Part number for G80 locking rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsted2

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the part number for the G80 locking rear for an 07 Tahoe. I want to put one in and need to find out how bad the dealers price is. I got to find it cheaper.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was you, I'd get an aftermarket locker! I don't know how much GM wants for the G80, but I'm sure it is WAY more than a Detroit or similar locker!

Tell me, what do you really want the locker for? Is it for serious off road use? Or just winter driving type situations? Or something in between? I'm a huge offroader (my 2nd vehicle is an 87 K5, all set up for rockcrawling, etc), so maybe I can help you if you tell us what you really want out of a "locker" - they are NOT all the same thing, nor do they perform the same! I've not had much experience at all with the newer style G80s (they were said to have seriously revamped it), but the older GM "lockers" were called Gov-Locks, but were more commonly known as Gov-BOMBS, because they blew up inside the axle all the time! They sucked!

Depending on what you are looking for, there are lots of options besides the G80 from GM...everything from ARB air lockers (awesome, have one in teh front Dana 60 axle of my K5) to Detroit lockers (more crude, but bulletproof, have one in my rear 14bolt in the K5) to limited slips, etc...from about $400 on up to $1000 or so, just depends on what you are looking for. The 8.5" axle in our Hoes is not exactly a strength champion, so if you are going to be getting bigger tires, a locker will also stress the small 1/2 ton axle even more,just keep that in mind.

Anyways, I'll be happy to give you my input if you want it... :thumbsup:

I know if I ever move to a place where I have to drive in snow all winter, I'd have a Tahoe with ARB Air lockers front and rear, probably a 4-6" lift and 35s or so... my 87 K5 is a friggin tank, with 42s, lockers front and rear, winches, etc, but kind of lacking on creature comforts!! :)

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:iagree:

If I was you, I'd get an aftermarket locker! I don't know how much GM wants for the G80, but I'm sure it is WAY more than a Detroit or similar locker!

Tell me, what do you really want the locker for? Is it for serious off road use? Or just winter driving type situations? Or something in between? I'm a huge offroader (my 2nd vehicle is an 87 K5, all set up for rockcrawling, etc), so maybe I can help you if you tell us what you really want out of a "locker" - they are NOT all the same thing, nor do they perform the same! I've not had much experience at all with the newer style G80s (they were said to have seriously revamped it), but the older GM "lockers" were called Gov-Locks, but were more commonly known as Gov-BOMBS, because they blew up inside the axle all the time! They sucked!

Depending on what you are looking for, there are lots of options besides the G80 from GM...everything from ARB air lockers (awesome, have one in teh front Dana 60 axle of my K5) to Detroit lockers (more crude, but bulletproof, have one in my rear 14bolt in the K5) to limited slips, etc...from about $400 on up to $1000 or so, just depends on what you are looking for. The 8.5" axle in our Hoes is not exactly a strength champion, so if you are going to be getting bigger tires, a locker will also stress the small 1/2 ton axle even more,just keep that in mind.

Anyways, I'll be happy to give you my input if you want it... :thumbsup:

I know if I ever move to a place where I have to drive in snow all winter, I'd have a Tahoe with ARB Air lockers front and rear, probably a 4-6" lift and 35s or so... my 87 K5 is a friggin tank, with 42s, lockers front and rear, winches, etc, but kind of lacking on creature comforts!! :)

SCIV

Reaction score
These are called grenade-80's. Don't waste your time with it, especially if you are putting serious power or abuse to it. If you want a used one, go to performancetrucks.net & I bet you can find one cheap.