Low oil pressure fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselfamily

Reaction score
Just thought i would share this in case someone else has the same issue.
For anyone who has lower than normal oil pressure or if your oil pressure climbs when the engine warms up (My oil pressure was at 20-30 when cold and 30-40 when warm) you might have the same problem i did. The O-Ring that seals the pickup tube to the oil pump needs replacement. Mine basically fell apart when i tried to remove it from the pickup tube.
Took me about 4 hrs and $55 worth of parts (O-ring-felpro 72401) and (Oil pan gasket- felpro OS30693R).
First drain the oil and remove the filter. Then You have to remove the 4 nuts and 2 bolts holding the front diff up. Next remove 1 10mm bolt hold the wiring harness to the oil pan, 1 10mm bolt holding the tranny lines to the side of the pan, and 1 10mm bolt holding a small plastic bellhousing cover to the oil pan. Then you remove the oil pan bolts and drop the pan. Finally you remove the 2 13mm nuts and 1 10mm bolt holding the oil pump pickup tube on, and the pickup tube should almost fall out. Hardest part is dropping the front diff down far enough to sneak the oil pan out.
After this fix my oil pressure is 60-65psi cold and 40-50psi hot.

GoldmistXL

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. Have a similar issue on a 2007 Yukon with the 6.2 liter engine. At cold start the oil pressure is @ 40psi, and its similar psi when warmed up and driving. But at stoplights the pressure drops to below 10psi, almost in the red zone of the gauge.

What year and engine is your truck?

My mechanic is telling me that he doesn't think the o-ring is the main issue but even if it is, if he's going to go to the trouble of dropping the oil pan, that he should change the oil pump too.

Any info related to this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: