Just finished Gasket/Spider up grade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The, engine starts...runs rough, idles poorly.
I marked the dist, and the rotor to the firewall, marked the dist in whiteout at the rotor button position.
I aligned the factory white mark with the dimple at the bottom of the dist shaft.
All looked well when I reinstalled, but.....
I need any advice I can get to remedy the problem.
One problem I have is being unable to locate the timing marks, you used to be able to look down an see timing marks (timing light days)
Any one got pictures of the marks...
Help appreciated, Ron

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No marks on the newer ones, I am ASSUMING you are rocking a Vortec then? What year is your rig?

IIRC set engine to TDC Cyl #1, align rotor to #8 stamped in dist base.

Make shure you didn't cross up any injector hoses....

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to Vote this morning, but when i get back I going to check wiring @ the dist, and make sure I dont have a wire crossed.

I have a 99 Yukon 5.7 Vortec R ....I cant see a timing mark on the chain cover or any where else. Is the mark only visible from under the vehicle?????

I checked the spider hoses many times, I'm 99% their right

About the quick disconnect....yes I did just as you suggested, even tried to force it in, replace it with the old one to move on.....
Thanks for your replies...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not any timing marks per se on these engines, you really don't have a distributor, more of a voltage switch.