LT3 vs LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White Ghost

Reaction score
I am looking for input in helping me decide between an '08 LT3 or LTZ. Both are equipt almost the same including the 20" wheels. My only question is the type of ride between the LT3 suspension vs the Autoride on the LTZ. Are there any real differences between the two suspensions? Which one is more reliable? Which one gives a more comfortable ride?

goldenrod49

Reaction score
I just got the LTZ. I don't know exactly know what the autoride is doing but it is doing it seemlessly. The ride and handling is awesome.

jleech

Reaction score
lt3 or ltz

The LT3 will ride better if you get it with the 18" wheels.The 20" wheels have a lower sidewall and slighter stiffer ride.Try out both on the same road and you will know what you want. Make sure the air pressure is the same in both vehicles.

ChadTahoeZ71

Reaction score
We have the '07 Z71 LT3 and love it. The only thing we don't have is the autoride. From what I understand, you cannot go in 2 wheel drive in the LTZ. You may sacrifice a bit of fuel mileage if that's true. We run in 2wheel drive most of the time.

Good luck on deciding... you'll love either one.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the '07 Z71 LT3 and love it. The only thing we don't have is the autoride. From what I understand, you cannot go in 2 wheel drive in the LTZ. You may sacrifice a bit of fuel mileage if that's true. We run in 2wheel drive most of the time.

Good luck on deciding... you'll love either one.

LTZ drivetrain capabilities are no different than an LT3. I'm in 2WD all day long...

1BadPig

Reaction score
The wife and I drove the LT3 with 18" wheels and LTZ with 20" before deciding on the LT3. There is a definite difference felt on the "tushy" meter. ;)

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test drove both the LTZ with 20s and the Z71/LT3 with 18s several times before buying on dry, wet and snowy roads and my tush-meter and back told me that the Z71 had maybe just a little bouncier/stiffer ride but the interior trim/seats looked better on the Z71 model. Plus, the fact that I see 50 LTZs to 1 Z71, makes my ride more unique to me and I don't regret the choice.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 is an off road tuned suspension, it will give a less comfortable ride.
However, 18" tires on a Z71 should be more comfortable than an LTZ with 20" lower profile tires.

jleech

Reaction score
LT3 Ride

I have one more comment reguarding the ride of the LT3.If you get the standard wheels, which are 17" instead of 18",this will give you the most cushiony ride of them all,in my opinion.You will have the standard suspension, also, and save a little money in the deal too_Of course, those 20" wheels look the coolest, but when you replace those tires,I have heard they cost big bucks.

sdoo25

Reaction score
Of course, those 20" wheels look the coolest, but when you replace those tires,I have heard they cost big bucks.

According to tire rack the 20" OE tires are about $160 and the 17"OE tires are about $115. Might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only question is the type of ride between the LT3 suspension vs the Autoride on the LTZ. Are there any real differences between the two suspensions? Which one is more reliable? Which one gives a more comfortable ride?

Does the LT3 come with the ride height adjustable rear suspension? The kind where when you put a heavy trailer on the hitch, it will raise the rear back up to normal ride height? Or is that only available on the LTZ? I haven't seen any info on it for the LT3.

Thanks

jleech

Reaction score
Autoride

The autoride suspension is standard on the LTZ, optional on the LT3.