Need ****in' help! BAD!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO... Want to smog my truck. Had installed, a Jet MAF sensor and Jet throttle body spacer. Neither are CA smog legal. So took off the spacer and went to Autozone to get an OEM MAF to drop in just for smog.
Started truck,
It immediately revved up to 3,000 rpm and then died.
Or, it revs up to 3,000 drops down to about 600-ish, back up to 3,000 and cycles like that until I kill it.
It produced two DTC's for the MAP sensor. Replaced that.
Now... No DTC's another OEM MAF sensor installed and it is still loping like before but now OBD codes to point me in a direction.
Please, PLEASE help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
My Tahoe is currently resting in the Autozone parking lot.

drumrpunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hello there fellow San Diegan, San Diegite, I'm Ron Burgundy??? Hahaha ANYWAYS, to start make sure you definitely disconnect your battery for a little bit to reset the PCM. Then hook it up and try to start it. If it starts, let it idle for a couple of minutes before doing anything. Chances are your computer has gotten use to the way your after market items have been running it. By doing the above step, your essentially making it re-learn it's parameters (which would be stock since you hooked up the stock items). Stay classy San Diego....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who gives a rats ass about the smog laws, do you know how many vehicle laws I break daily. LOL Even if you have to get it inspected, go to a guy you know, he will make sure its running ok and most likly pass you. Thats what I do.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drumrpunk,
Already attempted that. It doesn't idle. As soon as I turn the key it revs up to 3 grand. Like if you turned your ignition to start with your foot on the gas. Then dies, sputtering and growling.

Rollin Thunder,
Yes, because we all know a guy. Even if I did, my current problem is that it does not run. Which is why I left it in the Autozone parking lot, not because I like the parking spot 4 miles from my place.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Resetting the PCM should work. I hope you don't put the Jet MAF and TBS back on unless you have an OBS. These things cause more problems than they are worth with the 99+ engines.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have a vacume leak after the maf check the tbody.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try resetting the PCM, again. And I'll inspect, do a listen, for any vacuum leaks more thoroughly.

Could anything electrical cause this to happen?

JennaBear,
It's a '98 and if I get my truck working I am putting them back on. I was getting around 22 miles to the gallon with them.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the big Q is if you put the aftermarket parts back on it will it run normal or does it run at 3000 either way now?

i'd put the old parts back on and atleast get it out of the parking lot if it'll run normal.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHERE DO I GET THESE!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
lol

I got the Jet Throttle body spacer from Summit.com and the Jet MAF sensor from Autozone. Those plus the Hypertech tuner got me, if my math is correct, about 22 miles a gallon. Ran me about 750 dollars all together, I think. The sensor and tuner are high price items.
I went from SD to LA, drove around LA, then came back to SD and had a quarter tank left when I got home.

Update: Fixed the problem. I some how pinched a vacuum line under the throttle body(like a ****in' retard.) Created a huge leak. All good now though.
Next step smog, then back to the power parts.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad ya got her runnin again. :cool2: we all make those stupid mistakes. Like when I couldnt get power to my truck one day, Spent like 4 hours checking every little fuse and relay and electrical connection to find that I did not hook up the negative on the battery.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad ya got her runnin again. :cool2: we all make those stupid mistakes. Like when I couldnt get power to my truck one day, Spent like 4 hours checking every little fuse and relay and electrical connection to find that I did not hook up the negative on the battery.

:lol: