Looking to Buy/Lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been using the site for about two weeks now, and its GREAT!!:thumbsup: I have read just about every thread on buying or leasing a Tahoe/Yukon and for the most part have gotten some good information. I currently own a 1997 Tahoe with 151,000 miles on it (with no major problems until now) which lived up to the slogan "Like a Rock." I absolutely love it but have been informed that the transmission is on its last legs:cryin: . I have absolutely fallen in love with the look of the new Tahoes and Yukons but money is very tight right now. Which brings me to my question, is it worth looking into buying and leasing and a brand new or barely used Tahoe or Yukon or just shelling out the dough for a new transmission? I have a while until my transmission is dead, but I know that a lot of places are having "model year clearance" sales. So should I act now or wait for rebates. And if you think I should get a new one, how can I get one for pennies and a dollar, or can I. This site is great, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens I will always drive a Tahoe, new or old. Thanks in advance!:Chevy:

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. The obvious answer is - it depends.

First off - how much will a new tranny set back? $1500? Check with your garage and who ever diagnosed it.
A 97 Tahoe with 151K on the clock is only going to be worth about $5000 on trade so if you combine that and the $1500 you'd spend on the repair you've got $6500 down.

At that point you need to look at what you want the vehicle to do -
Are you going to drive it more than 15,000 a year? Leasing might not even be an option.
Plan on owning it for more than 5 years?
GM has some great current offers right now - up to $6000 off and/or some 0% financing. I'd buy rather than lease if you can qualify for 0% money. And I'd get a new model rather than a used unless it's a heckuva a deal. The new ones are lightyears ahead of the 06's on style, comfort and ride.

My 2¢ - find someone who can give you a GMS certificate. Don't confuse it with a GM Friends and Family program. GMS is several percentage points under what the GMF&F program rates are. On top of that, you will get all the rebates and incentives. With some work and a dealer who'll work with you - not all dealers will accept GMS certificates - know before you go - you should be able to get a good out the door price.

Good luck!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Hello and welcome, it sounds you and I are in the same mind set as far as I too am absolutely in love with the current GMT 900 series Tahoe body. I'm keeping mine for ever and money permitting I want a Z 71 down the road.
Leasing is an expensive way to rent a car and unless you are a business that puts a ton of miles on a car per year, I would avoid a lease or Fleasing as I call it.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for responding! I'm sure that I will not drive over 15,000 miles a year, which is why I am leaning toward leasing if I can. Also how would I get a GMS certificate? Would I have to work for GM or know someone who does? Again thank you both BuckT, and Lap Top Gamer for your input.

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMS Certs come from someone who actually works for GM or a major supplier. Not a dealership employee, but a GM manufacturing person. Search around on the internet and you'll find a few folks who are able to supply you with a cert. It may take some googling but it will be worth it.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually lease the cars up to 2-3 years. :D If I would to keep it for a long time then I"d buy them