Normal Running Temperature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the normal temperature when warmed up on a regular 5.3 is. mine is around 185? its that a little high, i had a friend one day said that was a little high. also if it is what can i do to lower temps?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is 210, always been that way from 30 miles to 30 thousand , 210 is where it stops and never gets higher, wheather at 45 cruzin with just me or 65 towing up grades.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never hit over 210 in my obs tahoe until that retarded coolant fitting in the intake manifold crapped out on me. I've driven the hell out of some chevy trucks and I've never gone over 210 unless I had a coolant leak or another issue. Electric fans will help cool it off more, plus add some good power and mileage, but I wouldn't worry about overheating a chevy truck :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never hit over 210 in my obs tahoe until that retarded coolant fitting in the intake manifold crapped out on me. I've driven the hell out of some chevy trucks and I've never gone over 210 unless I had a coolant leak or another issue. Electric fans will help cool it off more, plus add some good power and mileage, but I wouldn't worry about overheating a chevy truck :thumbsup:

i never do eather, i have the towing packedge so i get the extra cooling packedge, but all our gm (06-up) cars heat up to 210 and stay there. i just presume 210 is the normal temp.

our 98 cadi heats up to 220 and stays there, always has good power at hand so i guess its ok.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Mine has always ran about 190* no matter what I am doing. Even while towing the boat, it never gets above 200*. Like Boost mentioned, adding twin electric cooling fans will help some (if yours didn't come stock with elec fans), and a lower temp 'stat.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has always ran about 190* no matter what I am doing. Even while towing the boat, it never gets above 200*. Like Boost mentioned, adding twin electric cooling fans will help some (if yours didn't come stock with elec fans), and a lower temp 'stat.

Mine is usually right at 200 all the time. Now that it is a steady 10-20 degrees out side here its been a little cooler at around 190 degrees. This summer i towed our boat with my my moms 07 hoe, and it got to 240-250. I was worried but It never gave an over heating message or lost power or even hiccuped, but i thought it was odd. The transmission was also very hot at that point, but everything cooled back down when we got off the pass.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow so i guess im running a little cooler than alot of people then. hm that satisfys me haha. thanx guys

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my Yukon never hesitates to go all the way up to 210. It doesn't matter if I'm in stop-go traffic or if I'm on the freeway, it never changes once it hits that temp.

Davidinlv82

Reaction score
Electric fans

I'd be very careful about running electric fans unless you use an adjustable thermostat. I always thought my 95 ran pretty hot especially living in Las Vegas and having to deal with stop and go traffic and add in using the air conditioning during the summer with the clutch fan. There was times where my coolant was boiling over with that combo. I got 2 14" 2400 cfm fans and just wired it up to a power source and called it good but I soon found out and am still learning from this experience that during the winter it causes your engine to run too cold, like barely over 100* and therefore not giving you heat for the inside of the truck and kills your gas milage. I've even unplugged 1 fan and I'm still running cold. A reliable adjustable thermostat will run me around $100, if your ballsy and want to go cheap you can get a $30 unit from auto zone but will be replacing it every month cause the electronics are crap and burn out fast. Again learned that the hard way.