new to me 96 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My memory on this isn't so good but here goes: I have owned my 1996 Tahoe since new. In the late 90's or so, there was a "recall" or service bulletin that called for the replacement of a wiper controlling computer board or chip. I think there are some free services that will allow you to put in your VIN and find all the service bulletins for the car. My wipers failed and this was the solution. They have been working fine ever since.

BTW, the under hood retractable light is terrific ... used mine just 2 nights ago ... feeding fuel in to the TBI (see my other posts).

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Yea its got fuel getting to it bc when it does start it runs rough. Any help? Seems to change the more i change the distributor cap twist.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your plug wire sequence.

Wiper delay module issues were usually bad solder connections on the board from the jack to the board. Usually hitting them quick with some solder will fix the wipers if you can wiggle the plug with them on and have on/off operation.......

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Sequence is fine. Would a gap of 55 compared to the spec 60-65 really be that much of an issue? Would explain the slight spark knock but would it run differently? Idk is almost 11 pm here in Indiana and I've got on more plug to go through. If this doesn't fix the issue it'll go in file x lol

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think that small of a gap difference would matter too much, the older ones the gap was 35 thou....... What color is the spark BTW?

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Also found out the dist tab was five turns loose! Tightened it up rock solid. Now onto the real fun. I had power locks. They've since gone out once again. The two silver cannisters aka circuit breakers 30 A one has one location of power the other doesn't. There's several fuses with no hot leads and one 7.5amp mini fuse blown. Thoughts? I'm clueless on Chevy things like this. Also the temp gauge on rear view mirror doesn't work either. Next stop. Painless wiring harness haha jk

clkelley

Reaction score
I found the harness connectors you need, but without being able to look up the VIN I can't guarantee which one is the exact one you need. But to get things a little narrowed down the part numbers are listed below. The only thing is, in the computer they have the same description and some of the trucks had cassettes and some had cd players there and I am not sure which of the two to use with the cassette player. But I think this narrows things down a bit.

Gm Part # 15766022 Audio Player "Radio to CD" Harness
GM Part # 15076212 Audio Player "Radio to CD" Harness

There is another possibility, but I am not sure if it is for cassette, etc.
GM Part # 15076211 Audio player wiring harness

partin_us_99

Reaction score
I really like this forum. Lot of extra effort from everyone and it's beyond greatly appreciated. Chris. Never seen that site before. Very cool! Getting my vin now to do some parts research and purchasing. Also anyone know where to put nifty ideas? I came acrossed a lock that had a missing rod clip so I used the plastic from a blue electrical eyelet connector and I honestly think its working better than the factory clips.

clkelley

Reaction score
For new tips and tricks, go to the forum section for your year model and post a new thread about what you found, I am sure it will help somebody out there in the future.