My 04's Tahoe Battery Dies After Day or Two of no use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgdecker

Reaction score
I've had my 04 Tahoe z71 for over a year with a viper remote start and a pioneer AVIC D-2 navigation. I haven't had any issues problems with the electrical or the Tahoe, but lately if the car isn't driven every day, it dies completely. I've replaced the battery, then the alternator, but the problem still persists. Its a symptom similar as if i were to leave my dome lights on or even my headlights, but the obviously ones are off.

Has anyone had this problem or have any recommendations? I'm very strapped for cash, so I'd like to stay out of the repair shop if at all possible and would highly appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Kyle

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to find the source of the drain on it.
Start with a fully charged battery, put a DC Ampmeter in series with the positive lead, and pull fuses till you find the major one causing the drain on it.
Then you can go ahead and find a solution from that.

kgdecker

Reaction score
You need to find the source of the drain on it.
Start with a fully charged battery, put a DC Ampmeter in series with the positive lead, and pull fuses till you find the major one causing the drain on it.
Then you can go ahead and find a solution from that.

I'll have to go out and get a DC Ampmeter, never used anything but test lights, but understand the basics on electrical. I am assuming when you say "in serious you mean hook the positive lead to the battery and use the ground to poke around in the fuse block, when something reads power, than chances are thats my culprit?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO. IN SERIES.
I mean put the amp meter in between the positive battery terminal and the positive battery cable.

You'll need one that can read up to about 10 amps, probably.

If you are not savvy on electricity, take it to someone who is.