Need Help New to Chevy Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeMommy

Reaction score
Hi i just bought a 1999 chevy tahoe 5.7l 4x4 2 mos ago, while driving on the freeway at 70 mph my tahoe completely stalled and wouldnt start back up. We coasted into the city and got it to Oreillys. The codes said bad throttle body sensor, bad o2 sensor, and something with the catalytic converter. Replaced throttle body sensor (also no engine light came on) didnt fix the rough idle or the popping noise from the air filter when we got it started. Air filter is clean. Just replaced fuel filter today and completely cleaned the throttle body. Also added sea foam to clean the injectors and such. Went to start it after purging some of the air out of the fuel lines, wouldnt start drained battery. Recharged battery got it running but it still pops. It runs better if we unplug the throttle body sensor but not good enough. Cant afford to put it in the shop. A small whirring noise from the fuel pump but not loud or bad more like a small bumblebee sound, could that be going bad? Please help me figure it out what is causing it to act up. im paying a ton of money for a lemon i think. Any advice would help Thanks Tahoe Mommy

henryjustin66

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe and a 98 Silverado. I have had this same popping problem and it was the distributer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try unplugging the MAF sensor (the round sensor in the air duct, unplug the electrical connection- this disables it), see if that helps.

If not, try running it with some carb cleaner sprayed into the intake while someone cranks it over.

What I am trying to get at is I suspect you are way lean, probably from a bad MAF sensor (don't replace it, just unplug it unless it runs better), or low fuel input (hence the adding of carb cleaner as an alternate fuel).

Of course all this is a moot point if you have access to a fuel pressure guage and you could hook it up and see what your pressure is.

Codes are only as good as the tech diagnosing them. Do you have the specific codes numbers?