Mpg increase with tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jenna, I've e-mailed justin a time or two with questions, and I'm really leaning more and more with just plunkung down the cash (when I can afford it) and calling you guys up. We just moved though so the coffers are a bit drained at the moment, lol.

A couple of quick questions though:

1. How much difference does intake and exhaust work make in the final tune? How much extra power do you typically see from customers with all stock vehicles vs basic bolt ons?

Exhaust is very little change in the tune. Intake can require a moderate change in the tune to be "nailed down", but both are well within the realm of the ECM's ability to learn and adjust.

2. You guys re-tune for free (less shipping) if I were to add bolt on's later, right?

That is correct. All you pay is $10 for shipping and whatever ECM/TCM core charges and/or scan cable security deposits.

3. Can you guys tune the 07+ engines with active fuel management?

Yes sir. Have tuned quite a bit of them now. Which engine code do you have? (8th character of VIN)

I'm trying like hell to get my father in law to call you guys - he just bought an 08 Silverado LTZ 1500, and spent an ungodly amount on a custom exhaust, S&B intake and an Edge Products tuner.

He's completely convinced that he's getting a 40-50hp increase just from the Edge tuner :)skep:), because that's what the asshat that sold him all of this stuff told him. I've tried to tell him tactfully that he got ripped off, but I think he's in big time denial due to the amount of money he's spent on that crap. :rolleyes2:
:iq:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lol. Yeah, he's the type of guy that once he gets something in his head, it's correct no matter what logic you apply. It's his company truck anyway so he doesn't really give a rat's ass, but still, I drive it on occasion so I wouldn't mind having a REAL tune on it. :cool2: I'll laugh when my 00 Yukon ends up faster with better driveability than his brand new truck, lol. :rolleyes:

Not sure on the VIN, but I'll check it out tomorrow or tuesday and PM you. Does that make a difference? It's brand new...it has maybe 5000 miles on the clock.

Also one more thing - being that I live in the Denver area, regular unleaded up here is 85 octane (bleh), and mid-grade is 87. I know that your tunes generally require 87, but since we're at altitude up here, will 85 suffice in place of 87, and 87 in place of 89, etc? Or should I run 87 in my truck regardless once I get the tune?

Also, if I fill with 85 then travel to a lower elevation, will that screw things up?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure on the VIN, but I'll check it out tomorrow or tuesday and PM you. Does that make a difference? It's brand new...it has maybe 5000 miles on the clock.
Yes it does matter, I will wait for your PM.

Also one more thing - being that I live in the Denver area, regular unleaded up here is 85 octane (bleh), and mid-grade is 87. I know that your tunes generally require 87, but since we're at altitude up here, will 85 suffice in place of 87, and 87 in place of 89, etc? Or should I run 87 in my truck regardless once I get the tune?

Also, if I fill with 85 then travel to a lower elevation, will that screw things up?
87 would be better than the 85. GM trucks don't compensate for altitude with timing the way other vehicles do. Your ignition tables are set up based on rpm and incoming cylinder air mass. As altitude increases, the air density decreases and thus air mass per given volume decreases. As a result, instead of referencing a column of .60g/cyl of air, you may see .56g/cyl. The ignition tables are still optimized for the higher octane, just at a lower air mass.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. Yeah, he's the type of guy that once he gets something in his head, it's correct no matter what logic you apply. It's his company truck anyway so he doesn't really give a rat's ass, but still, I drive it on occasion so I wouldn't mind having a REAL tune on it. :cool2: I'll laugh when my 00 Yukon ends up faster with better driveability than his brand new truck, lol. :rolleyes:

Those evolutions actually make pretty decent power for a handheld, you'd be surprised how many I sell after I recommend a custom tune just because the person is lazy. I'd run 91 in your truck from now on, it doesn't cost much more if you do the math and the truck will run way better on premium fuel (especially with a 91oct tune). I have no doubt your truck will be faster once you get a good tune from justin, there is a night and day difference from my truck and a guy at work's 5.3 now that I'm tuned...it wasn't so close before.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What software? EFILive? HPTuners? Has your guy ever used the software before?!?!?

