P0446 Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisW

Reaction score
2008 Tahoe LT, 5.3 Flex Fuel engine.

Purchased recently with 100k on it. I got a P0446 code and replaced the evap cannister vent solenoid/valve/hose assembly (the one up above the spare tire). The vent end of the hose was full of dirt, suspected that valve was probably the same way. Cleared the code, and have been waiting for a month for the evap. monitor to set. Yesterday I scanned the vehicle again to see if the monitor had finally set and saw a P0446 pending code.
From what research I've done the only two other options I see are replacing the purge valve or the whole evap. cannister, as I did read somewhere that if dirt was getting into the vent hose/valve it could have also clogged up the evap. cannister itself.

Anyone have a similar experience or thoughts on what my problem might be? So far I'm only into it for about 45 bucks for the vent solenoid and my time to change it but I hate to keep throwing parts and money at random at a problem.

DennisW

Reaction score
Wow, 74 people looked any not one thought or comment........

TxMadeTxPaid07

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I removed both parts and cleaned them as thoroughly as possible. I also removed as much of the rubber tubing as I could and blew compressed air through it. There was so much buildup that I decided just to replace the tubing. (Only About ten doll hairs). I also replaced the purge solenoid(on the intake manifold) and worked for me. When it comes to anything regarding your fuel or ignition I feel that just buying replacement parts is the best rout to go but that's my opinion. Money is money but in the end it's about your car staying strong and lasting as long as it is needed.