Pics of my '08 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to smoke the lights. I definitely dont want them very dark if I do. I'm not really into the totally shaven and "looks like the whole thing was dropped in a vat of black paint"-look. I may lightly smoke them.

The SS hitch cover is definitely the nicest of the bunch but it's not practical for me. I have something mounted in the receiver almost almost every weekend all year round. Either a trailer for MX bikes, bike carrier for downhill mountain bikes or snowboard carrier.

I had a cover on my Trailblazer and after a few weeks I never used it again because I didnt want to deal with it.

demonal

Reaction score
i would said tail lights n that flex fuel would be next...

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Tint the tails now for the complete murdered look.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to smoke the lights. I definitely dont want them very dark if I do. I'm not really into the totally shaven and "looks like the whole thing was dropped in a vat of black paint"-look. I may lightly smoke them.

Same fight I'm in, Here in LV, EVERYONE has their tails tinted dark and it's gotten cliche now. I was tossing around smoking them lightly but then again, I like the look of the red. I could see something like the denali tails where most the light is black in the back ground but the lights are still red. Whatever you choose, that is one clean burb. :thumbsup:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a little more pricey, but I'd go with these lights. I think the custom creations has the same light cheaper, but the website is poor, so I'm not going to try to find the link.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the IPCW lights. Those are actually what Im debating between. Either that or light smoke tint over the stock ones.

I havent seen those on an actual '07/08 yet though so I didnt want to be the first. The lens is clear and the inside housing is black.

08SummitHoe

Reaction score
i just wanna bump this thread for the nicest suburban out there! great job brian!

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lovin itt!!! How did you get ur bowties done!???

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From another person's thread, I posted the following...

I painted the following:
-bowtie emblems front/rear
-suburban lettering
-chrome on the grill
-grill mesh

I did it all myself with rattle cans... :) I used Dupli Color brand from Autozone. So far its held up great for 5+ months, no chips. It's all in the prep though.

For the chrome grill (after taking the whole grill apart) I sanded the grill with 150grit to give it some bite. I think sprayed Adhesion promotor followed by 3 coats of primer and then 4-5 coats of Satin black.

For the grill mesh, I didnt sand. Just adhesion promoter, primer, paint. On the mesh I used Gloss black and then a couple coats of clear. (I wanted the mesh shiney)

For the emblems/letters: no sanding, adhesion promoter, prime, paint (Satin black)

I only sanded the chrome on the grill. It's really smooth/slippery so I wanted to give everything something to "bite" into. You dont have to sand it all off, just make it dull.

The chrome lettering I didnt sand though, way too tedious. I was more concerned about the grill holding up due to flying road debris.

The mesh and bowties are just bare plastic, so no sanding either.

tip #1
The adhesion promoter works great. Really allows the primer to bite into something and the primer then provides the bite for the paint. If you dont use adhesion promoter the primer/paint will probably flake off.

tip #2
Use a "tack" cloth to clean the part a few times before you start spraying

tip #3
Follow all instructions on the paint cans. If you deviate from the instructions problems/wrinkling will arise. For example, dont give coats "extra" time to dry. This is BAD. If the can says something like "apply coats 10 minutes apart within 1 hour" then make sure you do your coats right at 10 minutes. Dont wait 15 or 20. If you do, the paint will begin to "cure" and the next coat when sprayed on top will wrinkle everything and ruin it. This is the most important thing. READ, READ, READ. Have a clock/watch handy and even write down the times you sprayed at. Its OK to do more coats than 2-3 (the usual recommendation) as long as you follow the intervals and stop spraying within the time limit (usually 1hr).

tip #4
Make sure the primer, paint, and promoter are all compatible. Dont just buy the same brand name. Read the label and make sure you buy compatible stuff. (ie... Acrylic or Enamel, etc).

tip #5
Dont take shortcuts. Be careful once the paint it "dry". It takes 7 days to fully harden.

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey what was the color code you painted your emblems with, did you just use ratle can or what?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just wanna bump this thread for the nicest suburban out there! great job brian!

I absolutely love that blacked out secret service look.

Everything is nice in black except the chrome/polished bolts on the wheels...

Thanks, BTW. :D

I wanted it "blacked out" but I did it a little more subtle than most usually do it. I used some Satin black instead of Gloss. I wanted it to "blend" in with some of the different shades of black on the truck (such as some of the plastic parts, etc..)

I tried to avoid the Glossy black on every single part. I feel that sometimes makes the truck look like someone just "dipped" the whole thing in a giant vat of paint.

My goal was to black it out and make people wonder if it came stock like that or if I did it myself. I think I accomplished that based on the feedback from people on the street. :lol:

About the bolts on the wheels. Not much I can do about those. They're ornamental (except for one that holds the centercap on) and they are "press fit". So I dont think I can remove them to paint. I didnt want to try to paint them on the wheels, so I left them as-is. :cool:

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the Burb man! It looks really nice! I suggest going with the Denali tails. They are OEM and have the smoked look, and IMO, they look mean, especially at night. I got some for my Hoe and love them! I painted all of my stuff black too, and I know, count on the rock chips. It sucks hard, but they are inevitable.