Idiots at dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bernie Lomax

Reaction score
Gas guzzler tax :smilielol:

So what did you pay for your truck? How much over MSRP?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't laugh too hard, the tax is real, we had a discussion on it a while back. Unfortunately RT's dealer mistakenly charged him for it, glad to hear he got his money back! Here's part of the conversation.

I found some info about the gas guzzler tax.

Summary:
Any vehicle which gets less than 21.5mpg combined (weighted) is subject to the tax. However, lucky for us, SUVs and Trucks are exempted as they are considered work vehicles (at the time SUVs hadn't taken off yet). So if you paid the tax for an SUV you ought to go back and break some skulls!

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly but truly, it seems there are more incompetent dealers than good ones. This is one of the main reasons I travel over 45 miles to one that I trust.

I just recently ordered a gas cap from a local one since it's not that big of a deal and they don't have to bring the car in to check it out. They insisted brining in the car to "check it out". Sorry but you're not going on a 20 minute joy ride to check that a gas cap isn't locking. Just give me the damn thing. :mad2:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ok smart guy try this.

one i bought had a sticker price of 54000. the dealer i bought from includes TT&L so no extra fee, what you see is what you pay, but im smart when dealing, as i do deals much higher than this for other people. its my job. broke it down like this.

class A knocked 6k right off the bat .
got gm loyalty knocked another 1k off as i was tradeing in a gmc suburban.
student incentive knocked off another 1k there thats 8 thousand before any real incentives.

the deals running then were red tag sale and dilevery of the NBS sale , at first the dealer said that you cant combine them, i said you cant combine them using The generals name but you can still take the money off, i said im buying your LAST gmt 800 you will ever sell. you need that off your lot, and im the only person who has even looked at it through this whole ordeal, every body wants the new Gmt 900's (NBS style) whats stopping me from buying an 07 at the same sticker price with the incentives you have already givin me. the dealer was smart, came back and said the thing that is gunna stop you is the combined incentives i can get on this one. those added another 3k off the sticker. and 5000 for trade in.

meant i paid 38k TOTAL FOR A BRAND NEW 06 YUKON XL , but paid forty for the tax, but got that back last month. so you see i made out like a bandit for a little research and wheeling and dealing. but it helps that i personnaly know the dealer as a friend. plus he fired his bimbo secratary 3 month ago for not calling back three other buyers who ended up walking, so i was not alone.

Bernie Lomax

Reaction score
Sorry if I insulted you, didn't mean to.

Just one last thing. You know the dealer as a friend, but they charged you $1800 for advertising.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I hate the dealers who assume that you want some 16 year old kid with a brissle brush that has been sitting in a bucket of dirt all day washing your truck!! My cars are black and it only takes once for them to ruin a paint job. A couple of holes are bad, but swirls all over your brand new car, that's when I flip my lid! I took delivery of my '05 Black Duramax right off the delivery truck and would not let them "detail" it, it was always hand washed, and had them put on my record to NOT WASH. Unfortunately I moved to Seattle, went and got an oil change only to find they had washed my truck. Absolutely ruined the paint! Made them buff them all out, but it's never been the same. I highly recommend putting NO WASH on your permanent record at the dealership, especially if you have a dark color.

car-15

Reaction score
good for you. did you get any free oil changes?

I got one more free one, so that is 3 total. No big deal for them as I bring in my own oil and filter (I use Mobil 1)

Just glad it is finally all done. I got my new floor mats in also yesterday so it was an awesome day!

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the subject, I think that if the dealers want you to advertise them in your truck, they should pay you or give you a rebate, not charge you a fee to force too keep their name on your vehicle. I think that's BS, I didn't pay no advertising fee on mine.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I insulted you, didn't mean to.

Just one last thing. You know the dealer as a friend, but they charged you $1800 for advertising.

didnt insult me, just getting facts strait, and no he did not directly charge me. we did the real deal stuff one day, and while i waited for the new third row to come in, i did not pay them, the secratary was not filled in on all that took place that day when i came back to pay for it and pick up the truck so she added all these fees that i later straitened out with steve.

yes back on topic, GLAD YOU GOT IT WORKED OUT, and that you got more oil changes in the process :yesnod:

ki4izq

Reaction score
where do you all live that have an advertising fee??? how does this work???? do you have to leave the stickers/badges on for a set time???
i have never heard of this....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where do you all live that have an advertising fee??? how does this work???? do you have to leave the stickers/badges on for a set time???
i have never heard of this....

no you got it confused.

the advertising fee is what you are supposed to pay for seeing the commercial and coming in, like if it was not for the commercial you would have not come in. DUH stupid i know but thats why we coined the term STEALERSHIP. it does not matter about the dealer name on the back, i originally requested they leave the label off, they said ok, we will knock off the advertising fee if you leave it on then. so i keep it on since i get my oil changes and routine matanence done there too.

ki4izq

Reaction score
ok, my misunderstanding.....

but seriously... is there a line item on the invoice for this or is it just rolled into the price???

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advertising fees! LMAO.
If a dealer tried to charge me an advertising fee I would tell him to go to hell(or probably something much worse) and then go to another dealership.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not, under any circumstance, pay an advertising fee. If I had to, I would sport the dealer's little logo for as long as it took me to drive home and take the damn thing off...

Of course, I would need to confirm that they use no tabs on their logo first!