I want to plug in my ipod to factory radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

177mph

Reaction score
Searched some threads and cant get a clear answer because folks jump in with aftermarket head unit ideas. I just wanna be able to hear my ipod music thru my factory stereo. Any suggestions for inexpensive options are welcome.

Ive got an 03 Yukon with factory bose am/fm/cd Sat Radio.

Thanks.

Last edited:

177mph

Reaction score
so expensive...just use a cassette thingy

I would love to - except theres NO cassette deck!:confused2:

I'll take a look at crutchfield. If anyone else has inexpensive solutions - post em up! Thanks

omar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to - except theres NO cassette deck!:confused2:

I'll take a look at crutchfield. If anyone else has inexpensive solutions - post em up! Thanks

only other way is to get an FM modulator, but the sound quality can suck at times. Overall it will get the sound into your stock system, but without the ability to control ipod from radio

177mph

Reaction score
only other way is to get an FM modulator, but the sound quality can suck at times. Overall it will get the sound into your stock system, but without the ability to control ipod from radio

Not a big fan of those either. Thanks for the help. I'll post up when I buy something!

MikeCallery

Reaction score
The adapter here will work, but a few comments.

This is a generic adapter and simply gives you phono ports to your radio. You will still need to buy a cable that goes from your 30 pin iPod or iPhone to this device. There are also cables that go off the earphone jack. Also, this device is not designed to charge the iPod or iPhone so make sure you are charged. It doesn't mean this device isn't any good, just some things to consider before you jump.

Also, if you have one of the newer iPhones, they charge slightly differently than the older iPhones and iPods. As a result, older devices that interface like this still work, but do not charge the newer iPhone.

I think you'd be much better off looking at this device for $20. more:

http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.php?products_id=102794

It is going to charge your iPod and give you the cable as well. Now, once you buy that, go to www.proclipusa.com and search for the 3G and you can find a great holder for the phone as well.

Last edited:

AJFireman

Reaction score
This is what worked for me

Well last year I decided to add this option to my factory radio. Also wanted the aux inputs so that I can connect my stand alone Sirius radio to directly connect. So much better no longer need to change radio stations as I travel around. I go all over Southern California and such a better sound.

(Wish I took Pictures and all that was involved)

I found Neucleus below is a Catalog link. Just search around plus ebay to find the right adapter you need. I have a 06 Tahoe. This is the product I got from Amazon.com. Price was 119.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K50NGQ

That is pretty much the brains of it and works for lots of vehicles so you have to buy the cable that connects directly to your factory radio I purchased this one for 20.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K53QJM

Was really easy to install basically plug and play other than having to hook up a power supply but pretty to find one since you have your radio harness right there. Instructions are included and will tell you what kind of supply you need.

It came with a pretty decent length cable to connect to your ipod. So I ran that around the door seal to between the passenger seat and center console so that my son had access to it and can hook it up and change the station without reaching over to the radio all the time.(some choose to put in the glove box) It says you can change music using the radio buttons and dials but I have never tried that. The aux inputs I then split and one set going to the Sirius radio and ones set sits in the glove box .. this way when I need to hook any audio device like a portable dvd player I can hear it through the speakers.

Any questions just send it my way and I will try to answer. Hope that helps and I believe your radio has to be XM capatible so that it has the option to switch over when needed. I think that just having the AUX button on your radio indicates it does. (please verify everything regarding Necleus, adapters, and factory radio to choose the right product for you. Remember this worked for me and my 06 hoe)

http://www.shipsound.com/application_guides/AI-2006_NeucleusCatalog.pdf

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you haven't already, also take a look into Peripheral Ipod2Car interface and the ipod interfaces from Nucleus. I install a few of these every week in these trucks and they work great. You should be able to find these for under $150. These interfaces are the best option as far as sound quality compared to anything else (other than exchanging your stock deck for an aftermarket).

177mph

Reaction score
The best way to do it is with a new deck with iPod functions I run an Alpine with and iPod cable

Hey FatJoe - you may have noticed that the original question stated that the reason I couldnt find any info on how to hook up my ipod to my stock stereo - was because everytime a thread was started about it - someone jumped in with aftermarket radio recommendations.

Looking for stock stereo options. No aftermarket radios.

dpnut2

Reaction score
search ebay or amazon for "monster fm transmitter"...you can probably get one for under $10...plug into car lighter and the other end into the mini-jack headphone output on the mp3 or you can get the ipod version from monster...good luck!

177mph

Reaction score
search ebay or amazon for "monster fm transmitter"...you can probably get one for under $10...plug into car lighter and the other end into the mini-jack headphone output on the mp3 or you can get the ipod version from monster...good luck!

Is that like a itrip? Not a fan of those types of equipment. too much static, etc

dpnut2

Reaction score
Is that like a itrip? Not a fan of those types of equipment. too much static, etc

yessir...but can't beat it for under 10 bucks or so...I have it and it work good enough for me. :thumbsup:

FatJoe81

Reaction score
i only sugested this cuz then u can control it from the deck and the sound quilty is better! I have 10 years car audio under my belt and i just wanna help out good luck on whatever you find to work for ya!
~fatjoe~

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to have to agree with FatJoe81 on this one. Anything other than a new HU is not going to get you great sound or functionality. I'm running an Alpine ida x-100 which is one of the nicer single-DIN Ipod HUs out there, but you can get the x-200 for $150. Yes you will have to buy the wiring harness too but it's worth it.

If you must get an FM transmitter, get the Monster one. I've had one since I got this truck in '05 and since I got my first 20GB old school Ipod. Way better than iTrip.

177mph

Reaction score
Hmm. Many folks have posted saying theyve had very good luck with both sound and functionality while keeping the stock stereo. So - Im not sure your argument holds water.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this months Truckin' Magazine. They cover this topic and show an install of a direct plug and play ipod interface unit on a '02 Yukon. This particular unit sounds like it might be what you'd like to do, as it plugs directly into the back of the factory radio and isn't an FM transmitter. Pretty descent tech article.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you use an interface that directly plugs into your stock deck like the ones available from Peripheral, Nucleus, etc, the sound quality is close to that as if using an aftermarket deck and interface. It's the FM mods that sound like crap. I install tons of these interfaces with great results in sound and functionality.