Which is the best intake?

• AEM

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • K&N

Votes: 82 49.1%
  • Volant

Votes: 49 29.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOOST! you love me right? you know i love you! can i get a FREE intake? ill pay the shipping!!! :shhh: i wont tell anyone!
You can buy my old one for cheap, I'm buying the new black chrome tube and the aem rep said it's cheaper to just sell mine then switch tubes. I'll sell it to you for what I buy the new one for if you want, otherwise my buddy will cop it for $200.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what should a decent intake system cost me? i dont need top of the line i just want something that is going to make my truck sound good and give me better gas mileage. im getting my magnaflow dual exhaust on thursday.

bigjherms

Reaction score
I bought a new Volant intake for $250 on eBay using Best Offer. The Buy It Now price was for $300.

Places like stylinConepts.com and AutoAnything.com were listing Volant intakes for about $350-$380.

limeylee

Reaction score
I went in to 4wheelparts, asked for a quote on the Volant.
They quoted me $350, I said I could get it on ebay for $250 and they matched the price??

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my truck with 76000, just turned 84000 and I've cleaned it twice it's so easy.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my truck with 76000, just turned 84000 and I've cleaned it twice it's so easy.

ill have to let you know if i want it here in a few months bro. let me see how my exhaust is, and ill let you know, bro. what you suggest for headers?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynatech longtubes, I'll probably have that intake sold before I order the new one next month so do some work son!

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynatech longtubes, I'll probably have that intake sold before I order the new one next month so do some work son!

alright well dont hold it for me then. i appreciate the offer, i gotta wait a bit. so will the headers give me better gas mileage? im trying to beat the oil companies and squeeze as much gas mileage out of my tahoe as possible. will they give me a different sound with the exhaust and intake as well? and what should i pay for some decent middle of the road headers?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cough up the $1400 for dynatechs/stainless works or don't even bother IMO. Pacesetters are on the cheaper side, save your money and do it right the first time tho. Headers will help mileage as well as any other mod but a tune will do the most for your mileage.

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cough up the $1400 for dynatechs/stainless works or don't even bother IMO. Pacesetters are on the cheaper side, save your money and do it right the first time tho. Headers will help mileage as well as any other mod but a tune will do the most for your mileage.

please excuse my ignorance, what does a tune intale and how much is that gonna cost me? im the father and husband of a single income military family so cash isnt flowing so much. and where will i get a "tune" at?

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boost help a brother out! i know we have been talking about your handheld thingy but is the tune that you are talking about something i go to a shop and get done or what? how much is this gonna cost me? and what exactly will this tuner thingy you got do for my truck? the only thing i know about these things is that if you put bigger rims and tires on your truck you can change that in your computer with that handheld, right? but other than that, i know NOTHING about a TUNE or that handheld little guy you got. HELP!!!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok if you need more explaination:
CUSTOM PCM TUNE:
Requires removal of your PCM (engine computer under hood next to your battery)
Typically costs $250-$400
Blackbear offers custom tuning when you give them a deposit for the cable required for datalogging
More power/torque
Full adjustability of all engine parameters
Requires some basic understanding of computer equipment and tuning
Will adjust for tire sizing/gears
Most tuners will tailor a tune depending on your vehicle
Most economical and cost-effective programming available

HANDHELD PROGRAMMERS:
Typically cost $360-$500
Easy to use (read:ryan)
Adjusts fuel/ignition tables to a certain extent
Will not remove rear o2 sensors if an off-road exhaust is installed
Will not remove torque management of transmission
Increases mileage and offers some adjustment of transmission
Increases rev limiter (to a degree)
Reads and removes diagnostic trouble codes (the reason your check engine light came on)

The handheld programmer I'm selling is a good alternative for anyone not wanting to deal with the removal/reinstallation of the pcm or lack the necessary skill to deal with datalogging or emailing the required tables to a tuner (company providing the custom programming). Hope this clears things up for you, for more info check out the frequently asked questions on justin's site:
http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.html

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok if you need more explaination:
CUSTOM PCM TUNE:
Requires removal of your PCM (engine computer under hood next to your battery)
Typically costs $250-$400
Blackbear offers custom tuning when you give them a deposit for the cable required for datalogging
More power/torque
Full adjustability of all engine parameters
Requires some basic understanding of computer equipment and tuning
Will adjust for tire sizing/gears
Most tuners will tailor a tune depending on your vehicle
Most economical and cost-effective programming available

HANDHELD PROGRAMMERS:
Typically cost $360-$500
Easy to use (read:ryan)
Adjusts fuel/ignition tables to a certain extent
Will not remove rear o2 sensors if an off-road exhaust is installed
Will not remove torque management of transmission
Increases mileage and offers some adjustment of transmission
Increases rev limiter (to a degree)
Reads and removes diagnostic trouble codes (the reason your check engine light came on)

The handheld programmer I'm selling is a good alternative for anyone not wanting to deal with the removal/reinstallation of the pcm or lack the necessary skill to deal with datalogging or emailing the required tables to a tuner (company providing the custom programming). Hope this clears things up for you, for more info check out the frequently asked questions on justin's site:
http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.html

alright so im sort of on the same page, so how does this give you better MPG and where can i get a custom tune?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude read my post a few times! Custom tunes are available from:
pcm4less
nelsonperformance
blackbear
wheatly
zippy
and the list goes on

SapperRyash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude read my post a few times! Custom tunes are available from:
pcm4less
nelsonperformance
blackbear
wheatly
zippy
and the list goes on

my bad, this is just the first i have heard about this sort of thing and its all chinese algebra backwards to me.

somekindofhate

Reaction score
I just emailed that dude from blackbear, seems from the sounds of it an honest person from reading his home page. I think i'll go that route.