intake manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i been looking around for a aftermarket intake manifold for the new engine i'm planning for my hoe,does anyone make an aftermarket one for a 1996 model,all i have seen stop at 95.any light on the situation would be great,as i said before not a big gm guy,my training is in honda toyota and nissan but i gotta say i wouldn't trade my hoe for any other model!

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the Central mounted injection system? I have that on my 98 and if it is, there's no aftermarket manifold. Someone does sell a spacer to increase the plenum volume, though.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the Central mounted injection system? I have that on my 98 and if it is, there's no aftermarket manifold. Someone does sell a spacer to increase the plenum volume, though.

Interesting...didn't know that. Please post the link.

When I found out I needed new heads...I decided that everything I had to take off would be upgraded if it was possible. There is not aftermarket intake b.c of out Spider Injection. You cna change the fuel injection system or get it ported.

I am going to get mine ported but first I gg see how thick the walls are already. While its torn down might as well do the LIM too.

Won't know till I do them...Good Question by the way.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my BIL's Silverado burnt a valve, his garage wanted $2500.00 to repair it. I told him to forget that, and we pulled out the old Summit catalog, bought a pair of Dart Vortec heads, a gasket kit, etc for about $850.00 delivered, took a Saturday and redid the top-end of his truck! MAN, what a difference those heads made! Not certain if it was because they were fresh or if they really were just that much better than stock, but at 1/3 the cost of replacing ONE burnt valve, he was good to go!

Then he threw a rod... and scrapped the engine, complete with those sweet heads (idiot).

Question I have- on my 95 "almost Vortec" 5.7, can I use an LT1 (I think I'm using the right name) TPI manifold and injection, and will it even be worth the trouble?

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will aftermarket heads like the vortec ones on the gm crate 383 work with our intake?

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out EQ Cylinder head. They make a great quality replacement Vortec head. Superior to factory heads.

I BELIEVE Edelbrock may make an LT1 manifold for Vortecs. I don't know that that short ram manifold will have suitable low end torque for a truck...

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a link or place to buy the eq cylinder heads?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my BIL's Silverado burnt a valve, his garage wanted $2500.00 to repair it. I told him to forget that, and we pulled out the old Summit catalog, bought a pair of Dart Vortec heads, a gasket kit, etc for about $850.00 delivered, took a Saturday and redid the top-end of his truck! MAN, what a difference those heads made! Not certain if it was because they were fresh or if they really were just that much better than stock, but at 1/3 the cost of replacing ONE burnt valve, he was good to go!

Then he threw a rod... and scrapped the engine, complete with those sweet heads (idiot).

Question I have- on my 95 "almost Vortec" 5.7, can I use an LT1 (I think I'm using the right name) TPI manifold and injection, and will it even be worth the trouble?

I was thinking the same thing too as well as mating it up a LT-1 Stock Cam.
BUTTT vette heads are Aluminium. Thats the scary part!

Your friends is a tool! Sorry

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing too as well as mating it up a LT-1 Stock Cam.
BUTTT vette heads are Aluminium. Thats the scary part!

There are ways to convert our fuel system. I didn't know but Vortec Engine is built for Boats. Actually come with better block and forged internals...inclduing the crank (corect me if I am wrong). Also it comes with a different intake manifold that actually uses injectors. Somehere on the baords did the swap. "Mercury Cruiser Intake Manifold" he did it b.c he has a Whippeled his Hoe!

Your friends is a tool! Sorry

Z56 Tahoe

Reaction score
I don't think LT1 bolt pattern is the same as Vortex 5.7. My 95 Imp SS is no where close to the Vortex.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
i had to replace the intake minifold for my 96 and i was wonderin the same with intakes, the main problem with them is the bolt pattern there is 4 bolts in the back and 4 up front and the lt1 has 2 more on each side in the center, if you want to get really seriouse you can do a ls base motor swap, more power :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGQrdl_Tj8&feature=channel_page

now i also know u can get a mercury marine intake mainfold and have actul fuel injection with fuel rails

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now i also know u can get a mercury marine intake mainfold and have actul fuel injection with fuel rails

Here's mine.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did u buy that from and how much? and does it pass inspection? lol thats always the biggy

Info about the marine vortec intake can be found here:
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317

Information about buying one can be found in this thread. Technically it is not legal but can be made to look very similar to stock and function just like stock. EGR will have to be added as a divorced setup like on the 99-02 gen3 truck engines.