of the Hydratech kit... so... that was that.

What kills me is I came across an awsome deal for a Honda Ridgeline w/ very low miles... and Tow package. Doh! Not as comfortable as my Denali, but it does the job well. Now if I didn't already order the Hydraboost... I probably jump for the Honda. Oh well.

rhett325i

Reaction score
JP422, could you do a rough stopping distance test, before and after the hydroboost install? I have the SSBC front and rear kit on my hoe, along with a super-mushy pedal. I'm thinging Hydroboost is the way to go to firm up the pedal, but I would like to know if there are any real braking performance advantages to be had.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mushy pedal? Is your brake fluid old? I'm using Dot4 synthetic fluid... and the SSBC "firm feel" master cylinder.. (I think it's a bigger bore)... and the pedal is real firm.
Oh yea, my front axle has stainless steel braided lines too.

If I really get on the pedal, then the sucker stops pretty quick. It's got the mechanical power to stop... but at the moment, the pedal is very hard... almost like my brake booster is bad... but I know it's working. The HB is perfect because it should help step on the brake a bit harder. For now, I have to grab the bottom of the steering wheel and push my whole body into it to panic stop.. it's pretty nerveracking. Normal driving is no problem... it stops fine.. but w/ a firm foot of course. I got used to it, but to an average driver, will probably freak out how hard your have to press.

Don't get me wrong though... it really does have the hardware to stop it... which is why I haven't given up in the quest to get my perfect brake setup.

Another thing, right now I'm rolling on 265/70-17... and can slightly chirp the tire when braking hard (when the truck is empty). When I go back to 285's.. it should be better...more grip.

As for the test... I know that would be great information to have.. but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it if I were you... I'm on my 4th or 5th set of front rotors for my Brembo calipers ( 2 piece hat). These rotors cost me $350 a piece... that's $700 a pair. Not to mention pads that are $120 average. I milled the rotor hat to accept Stoptech rotors now... but these still cost $500/pair... so I'm not that desperate to do testing to find out my actual stopping distance. If it improves.. I will know. Of course if there is an emergency, then i will slam the brakes like theres no tomorrow... but that's about all I can afford for now. Sorry.

If I could take back time... I probably would have tried a different brake setup... something less expensive to maintain... but oh well.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It finally came!! I received the Hydroboost kit yesterday!

This company definitely holds some quality... everything looks like it was cared for and thought out... even the way it was packaged for shipping. The instructions make sense, but wish it had more pics... heh heh.

The hoses and detail to attention are nice. Can't wait to install it! I hope it works ok w/ the SSBC master cylinder... otherwise I'll have to order a compatible one.

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the hydratech kit. I've been wanting to order one up for a while now. Hopefully I'll get off my a$$ and call soon. Don't forget to post up some pics of the install.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, lets see the pictures of that thing before you put it in. Aww man, it was yesterday, did you already put it in?