Blackout

Reaction score
Not sure what software it is. I know him and his partner have used it before though. He just had the dyno installed a month ago but he had one at his other shop. He's getting ready to tune his Minirammed , nitrous fed 416 in his Firebird.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cool! Hopefully it isn't an inertia dyno, as those are only good for WOT.

StylerG

Reaction score
Jenna

New tahoe owner (04 Z71 5.3, 3.73 gears) and have been following this thread to see the answer to gas mileage improvements for a vehicle that has no other mods. From reading around on the site an intake and exhaust will give minimal benefits (arguably) with an intake being a better option than an exhaust. If those are true, i will keep those things stock on my vehicle (dont want whine of intake noise or rumble of exhaust) but want the benefits of a tune. I have no question about the performance gains i'll get, but i dont feel like you've given a direct answer to the gas mileage question on a stock tahoe. I've been averaging 13.5 in town and am reading about 17+ in town....how do i get there ha! Thanks.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly, the best way to get the optimal MPG would boil down to the throttle you use, the quality of gas (if you live in the South DO NOT get Racetrack Gas). The direct answer would be an average of 1-2MPG gain on a stock Tahoe, but this varies upon the driver and vehicle.

StylerG

Reaction score
Wow
thanks for the quick reply on that! I feel like im driving like a grandma, live in Oklahoma City so its on and off freeway driving. Would i see a larger improvement if i did an intake as well? The other thing im considering is a basic tune (no cable) because its just stock-is this logical thinking??

Edit-other question, can you cable tune with a mac computer?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are power gains to be had with an intake, some see MPG gains and some don't, so I really don't have a recommendation on that.

As far as traditional vs. cable the biggest benefit for a cable is when you have modifications, higher mileage, or some cases a mechanical issue can be detected before they become a problem. A cable will also allow for you to perform your own crank re-learn, however a traditional tune can be had much quicker. If really is up to you as the consumer.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting about 30 extra miles per tank after the tune and have been driving at wot quite a bit more. Compared to the superchips I had on the truck it's not even close, get the scan cable tune and you'll be very satisfied :D Intake made no difference for me in terms of fuel economy.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run 91 in your truck from now on, it doesn't cost much more if you do the math and the truck will run way better on premium fuel (especially with a 91oct tune). I have no doubt your truck will be faster once you get a good tune from justin, there is a night and day difference from my truck and a guy at work's 5.3 now that I'm tuned...it wasn't so close before.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Having a 91 Octane tune might actually be worth the extra cost of fuel. Gotta get all my mods figured out though...I still need torsion keys, coil spacers, shocks, tires, a new windshield, tranny, t-case and diffs serviced....lots on my list right now, lol.

I just took a second job though so hopefully I'll be able to afford all of that stuff by the time fall rolls around.

I PMed you a while back about tires too, so if you have anything with a minimum of 50% tread laying around in 285 75 16, let me know. My tires are getting bad so I really don't care what I get at this point lol.

nummyx6

Reaction score
Hate to revive an old thread, but I am trying to justify this for myself. I have an 03 Yukon XL with 109k on it. It currently has the check engine symbol illuminated and the DIC is telling me that i am getting about 15.5 mpg cartin kids around town. Which, according to what I am reading is a little on the high side from what some of you guys are getting.

Now I do plan to reapir/replace whatever has cuase the check engine condition. But I was wondering what to expect in terms of increase MPG from a scan cable tune....AND what does something like that run $$?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MPG increases will all be determined on the driver, the type of gas (quality and octane), the load, modifications, as well as the type of driving. We typically see 1-4 MPG increase.

The scan cable price is currently $200 (refundable cable deposit of $400).

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I personally do not do the tuning :umn: but my husband and I own BlackBear Performance. I think we are currently the only tuning business that offers a cable tune (soon to be a handheld). :cool2:

nummyx6

Reaction score
So how exactly does the "cable" plug into the vehicle, and then how do you connect it to a PC to be able to email results?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The cable plugs into the OBD II port and has an USB end which plugs into your computer (laptops are suggested for ease of use).