New to the Tahoe scene

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davco

Reaction score
I'm possibly going to be coming into a 2003 Tahoe LS. Currently we drive a 2003 Mazda MPV but we are thinking about selling the van and taking my mom-in-laws tahoe for free. It currently has 115k on it. The interior has everything you can get and it is perfect for the kidos.....dvd stuff :).

I'm going to spend a while reading up on these vehicles (already read through some of the Hydrogen gas saving thread....300 mpg lol). But I need to know what are some problem areas to look out for on these beasts. Give me some insight fellas.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can swing it for free, I say do it for sure. Gas mileage leaves a little something to be desired, but none of us are driving these things hoping to get the gas mileage of a Prius. With that kind of mileage, you might be concerned about the transmission, but if she kept up with the service and didn't drive it hard, there's a good chance it could hold up for a while. Overall, I feel like they're really great cars. If you decide to pick it up, I think you'll enjoy it.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aforementioned trans issues will sometimes occur but the main issue is with front ends. I'd go through the front end now before you get some gnarly tire wear from tie rods, pitman arm (the greaseable arm off the steering box driver's frame), idler arm (greaseable bar on the other side of the centerlink), and unit bearings (the "hub" that the wheel bolts onto). All are common issues, easiest way to check is bring it in to an alignment shop or some other small shop you trust. You can also check yourself by having someone shake the wheel back and forth while you sit under the truck, pay close attention to the rod ends binding you may want to hold them and feel for any play in the joint. Play in the steering arms is easily seen with a good light, you can generally feel the play by grabbing the arm as well. To check the unit bearings and balljoints jack one side of the truck up slightly and place a prybar under the wheel. Apply upward force under the wheel and have someone check the balljoints that connect the spindle to the wheel as well as the unit bearing. Your wheel should not move, if it does the entire truck should be moving. Buy napa premium part if anything needs to be replaced, they're better than the oem garbage. Treat the truck well with good maintenance and it should have another 100k easy. Jesus that took longer than I thought lol.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point Boost. I actually had to replace my idler and pitman arms, as well as one hub. Probably should do my tie rod ends and bushings as well. These are some things you might want to consider Davco.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those are the two issues i am aware of, my front end is all jacked!!! I need to get working on it before it becomes a serious problem... however its nothing to overwhelming... the only other thing that is all to common is the gauge cluster going bad, but thats an easy fix.

I am also pretty new to owning a tahoe but I love it! These are great trucks that dont leave you wanting (unless MPG's are your thing) treat her good and she will be good back.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2000 last December. Everybody on another forum told me how prone these 4L60e tranny's are to early failure. The ride had around 92 or 93K miles on it. In April the tranny went out, needle bearing in the sun gear. If you don't know what kind of service the tranny has had at least do a pan drop and filter change. That wouldn't have shown me anything even had I done it before the break, but if something else is going on inside there it might give you a clue.

Davco

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

Front end: I know that they had the front end worked on about a year ago. There was some rattling or something that could be heard in when hitting bumps. According to my father-in-law, they replaced something with a part used on older model tahoes...don't know what it was.

Gauge Cluster: They just had it replaced (or something in it). The speedo stopped working so they got it fixed.

Tranny: It has never been serviced. We are going to get all the fluids changed before we take it so I think it will be ok. I guess?

I looked today and it has 120k on it...not 115k. It runs great and I don't know of any problems. One thing I've always noticed about the tahoe is that it vibrates when stopped at a red light. If you put it in neutral then it stops but while in drive it vibrates. My in-laws never really noticed.

I know it hasn't been driven hard b/c I know the people that have driven it since new.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front end: I know that they had the front end worked on about a year ago. There was some rattling or something that could be heard in when hitting bumps. According to my father-in-law, they replaced something with a part used on older model tahoes...don't know what it was.

Sounds like the ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft) - you can search around as it's a common problem.

Gauge Cluster: They just had it replaced (or something in it). The speedo stopped working so they got it fixed.

Another relatively common problem - GM extended the warranty on it.

Tranny: It has never been serviced. We are going to get all the fluids changed before we take it so I think it will be ok. I guess?

I looked today and it has 120k on it...not 115k. It runs great and I don't know of any problems. One thing I've always noticed about the tahoe is that it vibrates when stopped at a red light. If you put it in neutral then it stops but while in drive it vibrates. My in-laws never really noticed.

Yeah, if they're willing to let you wait to make the decision until the tranny has been serviced you can see if the vibration goes away. Vibrations that happen in Drive but not in Park/Neutral worry me - could be a tranny mount or something wearing out but I don't hear much about them failing in Tahoes...