Paintless Dent Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it - pulled out too fast, cut too sharply and 'drug' the passenger side of my Yukon against the front bumper of my son's little Toyota truck. His truck is fine - the Yukon has two softball sized smooth indentations below the trim. I think it is a paintless dent removal kinda ding. I fear that a body shop would want to replace 2 doors - and the dents aren't that big.

Has anyone used these services? There's one called Collision On Wheels that will come to me - I'm waiting for them to call me back from an online inquiry, but I'm hoping someone has used one of these services before and can give a report.

Thanks in advance

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it - pulled out too fast, cut too sharply and 'drug' the passenger side of my Yukon against the front bumper of my son's little Toyota truck. His truck is fine - the Yukon has two softball sized smooth indentations below the trim. I think it is a paintless dent removal kinda ding. I fear that a body shop would want to replace 2 doors - and the dents aren't that big.

Has anyone used these services? There's one called Collision On Wheels that will come to me - I'm waiting for them to call me back from an online inquiry, but I'm hoping someone has used one of these services before and can give a report.

Thanks in advance

Hey -- I've never used those guys, but please post the results. I live in Prince William County, and work in Chantilly + Arlington, so I'd be interested to keep that info handy should I need it...

Watch it out there tonight -- pretty icy and slick! :eek2:

Thanks!

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used this method plenty of times.It works really good if the paint isnt damaged or if the metal isnt creased, it usually has to be a pushin or smooth type dent.The first company was DentX that I know of.It cost $125+ per panel.They charge per panel not per dent.I watched the guy do a black car I owned,I had a dent in the center of the Quarter panel,He used this yellow flouesent light and shined it next to the dent,then he used these special bent rods and pushed the dent carefully from behind, after that he used a plastic chisel looked like a crayon and tapped it lightly to fine tune it,after that he compounded and waxed it.He said if you cant see where the dent was with the light on it you will never see it.When he finally removed the light I coundnt find where the dent was,It took him about 30-40 mins to finish.I think its the way to go,the only thing is some guys are better than others, anytime I used them it came out great.Some body shops use them,my last two I used a guy that a body shop deals with its good because it saves the factory paint,Goodluck!

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 I have used this type of service twice and both of them worked great and removed a "crease dent" and also a straight "kick dent" on doors. Saved me tons of money...

Not saying it works for all as mentioned, like when the paint or clear coat is damaged but well worth it if the paint is in shape.

I have used this method plenty of times.It works really good if the paint isnt damaged or if the metal isnt creased, it usually has to be a pushin or smooth type dent.The first company was DentX that I know of.It cost $125+ per panel.They charge per panel not per dent.I watched the guy do a black car I owned,I had a dent in the center of the Quarter panel,He used this yellow flouesent light and shined it next to the dent,then he used these special bent rods and pushed the dent carefully from behind, after that he used a plastic chisel looked like a crayon and tapped it lightly to fine tune it,after that he compounded and waxed it.He said if you cant see where the dent was with the light on it you will never see it.When he finally removed the light I coundnt find where the dent was,It took him about 30-40 mins to finish.I think its the way to go,the only thing is some guys are better than others, anytime I used them it came out great.Some body shops use them,my last two I used a guy that a body shop deals with its good because it saves the factory paint,Goodluck!

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DC Dent Removal

Hey -- I've never used those guys, but please post the results. I live in Prince William County, and work in Chantilly + Arlington, so I'd be interested to keep that info handy should I need it...

Watch it out there tonight -- pretty icy and slick! :eek2:

Thanks!

Thanks all, for the feedback, and a special thanks to my 'neighbor' Getwired. I found the one shown below out in Tysons......

http://www.dingdepot.com/DINGDEPOT2005_files/page0010.htm

But the one I am leaning towards is this one:

http://collisiononwheels.com/index.htm?gclid=CIjm8sHvrJACFRuhFQod9Hac7w

Because they come to you and they also can touch up the paint and clearcoat. I have a call into them and am awaiting the return call. I work a couple of blocks from the Pentagon so I figure I'm central enough for them - I live 2 miles from Tysons Corner so it is close, too.

