New Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my new pcm and after the crank re-learn I took it down the interstate to try out the new power. Shifts smooth as butter but quick and clean at wot, powerband is flat as hell and it fvcking RIPS now! Standing on it around a corner the tires fight to keep traction; idles smoother and pulls much, much harder all the way to 6000. Best $200 I ever spent, thanks again justin and jenna :D

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear tune is the way to go. I've been very happy with mine since I got it. One of these days I'll get around to having my TBSS done.

TJHUB

Reaction score
I sent Justin an email the other day and he got back to me pretty fast. When I sent the email to Justin, I was in the process of bidding on a Jet Performance (stage 1) module thinking: "if I can this Jet cheap enough..." I have an '04 Yukon XL 5.3L (4x4) with 70K on the clock.

The Jet module was used and I got it for $39.00 shipped. I guess that's cheap enough. I need to do some small maintenance on truck and I'm going to Sea Foam it this weekend. I figure I can try the Jet out and always switch to Black Bear if things don't work out ok.

BTW: The only reason I really even started looking at a tune was because I just started towing this monster:

DSC02898Medium.jpg

It's good to know you're happy with the custom tune. I've been lurking around here for a week or so and I was waiting for you to post your thoughts.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't install that jet chip, I've had a few issues with them on chevys and I doubt you'll notice the difference. Drop the $200 on a tune and don't look back IMO.

TJHUB

Reaction score
I wouldn't install that jet chip, I've had a few issues with them on chevys and I doubt you'll notice the difference. Drop the $200 on a tune and don't look back IMO.

You don't even think it's worth a try? Can I ask what issues you've seen?

I really don't care about the $200.00; it's not that much (cudos to Black Bear for fair pricing).

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't even think it's worth a try? Can I ask what issues you've seen?

I really don't care about the $200.00; it's not that much (cudos to Black Bear for fair pricing).
Customer had to buy a new pcm because it backfed voltage and toasted the computer. Jet chip isn't as effective as even a superchips flashpaq or any other handheld, all of them fall quite short in comparison to a good custom tune.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When should u get a custom tune? And what is a crank re-learn... thats a tuning thing or something you had to do to compensate for the tune? I know having the 4.8 isnt a beast of a motor but I'd like to get some more power out of it if possible..

Do you need to list all your mods and they adjust to that?

TJHUB

Reaction score
Customer had to buy a new pcm because it backfed voltage and toasted the computer. Jet chip isn't as effective as even a superchips flashpaq or any other handheld, all of them fall quite short in comparison to a good custom tune.

Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciated it. I guess I'll contact Justin and get the ball rolling.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When should u get a custom tune? And what is a crank re-learn... thats a tuning thing or something you had to do to compensate for the tune? I know having the 4.8 isnt a beast of a motor but I'd like to get some more power out of it if possible..

Do you need to list all your mods and they adjust to that?

Contact justin or jenna for more info on the tuning, it is fairly easy to do and the 4.8 would benefit vastly from custom tuning.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that with more power you will tend to keep your foot in it more. But has anyone noticed a MPG increase?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just installed my new pcm and after the crank re-learn I took it down the interstate to try out the new power. Shifts smooth as butter but quick and clean at wot, powerband is flat as hell and it fvcking RIPS now! Standing on it around a corner the tires fight to keep traction; idles smoother and pulls much, much harder all the way to 6000. Best $200 I ever spent, thanks again justin and jenna :D
Glad you are happy!! Always good to hear when customers find the love for their vehicle again after putting a match under its butt!! :lol:
I know that with more power you will tend to keep your foot in it more. But has anyone noticed a MPG increase?

I am getting around 19MPG city currently, this is with a few other mods. I think I was right around 13-14 stock and 16MPG city after the tune.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next up are the efans, you'll get 2mpg easy from some good electric fans. My truck feels better than it did at sea level, now it just needs a procharger to get over this damn altitude. My truck also seems to be getting better mileage ever though I'm rodding the hell out of it, I'll definitely update you guys as I continue to drive the truck but as of right now I can't get this smile off my face when it sings at 6000 :D

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have magnets in my fuel tank and a tornado on my intake, I will blow right by you and get phenomenal MPG!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Logged last night, fuel compensations are dead on and it runs great. Justin wants to do some minor adjustments for low throttle but I'm gonna wait until I get the electric fans installed. To anyone on the line about getting a tune DO IT! This is the best mod I have done to the truck in terms of performance and my baby is running top notch and fast as sh*t. The scan cable allows him to get the tune as dialed as you could at a dyno, dynamic tunes via efi live FTW!