Paint fading on 07 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
I noticed today that the surface of the molding that runs on both sides of my 07 is starting to fade and cloud up. Anyone else having this issue with their Tahoe? I'm wondering if this may be something covered under warranty.

Matt.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is clouding up too especially along the top edge of the molding (dark blue metallic). I thought it might be from the local car wash. "Soft touch" or not, it's still making contact with a plastic part that might be more susceptible to damage than the painted sheet metal. The sun may oxidize it as well (mine is parked outside).

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
Thanks much for the responses. I have a black Tahoe and very similar to OSU's situation. It's parked outside almost all the time and I think the sun has most likely started to take a toll on the plastic trim. It's fading the vinyl running boards and mirrors a little bit too. I polished the Tahoe last night with Finish 2001 and hit the side moldings twice so hopefully that should help protect the paint a little bit better. I also ordered a black dye product that should help with the trim.

Cmonteiro1

Reaction score
I have this same issue. My truck is the Gold (its more like champagne) color. ARe there any good solutions out there?

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a bulletin out for the front facia and hood paint. I thought I heard there was, meaning that if you have taken care of your truck and still have the fading or chipping, bring it in under warranty and they might repaint them for you.

Anyone??

jazzlara

Reaction score
Well, I have a 2007 Silver Birch Metallic, 20K miles, with tiny RUST SPOTS on the doors and trunk!....The already cheap wheels are starting to look whitish under the clear coat (like the wheels of a 1983 truck) and the side molding issue you guys have, I have as well..oh ya, and those rust spots are under the molding as well.

Its garage kept and kept clean. WTF! Why did I get rid of the Nissan/Toyota?

Does anyone know if the factory warranty covers paint? My mom said her Ford Exploder had paint issues but the dealer said paint is only warrantied up to 12K miles. Gay...

Anyway, I called the dealer, explained the sitch, and he sounded as if he has heard of this before and would help....we'll see in a couple days.

So my question: ARE THESE PAINT PROBLEMS COVERED UNDER THE FACTORY WARRANTY? ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

Ickulus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no but I would call several dealers, some seem to be more helpful than others. If you find out, post it. Mine only has 4000 miles and hasn't seen a TEXAS summer in the oilfield yet (crossing my fingers). You guys are making me nervous!

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that the surface of the molding that runs on both sides of my 07 is starting to fade and cloud up. Anyone else having this issue with their Tahoe? I'm wondering if this may be something covered under warranty.

Matt.

Anyone have any new info on this? My side moldings are looking terrible. Sun-related or not, there's no way this level of fading should take place in 18 months. Won't polish out very well either. Haven't been to the dealer yet, looking for as much info as I can get first. Anyone with an update?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand/type of products are you folks using on your wheels and moldings? Some of the stuff out there (ie - Armorall) is terrible and does more harm than good.

/< / /2 /<

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a 2007 Silver Birch Metallic, 20K miles, with tiny RUST SPOTS on the doors and trunk!....The already cheap wheels are starting to look whitish under the clear coat (like the wheels of a 1983 truck) and the side molding issue you guys have, I have as well..oh ya, and those rust spots are under the molding as well.

Does anyone know if the factory warranty covers paint? My mom said her Ford Exploder had paint issues but the dealer said paint is only warrantied up to 12K miles. Gay...

Anyway, I called the dealer, explained the sitch, and he sounded as if he has heard of this before and would help....we'll see in a couple days.

So my question: ARE THESE PAINT PROBLEMS COVERED UNDER THE FACTORY WARRANTY? ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

I'm having pretty much the identical problem on my 2007 Silver Birch Metallic. Wheels effed up too. Not happy. Garage kept, but driven in snow.

A J

PaulC

Reaction score

That rust may be rail dust which consists of tiny iron particles that attach themselves to the paint during shipping of the vehicle. The particles are not initially noticeable at vehicle delivery as the iron has not yet oxidized. As time passes, the iron particles rust and turn orange/brown.

Check out this link to the Sherwin-Williams website. Look familiar? http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
Anyone have any new info on this? My side moldings are looking terrible. Sun-related or not, there's no way this level of fading should take place in 18 months. Won't polish out very well either. Haven't been to the dealer yet, looking for as much info as I can get first. Anyone with an update?

Busy summer, just now getting around to getting my truck in to have the remote door locks, and AC chirping fixed. I asked about the molding which is getting even worse than when I first posted awhile back and I was told over the phone that they may not be able to help me out because things like plastic moldings and trim that start to fade is just considered normal wear and tear, however if they were falling off or loose that would be a different story. They said they would take a look at it anyhow, and suggested if they can't do anything just to take it to Macco or a paint shop that could spray them pretty cheap. I'll probably hold off doing something like that for awhile and just live with it until it get's really bad. Dang cheap plastic parts, lol.

usmceric1

Reaction score
Do you guys wax your wheels after you clean them? I do. I figure that if they are clearcoated then why not? As for the little iron particles, a good compound buff should help there. I have to agree about the armour all on anything. I use Back to Black, I think Mothers makes it. I just clayed my Suburban the other day, followed by a polish, then a wax. Took me forever, the Suburbans are really big!!

For your paint fading problem, I thought GM fixed thier crappy paint jobs. I guess not. If they could just make a vehicle as good as thier powertrains then they would be all set.

07 LT

Reaction score
Those side moldings are a joke for a $40,000+ truck. Mine are kind of wavy when looking down the side of the truck. I would almost rather not have them like the LS models.:cuss:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those side moldings are a joke for a $40,000+ truck. Mine are kind of wavy when looking down the side of the truck. I would almost rather not have them like the LS models.:cuss:

Then take 'em off.