Newbie with 4wd issue.. Pleaase HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99tahoeeee

Reaction score
Hello i have a 1999 chevrolet tahoe i am new to this site and have a issue with my 4wd. Okay so when i first bought it i did NOT notice that the 4wd wasnt working. So this last winter i had popped it in 4hi to get out of my driveway. When i did i noticed the 4x4 wasnt working because i got stuck. I had my neighbor watch and only the rear wheel was spinning i double checked and i was in 4hi. So when summer came i went outside and Started my tahoe up and put it in drive and let it coast forward and pushed 4hi the 2 wheel drive light blinked about 2-4 times then the 4hi light come on. At that point i put it in park and left the engine idling. I grabbed the jack and jacked the front wheels up. Both wheels spinned freely. At this point i thought the front wheels werent engaging but after further looking i got under neath and spun one wheel and the front driveshaft was turning. So i then put the tahoe back on the ground got in and moved forward about 10 feet left it in drive and set the parking brake then jacked the front end up once again. with the vehicle in drive and in 4hi the front wheels still spun freely so basically when i spun the front wheels by hand the drive shaft was turning with the wheels and the vehicle in drive. At this point i am thinking it could be something inside the transfercase that is causing this problem. Is there anyone who can guide me in the right direction as to if im right. Im tempted to get a new transfer case but i cant pay 400 at this point any advice will help thanks,,....