Loose Steering on 01?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the full monte

Reaction score
It seems like the steering in my 01 Tahoe is REALLY loose....does anyone know if this can be adjusted? Is there a mod for it maybe?

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the intermediate steering shaft. Common issue, relatively easy $250 fix.

the full monte

Reaction score
Little reading just suggested that it might also be the speed sensor at the base of the steering column????

the full monte

Reaction score
What do you mean bby loose steering? Do you mean it feels overassisited?

its wicked easy to turn...and you turn the wheel a lot...for very little actual turn.

Driving during windy conditions is a nightmare....in a decent wind....its not uncommon for me to hold my steering wheel at almost 2 o'clock. Problem is....you pass an area where the wind dies....and you get a pretty wicked push back the other way....causes over-correction.

My wife darn near refuses to drive my truck for this reason alone

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I checked my front end out and everything checked out ok. So I cucked it up to the nature of the beast.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The "wind swerve" as you call it, good name btw, has decreased a lot, I have noticed, after I lowered the truck.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 01 also..
I know what you mean by over assisted. I don’t know if it’s because they got everything right and this is how a nice truck is supposed to steer but I don’t like it. I added a steering dampener and it made a world of difference, the bump steer is also much better. Unfortunately the ease of turning the tires from the steering wheel works both ways, you hit a good sized pothole and it’ll take the damn wheel right out of your hands.

skyjacker_single_stabilizer.jpg

Dahlar

Reaction score
Can you use those stabilizers on a stock suspension? Most I found require a lifted vehicle.

aglandcattleman

Reaction score
Loose steering also

The steering got a lot better on the Yukon once I got rid of the factory shocks. But the steering is still bad. I know on my 2500HD I replaced the pitman arm and idler arm. Cognito has fixes for both of these. This is the only problem I knew of untill I read this post and someone mention the steeing shaft.

sparvin

Reaction score
We bought ours 2 yrs ago and the steering was a concern then. Took it to a dealer before purchase and the guy basically said, "loose, easy steering good, hard steering bad" so this being our first yukon, we kinda figured that's what they did. It's good to know we're not the only ones. I drive my F250 most of the time and the yukon's my wife's, but when I drive hers, I can't keep it straight down the road. It likes to wander. Has anyone replaced the intermediate steering shaft and seen a change?

91RS

Reaction score
its wicked easy to turn...and you turn the wheel a lot...for very little actual turn.

Driving during windy conditions is a nightmare....in a decent wind....its not uncommon for me to hold my steering wheel at almost 2 o'clock. Problem is....you pass an area where the wind dies....and you get a pretty wicked push back the other way....causes over-correction.

My wife darn near refuses to drive my truck for this reason alone

That sounds like overassisted to me. That would pobably be the EVO sensor on the bottom of the steering column. The I-shaft replacement is for clunking. There is absolutly no need to add a steering dampener. Whenever the system senses something is wrong it gives full steering assist at all time as a failsafe. Unless you want to throw parts at it, why don't you just take it to the dealer and have them look at it? That way they can check over everything and replace the part that is really broken.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing 'really broken' on my truck and the steering dampener made it just the way I like it. Be careful about speaking in ‘definite’s’ there is only one guarantee that I can give you, and that is ‘You don’t know everything’. What may work for you won’t do sh!t for someone else........

91RS

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you then, your truck has the EVO steering and when the system is working properly it should not feel overassisted or too easy to turn. They feel just the same as the 03-06 trucks.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, you might be right… all I know for sure is when I am running my directional’s that are 12.5 inches wide, each……... they are some rut grabbing mothers. The dampener helped a ton for me.

91RS

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, you might be right… all I know for sure is when I am running my directional’s that are 12.5 inches wide, each……... they are some rut grabbing mothers. The dampener helped a ton for me.

The damper would help for something like that, but it sounded like the OP is talking about the steering feels way overassisted all the time (and especially noticeable in parking lot maneuvers).