Hydroboost brake conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here do a GM Hydroboost brake conversion? I heard they offer awsome brake feel and stopping power. It's a popular upgrade of offroad rigs, and standard on some of the diesel trucks/suv...

So far I've heard it offers 2-3 times the brake pressure... great for upgraded calipers/and disk conversions.

What I found out so far is they run off the steering pump pressure, and are awsome. Anyone have any experience w/ them?

This sounds like exactly what I need!

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hydro boost offers far more mechanical advantage than vacuum assist power brakes.

I went to the Hydro boost when I needed more stopping ability in my 95 Hoe. The hydraulic assist seemed to make more sense then changing rotors and calipers.

To me it made more sense to squeeze the existing calipers harder rather than
put on larger rotors to achieve the same mechanical advantage.

It just uses your power steering pump to provide the power. They just daisy chain the hydraulic lines to include the brakes. All the fittings and parts were in the kit. Easy install.

I did end up having to change to a larger reservoir to eliminate air in the system, but I think that is the exception not the rule.

The diesel trucks have used them for many years, since diesels don’t have vacuum. :)

Attachments

• Hydroboost.jpg
    Hydroboost.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95TwinTT... that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks...

How did you set yours up? was it a kit... or did you piece it together? Any tips would be great!~

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the kit from these guys here. As it turns out, they have stopped selling to the public.

You may be able to get the kit information from this site and contact one of their dealers and see what they can do.

Paul was the guy I talked to, but according to their site, they got too busy to take care of all of the customers and are setting up dealers so they can focus on making the kits.

Sorry about that. It has been a couple of years, since I bought the kit. :(

http://hydratechbraking.com/products/

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a diesel GM hydrobooster would be a direct swap... anyone know?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These kits are pretty expensive. But if anyones going to swap to the hydroboost, check out some junkyards for an inexpensive great braking swap... you never know what youll find..

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... so far the advice is to check the junkyards for a hydroboost oem setup... saying to get teh booster, the lines, and the brake pedal too if possible... this would make for a complete swap...

I guess I might have a new project on my hands...

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, i watched that video in that link you posted up. These things look pretty cool and seem to perform reallly well. It just so happens that my original brake booster (that huge circle thing) is getting rusty so....(dot dot dot) looks like its also a project for me : )

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it sounds awesome too. Ill keep that on the back burner. I think it would really help you JP. I know you like to tow and you already have that disc conversion and aftermarket front rig.. look for a 1994 suburban or something.. I bet that would work. That would stop you on a dime I bet.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what all models/years of FSC's would the hydroboost come factory on? just the diesels? Once the new garage is done i'll finally have a place to drop on the rear disc kit that has been laying in the garage, and this would be a cool swap to do at the same time.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.. I can't believe I never knew about hydroboost! My brain is running like mad right now reading up on all the hydroboost articles online...

This is exactly what I need. I know my yukon has the mechanical power to stop it... but it takes a lot of foot pressure to stop it hard and fast... in fact, panic stops have me w/ both feet on the brake pedal and my hands pulling up on the steering wheelfrom the bottom. It looks hella dramatic from the passenger's veiw.. haha... but it can definitely stop the truck. So far I've never hit anyone, not stopped in the middle of the intersection on panic stops... but I just need Superman's leg muscles... or a Hydroboost !!

I remember stock brakes feeling like mush, and slips like butter in panic stops. Pretty scary.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my boss's 94 sub has it not sure if its compatable, but if its a whole replacement, who knows.
I started his ride today with my foot on the brake. the pedal pushed my foot pretty good and startled me. lol.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JFYI These factory hydro boost systems have been around for a long time. I had my first one on a 1979 C10 Silverado diesel. I had two 1 Ton 84" cab chassis, one with a 6.2 diesel and the other a 454, they both had the hydro boost.

I never paid much attention to them but the units looked identical from the 1982 diesel to the 1987 4x4 454.

I do remember when I changed the 95 Tahoe over, I had to change to a new master cylinder. Something about the bore size not being correct for hydro boost.

If you find one in a bone yard, be sure to take everything. Oh, and it does not affect the ABS at all. :cool:

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awsome! Yea, the more I research, it seems they have been around for a long time. Currently I'm running the SSBC "firm feel" master cylinder... but I'll change that too if I have to. Thanks for the tips!

Did you use your stock steering pump? Any mods to that in respect to the HB?
Also, does your HB on the '95 have the "kick back" that Treepete mentioned?
Is this normal?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now what happens with all the brake fluid in your lines? does this do anything or what goes on here. Im kinda lost, since i watched one movie and he never said anything about the old steel brake lines going up to the master cylinder??