Omg Please Not This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was comming home from the beach yesterday and my transmission started slipping very bad. I dont understand my jimmy had over 230,000 miles with no problems but my Tahoe only has 129,000 miles and all ready needs a transmission. I just hope my extended warrenty is still good.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't understand it either, my brothers blazer had 120,00 and went out, and my 97 kon has 214,000 and still going..

- while your replacing it do your research on the Transgo HD kits, and the S/K kits.. and the corvette servo, and the billet servo

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
careful with those kits tho some only make ur tranny shift harder ask around before you jump into a purchase. if anything get better bands and clutches for more holding power not so much harder shifting. but ya my tranny went out at 200k do u tow or haul with it alot also looking to a tranny cooler a bigger one heat is what kills out tranny if u tow alot with no or a little cooler it will kill ur tranny...

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no I dont tow alot but check this out I was just under the truck and I had my wife rev the motor up because i was hearing a wierd sound. My catalintic convertor is making a weird noise like it is busted in the inside. could thisbe the problem with the loss of power and the rpms spiking while driving or am I just trying to avoid the subject of a new tranny.

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm idk when my cat did that i just got a lot of blow by i.e alot of blue/black smoke out the tail pipe.... it mite be ur tranny hate to say it there about 700 for a used one and alot more to get it rebuilt, call a local tranny shop have them check it out tell u whats wrong.... check the dip stick see what the fluid looks like to.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fluid looks great i even added some lucas to it last night.. i had to clear the truck out really good friday night i bet i damaged the convertor when i did this...

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, how hard do you drive your truck? Honestly, these 4L60E's in these huge trucks don't last super long if you beat on them. A friend of mine has a '97 Yukon Z71 and he is on his THIRD transmission. He does beat on it, but still... this are utility vehicles made to take abuse. I'm not talking towing and offroading 24/7; I'm talking also mashing the pedal all the time and full throttle shifting. That stuff take a toll on the trans.

If your cat(s) is junk, that may have a lot do with it... you have a 1999 OBD2 truck: these are very computer dependant. All the sensors in these trucks create a computer loop system, and if you are getting bad readings and one or more of the sensors are kicking out or getting errors, it makes the computer unable to manage the vehicle at 100% capacity. You'd be suprised how much of a performance drain just losing one sensor can cause. Have you seen an engine light come on at all? I would scan the computer and see if it had any codes come up recently, maybe one of your O2 sensors after the catalytic converter is kicking out and reporting an error back to the computer.

If it IS the trans, then yeah... a rebuild or replacement is in order. GMDYukalade gave you some good advice: if you do end up dumping in a new trans or revamping your current one, do the right thing and treat it with some good hardware. Factory tranmissions in these later model vehicles were designed with smooth driveability in mind, so they have a lot of delay and overlap in the shifting. While this DOES make them shift smoother, it destroys their longevity as a side effect. Getting 1-2 and 3-4 servers and such, and installing a nice automatic valve-body shift kit would not only make your trans perform infinitely better, but it will also really help extend the life of the hardware. Also, get a bigger transmission pan to hold more fluid. This will help keep it cooler.

Transmission kits and servos are really nice because they are still fairly driveable, though they do make the transmission shift a lot harder and faster. I don't have a kit installed on my transmission personally, but I understand from reading some testimonials and such that they provide a fairly mild ride when keep the throttle more relaxed... but if you mash it, the servos and shift kit will really give you a ride. You'll be chirping tires and flying through gears while you get jerked back and forth in your seat.

I certainly hope it's not your trans though; I had a tranmission scare a few months ago, but it turned out it was an O2 sensor problem mixed with an EGR valve problem. The truck would hesitate when going from a stop, it would surge and have an uneven idle, and the rpm's would just die when I was at part throttle. right around 2000-3000 rpm's it was like the gas pedal did nothing at all unless I really put it to the floor. I ended up replacing the O2 sensor and the EGR valve (like $130 all together if I remember correctly) and it ran like a dream afterwards. Like I said, check your sensors before you start pulling your hair out.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, how hard do you drive your truck? Honestly, these 4L60E's in these huge trucks don't last super long if you beat on them. A friend of mine has a '97 Yukon Z71 and he is on his THIRD transmission. He does beat on it, but still... this are utility vehicles made to take abuse. I'm not talking towing and offroading 24/7; I'm talking also mashing the pedal all the time and full throttle shifting. That stuff take a toll on the trans.

THAT makes sense I do shower down on my truck from time to time but nothing that should cause the tranny to be burnt up this soon I will have to check on it this week and let you guys know what I find out

Last edited:

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had my mechanic check it out today its the cats even thu they arent cheap i glad it was not the tranny but hey i found out i have 1500 miles left on my warrenty

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats kinda good news good to hear after market hight flow cats are a good choice! and some exhaust if you don't already..

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it might be the cats and oxygen sensors killing your truck. A lot of people overlook the fact that the computer system has an enormous effect on the performance of the vehicle. I know I used to.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my cats at 126,000 so yeah they are probbaly due to be changed

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input the new system is going to run me about 500.00 bucks plus install but hey its cheaper than a transmission.. Anyone know what causes these things to go bad?

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Cant Believe This I Just Got The Truck Back After Speanding 560 Dollars On New Cats. This Guy Says It Is Your Tranny It Keeps Popping Into Neutral. Any Suggestions On What The Cause Is?