Post your Tahoe peeves here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think bose is the best out there. my dad had a system put in his house with, a 1000 watt HT with 6 speakers in the den, and a 10,000 watt amplifier with 40 flush mount speakers hooked up to it, there are 4 speakers in the ceiling of every room in the house, except bathrooms, and then he had 4 out door bose put by the pool, its an awsome system sounds real good and they installed it for free because of the bulk order. the look like this, we had the circle grates put on, all you see is the the white part sticking out of the ceiling, the black boxes is in the attic, it sounds AWSOME. http://www.azone.ch/images/Bose-191.jpg

and the best part is you can watch a movie in 6.1 surround sound and listen to music out side with ONE system. or have all speakers play the same source, like for a party.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bose...here we go again...

i think bose is the best out there. my dad had a system put in his house with, a 1000 watt HT with 6 speakers in the den, and a 10,000 watt amplifier with 40 flush mount speakers hooked up to it, there are 4 speakers in the ceiling of every room in the house, except bathrooms, and then he had 4 out door bose put by the pool, its an awsome system sounds real good and they installed it for free because of the bulk order. the look like this, we had the circle grates put on, all you see is the the white part sticking out of the ceiling, the black boxes is in the attic, it sounds AWSOME. http://www.azone.ch/images/Bose-191.jpg

and the best part is you can watch a movie in 6.1 surround sound and listen to music out side with ONE system. or have all speakers play the same source, like for a party.

I am glad you like the system, but you can get MUCH higher quality for less cost when compared to Bose...Bose is definetely good at one thing, marketing to people that have money to burn and not enough time to research and compare specifications. Look at the Bose speakers...paper cones compared to metal or plastic of higher end speakers for same or lower cost.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad you like the system, but you can get MUCH higher quality for less cost when compared to Bose...Bose is definetely good at one thing, marketing to people that have money to burn and not enough time to research and compare specifications. Look at the Bose speakers...paper cones compared to metal or plastic of higher end speakers for same or lower cost.

we looked at athena speakers but they did not offer the flush mount ceiling speakers. the store we went was not a bose retail store it was a store that sold them all, no it was not best buy, it was a custom home audio store, they had everything you could amagin, and the bose sounded best to us, we tried sony, athena, pioneer, kenwood, yamaha, polk, and bose, and bose came out on top. we thought it was worth the extra price, and only bose offered the versitility of the system to be able to only need one reciver with an aplifier, so it looks like a standard system insted of a dj center. plus its neat to watch a movie in the den and with the same sytem listen to music by the pool.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying there is anything...

we looked at athena speakers but they did not offer the flush mount ceiling speakers. the store we went was not a bose retail store it was a store that sold them all, no it was not best buy, it was a custom home audio store, they had everything you could amagin, and the bose sounded best to us, we tried sony, athena, pioneer, kenwood, yamaha, polk, and bose, and bose came out on top. we thought it was worth the extra price, and only bose offered the versitility of the system to be able to only need one reciver with an aplifier, so it looks like a standard system insted of a dj center. plus its neat to watch a movie in the den and with the same sytem listen to music by the pool.

Necessarily wrong with Bose...just that Bose is to the stereo world what Rolex is to the watch world. Both are good quality (and I have both and others), just that those in the know know that there are equally good (if not better) watches for less than a Rolex (Breitling, Omega, Cartier....)...but Rolex (and Bose) are marketing masters....they know that 90% of the people in the world are going to go with a name they know and can throw around rather than spend $$ on a lesser known name (to them anyway) for the same or better quality (ever heard of a Patek watch....if someone told you they would give you a Rolex or Patek, which would you take...betting on the $5K Rolex even though the least expensive Patek available is $15K....but not everyone knows Patek so to masses it doesn't accomplish the goal of 'bling'...everyone has heard of Bose, but not Carver or Nemis sound equipment). It is also impossible to compare sound quality of different sound systems unless are parameters are identical (environment, reciever, temperature, humidity, amplifer settings, etc. etc.). I am glad you are pleased with your system and I am sure you will enjoy if for years to come!! :thumbsup: Just curious, was the sales guy at the custom shop answering all your questions about different systems equally and allowing you to mess with all the systems or was he always leaning towards the Bose? How many hours, days, weeks and different places did you spend/try before going with the Bose...or did the sales guy tell you, "You can't go wrong with Bose, everyone knows Bose can't be beat"....the only company in the world that can accomplish what 6 speakers do with a single shoebox speaker....:lol: :nono:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Necessarily wrong with Bose...just that Bose is to the stereo world what Rolex is to the watch world. Both are good quality (and I have both and others), just that those in the know know that there are equally good (if not better) watches for less than a Rolex (Breitling, Omega, Cartier....)...but Rolex (and Bose) are marketing masters....they know that 90% of the people in the world are going to go with a name they know and can throw around rather than spend $$ on a lesser known name (to them anyway) for the same or better quality (ever heard of a Patek watch....if someone told you they would give you a Rolex or Patek, which would you take...betting on the $5K Rolex even though the least expensive Patek available is $15K....but not everyone knows Patek so to masses it doesn't accomplish the goal of 'bling'...everyone has heard of Bose, but not Carver or Nemis sound equipment). It is also impossible to compare sound quality of different sound systems unless are parameters are identical (environment, reciever, temperature, humidity, amplifer settings, etc. etc.). I am glad you are pleased with your system and I am sure you will enjoy if for years to come!! :thumbsup: Just curious, was the sales guy at the custom shop answering all your questions about different systems equally and allowing you to mess with all the systems or was he always leaning towards the Bose? How many hours, days, weeks and different places did you spend/try before going with the Bose...or did the sales guy tell you, "You can't go wrong with Bose, everyone knows Bose can't be beat"....the only company in the world that can accomplish what 6 speakers do with a single shoebox speaker....:lol: :nono:

i acully know patek, but i dont ware watches, i just use my cell phone.

