In the process of changing headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey right now I'm trying to change my headlights. These just came in the mail today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I already have both ride side housings off of the truck. But I can't get the DRL bulb out. The GMC book says "remove the bulb" so I'm assuming it just comes straight out? I've already tried needle nose pliers and now I'm just stripping the part that the bulb rests in. Maybe it's fused in there over the past five years.

Edit: Just gave it a huge yank and it finally came out with a loud snap.

The new housings look really nice actually, and it all appears to be plug-and-play except the halo part, which I will ask about later. I'll post pics soon.

Last edited:

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay everything is in and works...except the halos because they are not wired. It frustrates me because there are adapters for everything, except for the halos. In each housing, there are two exposed red wires. I don't really know what to do with them. Am I supposed to splice those into the parking light wires?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I have attempted to get the halos wired but no success. If you click the ebay link to my headlights, you will notice that there are two red wires with exposed ends. Those are the halo wires. But they are not labeled, and they are both red. Do you think these are both power wires? I thought one of them would surely be a ground.

I found the brown wire and the corresponding black wire that represent the parking lights. Anyway, I bought some wire tap-in squeeze connectors from radio shack. By purely guessing, I tapped one of the red halo wires into the brown battery wire, and the other one into the ground wire. They wouldn't light up.

Judging by those results, I dont think that both of the red wires are positive. Because if both were positive, then one of the halos would have lit up, because one of the red wires was hooked up to the brown battery wire. I'm guessing that I have the red wires reversed right now, and I may go switch them (positive is tapped into the ground and vice versa) What are your thoughts?

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im having the same problem with mine, i tried hooking them up like that and neither work. i have one halo light up when the brights are on. mine are similiar to yours though for the halo, with the two red lines coming out.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not trying to whore this thread but you know its so much BS how you pre-07 Tahoe/Yukon drivers have so many good options for changing your headlights and us 07-up drivers are stuck with some ugly BS hard to wire tonka truck lights!

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ghost face I just read your topic, and followed JK's recommendation about the two red wires possibly being both positive. So I wired them both to the brown battery wire, still nothing. I'm so pissed right now. And now it's too dark outside and I had to put everything back in so I can drive tonight. Any suggestions?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each one of those wires powers one halo, one if for the one around the low beam and the other for the one around the high beam.
1. Check your connections for loose connections and make sure you did not blow a fuse.
2. Try turning on the whole headlight assembly, maybe the lows have to be on for hte Halo to function.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My connections seem really snug. Here is a pic of what I did. There are two red wire tappers that are both going along the brown wire. Each of those has a red wire for a halo. I turned on the lows and highs, still nothing. It shouldnt even matter really. This is supposed to get power from the bumper signal. Those still work by the way, so this isn't the fault of the brown wire.

Attachments

• Headlights 3 002.jpg
    Headlights 3 002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 20

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not trying to whore this thread but you know its so much BS how you pre-07 Tahoe/Yukon drivers have so many good options for changing your headlights and us 07-up drivers are stuck with some ugly BS hard to wire tonka truck lights!

I dont mean to change the thred eaither. But agree, one of the biggest things I miss about my 06. Was how much stuff there was for it and how easy it was.

I would switch them and tell us what you get. Other wise im not sure. I had some that looked like that before I got denali projectors and they had red and black. Red to brown black to black (ground). No help I know, but let us know. :thumbsup:

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm scared to switch anything now because

a. I have no way of remembering which red one was hooked up to the ground and which to the battery when i did it the first way
b. I can't really remove those wire tappers either because I squeezed them using pliers. They are not supposed to come off.

The two red wires are probably positive, and are supposed to be connected to the brown wire, like JK said in the other topic. I can't figure out why mine wont work though.

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the white wires further up in the harness are the grounds, the reds should be straight to the parking lights, i havent really messed with mine due to it raining out. but i do have the one light up with my brights on, but the low beam halo doesnt light up. ive cecked every fuse and there all good. if i figure something out ill let you know.

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so heres what im going to do when it stops raining. the halos are wired into a 4 prong plug which then goes to the little relay where only 2 red wires come out. im going to disconnect mine at the plug and just wire the whites to a ground and red to the parking light and bypass that relay all together.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so heres what im going to do when it stops raining. the halos are wired into a 4 prong plug which then goes to the little relay where only 2 red wires come out. im going to disconnect mine at the plug and just wire the whites to a ground and red to the parking light and bypass that relay all together.

Yep I have the same type. i have 2 reds, 2 whites going into a really small harness. But only two reds come out, both of which I have wired to the brown wire. So far I have only screwed with the passenger side, because I can't even get it to work.

Your idea sounds reasonable though. Something could have gotten screwed up inside the relay.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one of them working, but ran out of wire quick-connectors so I never made it permanent. Just got back from wal-mart with 20 of them. One of the red wires is positive and the other is for the ground, but the idiots who made this didnt label them. I'm going to try and finish this up tonight. I will post pics if I am successful.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAM did it. I will never do one of these again. :crazy:

Attachments

• Headlights 001.jpg
    Headlights 001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Headlights 002.jpg
    Headlights 002.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 18

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Happy you got it done!
I'm just kind of jealous about how I can't have a Headlight like that for my 07!

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Happy you got it done!
I'm just kind of jealous about how I can't have a Headlight like that for my 07!

Thanks. The factory tails look out of place now though. I am still waiting for X3 racing to get the red smoked LED tails back in.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taillights coming in for the Tahoe tomorrow, all I need is headlights now!