new to me 96 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
I was directed here to ask all my questions so here goes.first first off lol its a 96 tahoe lt package. First off I've got power locks that don't work. Second the windows only work from master switch. Third the indicator for which gear Im in is gone. That's all i can think of right now. Edit: radiator leaks from drivers side area was told it was the pet cock i believe is the plastic end cap on radiator. What's common and uncommon on my make and model? Not new to chevy but def new to tahoe world. Also the rear wiper/sprayer / hatch buttons none of them work

clkelley

Reaction score
I am thinking that the majority of your issues with the wipers, locks windows, etc could be due to having issues under the dash, Obviously check all your fuses and relays, but also go under the dash and inspect all of the wiring harness that you can get to including all of the connector plugs (pigtails). As you know most of that stuff, while being separate, are interconnected through the harness and when you have an issue in one section it can mess with several other things. Make sure to also check your harness in the door jams and in the jam of the back door/hatch. It is quite possible that you have wiring that is pinched or broken causing things to ground when they shouldn't etc. I am almost positive that this is what is causing everything not to work in the back. I would start there with all of that.

As for the PRND indicator, the most common issue that I have seen causing this issue has to do with the NSBU switch at the tranny. When they go bad you will lose illumination on the dash gear selector.

For the radiator, yes, it is probably the petcock, but it should be pretty easy to check out, when you are hunting the source, watch for white residue left by the coolant leaking. Also double check your hoses, with the age of the vehicle they could be dry rotted and leaking in an odd place like around the clamp on the hose, etc.

Other common issues would mostly include the suspension and steering. Idler and pitman arms, ball joints, control arm bushings and hub bearings are the most common of them all. If you have to perform a lot of repairs to the steering linkage, etc make sure to double check the adjustment on the steering gear box to ensure that it is right as you may wind up with enough play there to hurt the gear box with all new parts everywhere else.

Other issues include but are not limited to intake manifold gasket failure, transmission slipping from 2-3 & 4-5 gears, ujoints, and on certain model transfer cases there is a risk of pump rub failure causing the need to replace or rebuild the transfer case.

I will probably think of something else later and I will add to this as I do. But it may be a bit, today's work load is kicking my butt...lol But I hope this helps a bit to get you started.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Wow lol that was a handful of words haha. Ill def check all the wires haven't found a bad fuse yet. Idk what all ties into the drivers door jam switch but that doesn't work either. Also the blower motor doesn't blow on the lo or first notch but on the second onward its on full blast.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Quick question. What all is tied into the radio harness? Some jack tard cut it out. Yay more work haha

clkelley

Reaction score
Oh man, right off the top of my head IDK, but that could very well be part of your problem in the dash for sure.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Lol super. To rewire that won't be hard. Finding the harness with factory cd player. That's the real joy

clkelley

Reaction score
I have had to rewire harness connectors before and always got them through my dealer account, if you can't find one in a junk yard or something I would go to your local dealer with your VIN and tell them the connector you need, I bet they can get a brand new one for you. They probably have some new pins on hand and can give you a wiring diagram all at once.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Right on. Next question lol. Why does my serp belt squeal from time to time? Possible that coolant getting on it? I wouldn't say its blowing out massively just yet but it is damp with coolant on the frame on front drivers frame.

clkelley

Reaction score
Are you positive it is coolant? if it is coating the frame, can you look into the fender area and see it on the outside of the frame?

As for the squeal, do you know how long it has been since the coolant was changed? An intermittent squeak can mean either an old belt, loose or wearing tension pulley, wearing water pump, among other things. Best thing to do is when you hear it, try to find or have a stethoscope probe handy and while the engine is idling touch the probe to the mounting bolts of the individual pulleys on the engine. BE CAREFUL. You should be able to hear the squeak when you have it on the source.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Out of all the tools I've got trays the one I've yet to get lol. Yea its coolant/50/50 mix/ water. Its spilling out the drivers side towards the engine and as i drive it gets blown back towards the engine and fender/frame by the fender well

clkelley

Reaction score
In that case go under the truck and look at the bottom of the water pump itself and look for residue. You should be able to see plenty. I am betting that the water pump has bit the dust and that may also be your squeak.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
So i bit the bullet. It was a broken pet cock/ cracked plastic side on the rad. Bought new and replaced. Still squealing like a two bit snitch tho. Also could part of my lock problems be that the door switch is broken? Tune in to see what it could be haha. Bout 400 in new parts today so ill be posting as i go. Also found a few missing parts and gotta figure out why when i hit the brakes it jerks my wheel to the right.

clkelley

Reaction score
I am not real sure if the locks and windows are connected in that way.

As for the brakes pulling like that, I bet the driver side caliper is locked up and not engaging the brakes at all so when you hit the brakes the passenger side hits the braking hard and pulls you over that way.

I can't wait to hear what you actually find causing all the electrical gremlins.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Yea me too. There's a few running amuck but one by one ill start fixing the lil rascals lol.probably just a goofy grounding issue or something. As i go through my hanes book (not a plug lol) ill go through the wiring diagrams and trace it all to make sure all is good. I did notice a freakin sweet feature on my tahoe tho. Its got a retractable light in the engine bay!!! How sweet is that?!

clkelley

Reaction score
That is pretty slick, I have never had one like that, shoot, I am lucky if mine even have a light under the hood, I wind up removing the hood so much that I wind up breaking the light...lol

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my 96 sierra had the light, and neither my 99 or my 06 had it, missed it, my 95 tahoe does have that little light and it is handy if you need it at night changing a tire or something.

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Ok wth lol. Wipers don't work when it rains and now the door locks work. I replaced the door switch could it have been that easy?! Im bettin its a relay issue. It sat for the most part of the day today. Also thinking alt is going bad bc it squeals then i shut the lights off and it stops.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the wipers, check the metal ground strap on the wiper motor, I have had 1 broken, and 1 that was just loose, the strap just goes under the bolt head and wraps around to the back side of the rubber mount.......

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Starting to miss my ford! Changed plugs and wires now the sob won't start. I moved the cap a lil and haven't been able to start it since?! Advice asap is greatly appreciated.