I hate squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one, somewhere up front, but i can't pinpoint it... not the shocks, cause i just replaced them... i sprayed wd40 on the upper control arm mount bushings and on the sway bar mount bushings and the damned thing's still doin it... Any ideas???

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! This is, well, VERY true! Problem is, she's about 4 hrs south cause i'm at school... But, all in all, good point

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you can do is grease the fittings. Control arm bushings would probably be my guess or tie rods. White lithium grease the hell out of that stuff and it should be fine.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i greased the tie rod end zerc fittings and... NO LUCK, she still squeaks... any tricks as to how i can get to the control arm zerc fittings? o, and i used regular black lithium grease, is that bad??

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if it was the control arm fittings I was going after but I remember there were a few that were hard to get to until I removed the wheel. I just grease those every time I rotate the tires.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much they've changed, however when I was a lube tech at Q-lube (1996-1999), the full-size Chevy's had like 11-13 fittings.... some were hard to find / get to.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, at a "Lube, oil, filter", are they supposed to grease all of these?

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, at a "Lube, oil, filter", are they supposed to grease all of these?

Depends on the shop... and whether the tech wants to or not. At Q-lube we were held to a standard and we had to give our stats on every car (filter, how many fittings on chassis, on drivelines, level of boxes, etc) i.e. Chevy truck 4x4 w/ V8 = "3980, 11, sealed, all boxes full" That would be a QS3980 (equivalent to Fram PH3980), 11 fittings on the chassis, no fittings on the driveline (sealed), front/rear diff and xfer case were all checked and full. Now, whether other shops were held to that standard, who knows? I worked for a Texaco Xpress lube and they just asked what filter I put on... and how clean the boxes were... to sell stuff. LOL

edit: at many shops... a standard "LOF" consisted of changing the oil and filter... that's it. Sometimes they'll grease the zerks... but it's not guaranteed.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say i request that, saying you gotta "lube the chassis", are they held to that?