New Halo/projector Headlamps Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam_mav

Reaction score
Wow, Snomon those lights look really good, I can't wait to see pictures of them already installed and on. Snomon please, let me know where you bought your HID lights from and how much they were. Also, do you have your fog lights changed into HID as well??? That would look “bad a...” all together. That’s my future plans.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Snomon those lights look really good, I can't wait to see pictures of them already installed and on. Snomon please, let me know where you bought your HID lights from and how much they were. Also, do you have your fog lights changed into HID as well??? .

See my post! I have not converted my fogs until someone assures me that 880s (or H3's like you say) in the factory housings and be able to stay on longer than 5 minutes!

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on the Halo's. I want to do this to my Yukon. I went to the site and it looks good. I almost went for AAC and I am glad I was going through some older posts to find this

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the updated pics with Umnitza's work. I will be taking more pics tommorrow because I couldn't get the shutter speed where it should be in the bottom pic:

UmnOnRight.jpg

UmnLeft.jpg

UmnOn.jpg

Here's the look in the daytime. Note the rings are housed in a corrugated sleeve that enhances the halo effect. I also replaced both the DRL's and the blinker to the chrome bulbs to get rid of the "fried egg" effect:

UmnOffLeft.jpg

Overall the finished effect of the halo's over AAC is much brighter due to the ring housing. Here's a picture of the AAC. Sorry the lamp was dirty when I took the pic, but you can see the difference between the thin (AAC) and thick corrugated look (Umnitza).

------------------------------------
Even though the halos look pretty cool at night, this story doesn't end on a happy note with Umnitza.

See this pic below to the right of the reflector:

BadGlue.jpg

The installer cut the lamp at a bad spot and caulked it in a way that it is in the exposed view. The other side is similar. I complained to Matt that this work is "worse than AAC" and is unacceptable and embarrassing for me to show you guys on the forums.

See AAC's work below. They cut the lamps in a different location so as to not have any cutting and reseal work to be seen from the outside. Also note their thin ring sits on the rim of the low beam lamps in comparison to Umn's ring being inside the diameter. At nighttime, the rings on the rims show up nicely from the side view.

34.jpg

Gee after all this expense, what is the moral of this story?

1) AAC has my passenger side lamp for a free redo because BOTH rings won't come on. It was one at first and I switched ballasts to verify it was the ring and not the ballast and about a week later the 2nd ring went out.

I haven't received that lamp back yet. I'm still not a fan of their customer service. AAC's email box for Justin the owner ([email protected]) remains full and the only one that works for him is "[email protected]". Go figure that one.

2) Umnitza only offered "free labor" and discounted rings if I send them another set for them to tackle. Unfortunately for me the lamps you see above is a lesson learned for them. They say if they cut the lamp in "the same place as AAC" it won't seal properly and condensation will result. In the 2 weeks I had the AAC lamps, they didn't have any condensation, and it has been pretty wet and rainy up here in the Northwest.

I haven't decided on eating a new set of lamps to send back to Umnitza for round two, but I probably will because the exposed caulking job is horrible to see in the daytime because that is all I see because I know it's there!

----------------------------
** Sigh ** I hope you guys learn well from my money dumping experience. I do like Umnitza's rings over AAC's for the enhanced and thicker ring effect. I also think better ballasts are in the Umnitza kit. The funny thing I have learned is that the car has to be running for either AAC or Umn rings to start up fully. Battery power alone wasn't enough to start the rings up to full brightness.

I know of one more vendor who does halo installation and that is Jazejeff who installs rings like AAC's. He quoted $450 installed on another forum if you send him your (or extra set of) lamps.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems that there is no easy way to do this project!! They look good, and I would probably never notice the bad caulking, but like you when i know there is something wrong with my car I always stare at the one part because I know it's there. Good Luck :Chevy:

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's any consolation, Snomon, the halos look SUPERB!!! Sorry for the caulking mess. That would totally irritate me too! But for the most part, the halos/HIDs look very very nice!!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. @ least we know what we're getting into if deciding to go w/ this mod (what/what not to do)... You DA-MAN!!! :thumbsup:

rgncjn

Reaction score
Halo's a diy project??

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if installing these Halo rings can be a do it yourself project or does it require any special applications?
i.e. how are they attaching the rings to the light housing?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if installing these Halo rings can be a do it yourself project or does it require any special applications?
i.e. how are they attaching the rings to the light housing?

DIY if you know your way around a stove, scary IMO, but they sure do look good

rgncjn

Reaction score
The stove part doesn't bother me. I just trying to find out how these rings are attached to the light base. I didn't know if it is a clip that comes with the lights are if they are glued or epoxied to the base just wondering if any of you guys new. Anyone know of any right ups on them??

agent 409

Reaction score
i'm curious how long these HALO's will last before they go out..i would hate to have to bake the light up again and have to change them out or send out the lights again..

how reliable are these things??

i read this on another forum about halo's..

"First of all, the igniters that handle powering the halo rings are HIGHLY SENSATIVE to voltage. If you wire them up backwards and supply power to them just one time, they are hosed. Secondly, if you wire them up to your headlight relay for power, the constant turning on/turning off will also destroy the igniter/ballast over time. Mine lasted a mere 7 or so months.

So I wired up a secondary switch to handle them after installing new ballasts. This way I could turn them on/off when I wanted. Well, make sure they are OFF before starting your car. There were times I would leave mine on and start the car (like at a car show) and after a few times, the rings would start to flicker and dim.

Again, I had to install new ballasts. "

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Got Some Of The Halo/projection Headlights Anybody Know How To Install These, They Have A Few Xtra Wires That Have To Be Connected To Some Existing Light Wires And Do I Have To Drop The Front Bumper Plastics?? To Install Them

bro please post pics of your tahoe!!! it looks dope as hell in that little pic you have in your signature. i wanna see more of that thing!!!