Oil in coolant, Head Gasket right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
Noticed I was low on oil on my 95. Put some in and a week later it's low again. I look over at the coolant tank and it's not neon green, but doo doo brown. Truck still runs good, Don't know if there's a cheap way out.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a head gasket. Check your oil and see what it looks like. If you are getting oil in your coolant you are probably getting coolant in your oil too. If you have a bad head gasket the only cheap way out is to change it yourself. How many miles do you have on your rig?

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
146,000. I got an estimate from a shop for $1000. I may need to do this myself, I'm broke right now.

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the same problem. Pull the intake, strip all the old gasket off, flush your motor and your radiator, change your oil and your coolant, apply new gasket and seal her up. Get alittle help and its a nice day project if you know what your doing. A dealership if you tell them will have it done in about 4 hours roughly.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not hard at all. if you are gunna do it, make sure you remove all the old gasket material from the heads and block. buy a repair manual, you'll need it.

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the same problem. Pull the intake, strip all the old gasket off, flush your motor and your radiator, change your oil and your coolant, apply new gasket and seal her up. Get alittle help and its a nice day project if you know what your doing. A dealership if you tell them will have it done in about 4 hours roughly.

He is doing a head gasket, not an intake gasket..

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is your head gasket REPLACE your intake gasket at the same time. or even better check that first since you have to take it off to get to the heads. this engine is VERY knowen for haveing an intake gasket problem. my went when i first bought it. THANKFULY all the coolant went out insted of into the engine.

there is a chance that it could be an intake gasket not the head gasket.

Bmanies

Reaction score
Could it be possible that it is the oil cooler inside of the radiator is causing it. I had the same problem, but with Tranny fluid in my coolant. The tranny cooler in side the radiator blew up causing the two to mix. I ended up putting an external tranny cooler on and a fluids flush and ultimately a new tranny.