I'll let you know which one I choose and how it turns out. Gotta get those dents out somehow!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it turns out better than you expect. I work at an auto reconditioning center, so I see dents pushed all day long with varying results. Most of the guys that do our work have 7-10yrs experience easy and they can get them done pretty quickly. From what they have said, it takes about 5000 dents pushed to be good and 10,000 to be good and quick.

I'm with everyone else, post your results. I've had some dents pushed on my Yukon and knowing where they were, I can't find them.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oiy. Finally took it to a local mega dealer for Ford, GM, etc. - body shop has a DPR technician. They called me this afternoon and said that 'there was a crease they can't get out and to do it right the cost would be' $860!! Pull the moulding, 'pull out' the dents, paint, replace the moulding on both doors. 3 - 5 days work with paint drying time. Sheesh!! Sounds like it's time for lots of 'second opinions!' I'll keep everyone posted - either way, 'she' will be made good as new again!

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a body shop or call the 800 number that all the local guys have - dent wizard, etc. Most charge about $125 for the first and then lower to 75 or so for the next and so on. Had it done to a G35 Coupe and it was flawless.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do - thanks for the advice. The body shop manager said that the dents were too low on the door to 'get behind and push.' He said that to do it right they needed to do all the stuff I mentioned in the other post. I don't buy it.....I'm with you - I think a true PDR pro can 'git r done'.

I'll update...

nikko

Reaction score
i used Dent Masters in Tysons Corner on my 350Z. Someone dented my rear quarter panel (5 inches long 2 inches wide) with scratches. Came out looking good and as if it were never hit to begin with. They were able to buff out the scratches pretty well enough that you would have to get upclose to the car to see it.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nikko, and welcome! How much did DM set you back for that repair, like $125?

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here a couple methods I found on my old forum. The air duster works for sure, I tried it on my grandmothers front qtr panel on her impala. Had a lil buckle from where she hit some one. I had one on my truck from the previous owner, I tried it on my dent but it didn't work. My dent is a lil push in from when they pulled out, made a lil fold. But it seems like it pulled it out a lil bit.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_cheap/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remove_car_dent_with_airduster

Denali168

Reaction score
Here a couple methods I found on my old forum. The air duster works for sure, I tried it on my grandmothers front qtr panel on her impala. Had a lil buckle from where she hit some one. I had one on my truck from the previous owner, I tried it on my dent but it didn't work. My dent is a lil push in from when they pulled out, made a lil fold. But it seems like it pulled it out a lil bit.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_cheap/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remove_car_dent_with_airduster

Thanks for sharing. I have used PDR on my vehicles many times over the years. My Denali needs some TLC so I am going to let the professional work his magic tomorrow/

But on my Previa (aka my SAV, or Sweet Ass Van) I am going to try the dry ice and the blow dryer/CO2 trick! It is not worth it to pay someone to pull dings out of my van, but it would be neat to see if this actually works. I'll try it and give you a summary of the results.

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can testify for the dry ice, i worked in 2 different body shops and we did this little number all the time. doesn't work on everything, but saved us TONS of labor and getting dirty when we didn't need to. although we usually did the circular motion for a few minutes, then just duck taped the block to the dent and left it, came back every few minutes or so. works pretty good, we usually used it on larger, smoother dents, like where someone kicked a panel or a basketball landed on the hood or hit the door. stuff like that.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I have used PDR on my vehicles many times over the years. My Denali needs some TLC so I am going to let the professional work his magic tomorrow/

But on my Previa (aka my SAV, or Sweet Ass Van) I am going to try the dry ice and the blow dryer/CO2 trick! It is not worth it to pay someone to pull dings out of my van, but it would be neat to see if this actually works. I'll try it and give you a summary of the results.

Make sure you get a duster that doesn't have inhalent preventatives, Didn't know about it, wasn't that close to it but still left a nasty taste in my mouth for a couple hours. Everything I ate and drank tasted hella nasty. :mad2:

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All done - dent removal ended up not being possible. Later today I'm going to post some 'before and after' photos....
The damage was too low on the door so the paintless dent removal services wouldn't work on it. Plus the moulding buckled a bit so they ended up replacing it. Call me crazy, but I wrote a large check to have this taken care of - I can't drive a wrecked vehicle, no matter how small the dents! At any rate, it makes me smile again 'cause it is good as new!

Please visit this thread to 'close the book' on my dent experience:
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?p=33053#post33053

Thanks!

Last edited: