Need Help With cleaning my Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im having a hard time getting my chrome wheels to get the deep shine that I'm looking for. I bought my truck used and I guess the previous owner didnt care for them as highly as I would have. But Ive been using the meguairs hit chrome spray and it works good, but my wheels have a haze to it that im trying to get out...

Its not a horrid looking haze but Im tryin to get these things to shine like brand new... I was washing my truck the other day and some guy pulled up and when he finished washing his chrome wheels i was mad his looked better then mine.... HELP:confused2:

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im waiting on one of the Gurus to come in and bless us with information. Ive been reading that chrome polishes might do the job, but I'm waiting for a definitive answer.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiars has a new Chrome Polish that you can use, seems to work great from what I read on MOL.

Also, Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum polish is made for Chrome as well

Try that

Aaron

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another product that works well is NEVR DULL. Not sure but I think Eagle One owns them now. The application is done from a can of impregnated cotton. It's easy to remove light rust spots and get a great lasting shine. I have been using the stuff since I was a teenager in Florida keeping brightwork on boats shiny in Coconut Grove. http://www.nevrdull.com/

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true, Never Dull is good, but if the previous owner didn't take care of them, no 'spray on' cleaner will work. You'll need elbow grease. :D

Randi

Reaction score
I've used Meguires and Never Dull. I prefer the Never Dull:) I think I will try the Power ball this month when I give my Tahoe a major cleaning!

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there more then one powerball? I dont have to wax maching to put the powerballl on... so i guess imma have to get the old hands knees and elbows involved...

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a drill, nor a buffer... so I guess im stuck.... What can i apply the chrome polish with since I dont have a power tool?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had true chrome rims for years but when I did I'd spray them with WD-40 then buff them to a shine. They'd shine up plus get a layer of protection from the WD-40. I had them for years and they never had a rust spot.

EasyRyder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the never dull.

stuff works good.

agreed with what another member said, the spray on stuff is not going to work as good as something you have to rub in.

put some elbow grease into it and make those babies shine!

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to put some time in on em maybe this weekend... im tryin to get as much twinkle as i can.

Mo Seawell

Reaction score
I haven't had true chrome rims for years but when I did I'd spray them with WD-40 then buff them to a shine. They'd shine up plus get a layer of protection from the WD-40. I had them for years and they never had a rust spot.

Really? WD-40? You got some pics?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used windex on chrome for years, mother's all wheel cleaner and some tire dressing is all I have to use to get the denali wheels looking decent.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? WD-40? You got some pics?

Sorry man, it was an '85 Camaro and I sold it 7 or 8 years ago. The rims were a modular, chrome ring with a black center and chrome center cap. I had the car from '86 until 2000 or 2001. I took the rims off in the winter so they didn't see road salt but seriously, after that many years of summer wear and washing they had no rust on them when I sold the car. The lug nuts did because they were seeing an impact wrench twice a year and after a while they were hard to buff up but the rims looked great.
FWIW.