Oil Pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe.. When I purchased the truck the guy before me stripped the drain plug.. So im unable to change the oil now since I bought the truck..

I have a two options:

re-thread the plug and put a larger plug in..

or

replace the oil pan?

Any other options?

I found this guy selling Moroso Oil Pans for a good price.. I believe that this is the one for my specific vehicle?

http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/moroso_/moroso_oil_pan/20186/i-296957.aspx

Part # 20186

c8fddeda-c552-4644-8858-984eee29ad2d-800.jpg

Is anyone else running an aftermarket oil pan like this? This is an OEM replacement..

What are the difference between this OEM replacement looking one and these crazy looking ones that they company is selling for the Honda/Acura applications:

d_1793.jpg

I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer regarding this..

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, Rockauto.com has one for $50.

Second, the price on the shiny one is $100 too much.

Third, the second pix looks to be a racing type pan, with pickup and drain plugs for the turbo lines, and probably has a splash type setup in the bottom to keep oil in the sump when cornering hard, IDK what that is called anymore, but you probably dont need to spend all that $ on either shiny pan.

If it were mine, I would look into an oversized plug or something......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAvBAJaBwQ

http://pedrn44.hubpages.com/hub/Oil-Pan-Plug-Easy-Repair

Last edited:

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Pan

First off, Rockauto.com has one for $50.

Second, the price on the shiny one is $100 too much.

Third, the second pix looks to be a racing type pan, with pickup and drain plugs for the turbo lines, and probably has a splash type setup in the bottom to keep oil in the sump when cornering hard, IDK what that is called anymore, but you probably dont need to spend all that $ on either shiny pan.

If it were mine, I would look into an oversized plug or something......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAvBAJaBwQ

http://pedrn44.hubpages.com/hub/Oil-Pan-Plug-Easy-Repair

WoW thank you so much for finding giving me that link.. That is A LOT cheaper then anywhere else locally I have contacted..

Do you happen to know the differences between each of the pans you linked me to:

All of the pans below are 4 Quart besides the last one in the list is a 5 Quart

$48.79 SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # GMP02A

$50.79 DORMAN Part # 264100

$58.99 ATP Part # 103033

$77.79 DORMAN Part # 264132

I already purchased the larger drain plug but then I was thinking that it would probably be better in the long run "reliability" etc that I look into replacing the actual pan?

What are other peoples thoughts on this? If I just put the larger plug in that would rethread the hole and then I would have no problems changing the oil etc in the future?

Last edited:

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Pan Response

:help:

What would this forum recommend that I go with? The cheapest one because they are all pretty much the same? The person response regarding the one larger one that there site has listed for my vehicle is really vague..

So im thinking to go with the cheapest priced pan go with this magnetic drain plug for $3.07

getimage.php

Then I would need to purchase the gasket separate..

==================
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Aside from the 4 or 5 quart difference that you noted, these pans are all basically the same thing, just made by different brands and priced differently as a result. They quality will be comparable, and which you choose is a matter of preference (though you will need to know if you need the 4 or 5 quart). They will not come with drain plugs or gaskets unless specifically noted in the description. A couple of those parts list that they will come with drain plugs where the vehicle application requires it as some applications need the drain plug replaced when the pan is replaced and some can reuse the original. Since it sounds like your drain plug is removable (if it weren't stripped, that is) I would guess that your vehicle does not fall under the category where the drain plug would be included.

Gaskets and plugs can be purchased separately on our catalog, and the plug that you included the photo of should work just fine with any of these pans.

Thank you,

Jen
RockAuto Customer Service

phone: (608) 661-1376
fax: (608) 819-6350
toll-free: 1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)
RockAuto FAQ
http://www.rockauto.com

[email protected] wrote:

I have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe.. The previous owner stripped the oil drain plug. So I'm unable to change my oil.. I was thinking about either purchasing a larger drain plug and re threading it or purchasing a brand new oil pan and an aftermarket drain plug..

What are the differences between each of the pans:

All of the pans below are 4 Quart besides the last one in the list is a 5 Quart

$48.79 SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # GMP02A

$50.79 DORMAN Part # 264100

$58.99 ATP Part # 103033

$77.79 DORMAN Part # 264132

I'm also looking at this oil drain plug you have listed on your company site: Would this plug fit the pans listed above?

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...tp://www.rockauto.com/info/RB/092-007-001.jpg

Do the pans come with new gaskets or are they sold separately?

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Pan And Drain Plug

1998 CHEVROLET TAHOE 5.7L V8

Engine : Oil Pan
DORMAN Part # 264100 {#10110837, 12524690, 12528916, 12557558} 4 Quart
Includes New Drain Plug and Seal (where required); 4 Quart Pan
$50.79 1 $50.79

Engine : Oil Drain Plug
DORMAN Part # 092005 Standard; Thread Size; M12-1.75
EZ DRAIN: M12-1.75 Thd
$6.25 1 $6.25

Subtotal $57.04

Shipping: Ground (1 to 2 business days) Get Shipping Options
Shipping $8.48

Please allow one business day for our warehouse to process your order, plus transit time for selected shipping method, plus any delay shown above for non-stock items or outlying warehouses, before expecting your order to arrive. For example, an order placed Wednesday, with no non-stock items or outlying warehouses, should ship on Thursday. With "2 Business Day Express" shipping, it should arrive Monday (Monday is the second business day after Thursday).

Total $65.52

What does everyone think? I know that the pan comes with an OEM replacement plug but I figured for the small price of the upgrade that I would upgrade to the nicer magnetic plug..

I think I will order this package tomorrow morning?

Thanks lesterl for the information.. :happy160:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, the oil pan will have to be replaced with the engine pulled or at least lifted up out of the vehicle a ways.... ///FYI

Good Luck anyway.