Muffler question(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to do this again guys, i know this is redundant.

1st) what is the inlet size of these things? I went outside, measured around the tube and divided by 3.14 and got 2.86"... so clearly that isnt right... or is it? I am assuming the inlet size is 3"

2nd) how do i know which magnaflo is going to perform the best on these trucks, would you recomend just measuring the stock muffler and useing the same diminsions?

here is what i am looking at..

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.a...Muffler+Inlet+Size=3"&canned_results_trigger=

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, thats the one... the foolishly retarded one... still cant figure out that dual out thing... did you leave the dual out when you upgraded?

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, welded it up to the factory exhaust, then when I lowered it, cut off past the muffler and just added dumps. If you plan to do that, just get a 3" in and 3" out, add a dump right after muffler.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny you say that cuz my next question was going to be

"you think it would matter if i just dumped right behind the muffler?"

I hate the look of the exhaust pipe, its got to go... but it has to be accessable to the emissions or i fail automaticly. So i will have to U-bolt up a pipe when i want to pass emisions

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want the deep rumble, for sure...then have it where you can pull that off, and add the extension to pass inspections.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not looking for the crazy rumble... which is why i want the 24" magna... but i do want it to sound meaner then what i have......... stock

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Yanno, I like how we all know the "Which muffler does what, with what, and measured with what" have been asked time and time again, yet no one is rude by saying SEARCH!!!!

WTG guys.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster 50 Big Block. I went with this and am very happy. Has the typical flowmaster rumble and sounds great. Gets loud when you put your foot into it but when driving normally it really isn't that bad. Nice low rumble, that is what I would recommend.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yanno, I like how we all know the "Which muffler does what, with what, and measured with what" have been asked time and time again, yet no one is rude by saying SEARCH!!!!

WTG guys.

your right man... i always forget to use the search... i always forget its there, so i spend like 30 minutes going through all my old threads to find what i am looking for then just give up and post new... i will try not to forget, im alright with people being rude bacuese i know its annoying seeing the same thread over and over again....

Flowmaster 50 Big Block. I went with this and am very happy. Has the typical flowmaster rumble and sounds great. Gets loud when you put your foot into it but when driving normally it really isn't that bad. Nice low rumble, that is what I would recommend.

i need the quietest muffler i can get because shortly after i install the muffler i will be doing long tube headers which will add a lot of tone!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Hey Ty, I was in no way calling you out. I just want to be clear that I was actually complimenting our forum members here.

Lord knows I have posted things that may have been covered before, and I like how it really isn't a big deal that we say "USE THE SEARCH" or some other snide comment.

I've been on some boards where I have designated those who point out repost the Repost Police.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now, i think i want to go with the magna... seems to get a lot of good feed back... however i am not sure on the overall size that is most popular with fellow 5.3l owners.

I dont want the 14", I would prefer the 24" but might go with the 18"... however, they also have so many different height/width combos and i cant seem to find anything about the difference.

they make a 5"x8" - a 4"x8" - a 5"x11".... what the hell... which one is the right one? the factory sh!t is 8"x12"x24"

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being the poster boy of patience that i am... i went ahead and ordered my magnaflow just now.... got the single in single out 5"x8"x24".... now i just need to find some cheap dumps

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they sure do bone you on the price of a peice of metal...son of b!tches