how it worked was he had two speakers hooked up to the same receiver in the same part of the room, all you did was push a button and it would change speakers, if we were going to get a ht system only we would have gone with polk ,but their sound for a whole house system was not that good. the sales men pushed the sonys ( at the stores we didnt buy from), claiming that they were the best picture so they have equally the best sound. we went to three places. Magnolia custome home theatres, but they specailised in home meadia rooms not whole house systems. we tried a place called sound works audio and video, but wanted to charge us 150 PER SPEAKER TO INSTALL. and the place we ended was a mom and pop place called audio connection, they installed the system at 50% off because of the bulk order. plus they had the cheapest prices. they claimed that the best speakers were the ones that sounded best to you, because no research can tell how you hear. Bose just spoke to us, heck we had an 8 speaker bose on the big boat and an 4 speaker one on the little boat, they sound really great and have a deep base to them. but i guess the bose system is an IMO type thing, just depends on you. :thumbsup:

jscgolf

Reaction score
OK ... first trip last weekend. Worse courtesy lighting ever !!! My wife likes to knit on long trips and at night she needs the passenger lights on ... but the lighting extends over to the driver and is BLINDING !!! I know I might be the only one that has ever complained about this - but it is just AWFUL !!! Our '01 Blazer LT has very directional courtesy lights which are great. Is there any option to change the lighting in the Tahoe ???

Also ... with the rear entertainment system there should be some indirect "cabin" lighting that you could control (much like conversion vans had - remember ???)

elementau

Reaction score
Annoying dots on the Nav where you just traveled. Anyone know how to turn that off or clear them?

1BadPig

Reaction score
The chime in the reverse sensor is too soft. When the AC is cranking in the Florida heat and the stereo is on, it is almost impossible to hear it.

KungFuJoe

Reaction score
I LOVE MY TRUCK, but...

2. In a truck this size, why must I forego listening to a CD so my kids can watch a DVD? In my wife's FX45, the DVD gets installed in the rear, allowing mom and dad to listen to one of 6 (!!!) CDs while they watch their DVD - or we can listen to the DVD.

Did your Tahoe/RES come with wireless headphones? My 07 came with 2 sets of headphones. So the kids wear the headphones, which always output whatever is on the DVD, and you can switch the car speakers to any other source.

sdoo25

Reaction score
Annoying dots on the Nav where you just traveled. Anyone know how to turn that off or clear them?

You probably have your off-road tracking feature, "breadcrumbs", of the nav turned on. Go into the nav settings and you should see it as an option underneath the option for gas stations to show up on the nav when you're low on fuel.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel volume controls are not very responsive as far as how long it takes to raise or lower volume.

Murfs

Reaction score
Radio/Nav. system

2008 LTZ, this is my 6th Tahoe, but this one is driving me crazy!
RADIO; The speed compsenated volume feature was a big plus in buying Chevy again, BUT this one really does not have a speed compensated volume control. Yes it is there, but if it does not compensat. so it does not have one. Do not listen to the sevice writer, IT DOES NOT WORK !
NAV. SYSTEM; is the worst on the market. The background colors are wrong, hard to read. Plus it has many errors, like tring like wanting get me to drive across a lake,(Can not walk on water either) direct me to go straight at a "T" road, forgetting to tell me to take an exit ramp before having me make a turn and when "Mark" a address, off as much as 2 miles.
These little things bug me evertime I drive. So I am learning to hate my 2008 Tahoe.

BUT, it is good looking !

KungFuJoe

Reaction score
My biggest gripe is the lack of integrated bluetooth. I guess it's the OnStar that keeps them from doing that, but in this day and age, it almost seems neanderthalic (if that's a word) to not have bluetooth in a 40-50K dollar vehicle.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is the lack of integrated bluetooth. I guess it's the OnStar that keeps them from doing that, but in this day and age, it almost seems neanderthalic (if that's a word) to not have bluetooth in a 40-50K dollar vehicle.

It's Verizon that keeps them from doing that. They want you to buy minutes for the car's built in cell phone.
The lack of bluetooth would've been a deal breaker for me but there wasn't a 4wd vehicle out there comparable to the tahoe. I'd have gotten a Landcruiser but it has significantly less cargo area and is about $10,000 overpriced.
Tahoe's saving grace is that there isn't anything else like it out there.

Last edited:

PeanutGallery

Reaction score
Did your Tahoe/RES come with wireless headphones? My 07 came with 2 sets of headphones. So the kids wear the headphones, which always output whatever is on the DVD, and you can switch the car speakers to any other source.

from what i understand you can switch the speakers to XM or AM/FM but not to a CD - because the CD slot is also where the DVD for the RSE screen has to reside.

probably would've been better to have a dedicated 3rd slot somewhere for the RSE dvd player....but oh well.

my only gripes so far, besides the aforementioned one about the RSE/CD source conflict, would be the lack of available factory HID's, the lack of auto-up on at least the front windows, and GM's decision to only offer the 6-speed auto in denali's, escalades, and now the 2500 suburbans while leaving the 'regular' tahoes, yukons, and suburbans w/ the older 4-speed. bluetooth would be nice but it obviously wasn't a deal-breaker for me....

all in all, though, i love our suburban and certainly have no regrets on choosing it over its competition!