Newbie buying tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krsm30

Reaction score
I found a 97" 2dr with 161k that i may pick up this week and would like some input on things to look out for.The guy wants $3500,but according to him he's not expecting it.Now i'm thinking $2800(too low?),the exterior is pretty clean but there is some rusting at rear bumper and seats will need some attention.The brakes and the drive belt were just done and the tires are good, i also noticed a constant whining sound as the engine ran.....is that normal? Ant info would be helpful.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whining noise is more than likely the fuel pump mine does the same thing for over a year now

krsm30

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies,keep um commin.....would like to make a decision by week's end.Input from you guyz is a major factor.Thanks again

Sport99

Reaction score
I say don't worry about the miles, these trucks have been proven to run for many more so long as they are taken care of. I'd say start in by offering $2,000 or $2,500. Don't be afraid to start low, you never know what might happen. If you really like the truck move up to your $2,800 if the owner doesn't budge.

An excellent bargaining point for these trucks is the Intake manifold gasket. Ask if its ever been done. Check to make sure the coolant is at the proper level. At 161,000 miles if the intake hasn't been done it will need it soon.

I purchased my 99 Sport recently for $2,000. It has just over 150,000 on the clock. The intake manifold gasket was leaking and it was very noticeable.. I explained to the previous owner how expensive the job can be if I take it to the "dealer".... We came to an agreed price shortly after that, and I'll be doing the intake myself this weekend!