need help with steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean97LT

Reaction score
I've recently replaced my speed sensor on the column and solved that issue, and just replaced a sloppy upper left ball joint, and I think my front end is pretty tight, but.....sometimes when turning left it feels like the power steering is over compensating, it's not like a flat spot or like the quick fall off to the right when the speed sensor goes out, it's more like it gets more encouraged to go left at certain times and only does it for a brief moment. It doesn't always do it, just every now and then. My initial thought is the sector. Any help would be appreciated!

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you clock your sensor? I posted recently about aligning the U shaped bump on one side to the wires on the backside (worked for me)... but here's some more info and corrections:

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7186&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This guy really looked into it... I would suggest you try clocking your sensor. It made a noticeable difference for me when I changed my sensor.

Good luck... and please let us know if it's fixed

clean97LT

Reaction score
JP422,
Thanks for the suggestion, problem solved! I lined up the sensor just as as recommended in the thread and now it's perfect. A local shop I called suggested my steering gear box was worn out, which I found hard to believe since the truck only has 56K miles on it. After I replaced a ball joint I had it lined up and they had to correct the steering wheel to get it positioned straight, this must have caused the placement of the sensor to be off since it wasn't a problem before I had it aligned. I bet many a 97-98 Chevy truck owner has paid for repairs they didn't need all because of this very issue.