Power Liftgate Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Anybody else having problems with their powerlift gate? We've had our new Denali 3 weeks now and its been it's going back to the dealership for a 2nd time. Problem is we'll power open the liftgate, start pulling something out of the back and suddenly it starts coming down all by itself. First time we took it in the dealer said there was a notice out to dealers about some having faulty wiring but apparently they didn't get it fixed the first time.

Anyway, looking to see if others are having the same problem.

Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope -- no problem here. I do recall however after we got the truck that I was freaking out that the liftgate was broken because the remotes wouldn't open it and the button on the handle wouldn't either. Turned out I "missed" the lockout feature (center button, overhead controls). :eek:

With regard to your trouble, the only time my liftgate will come back down is if it's encountered and obstacle (i.e. I've backed too far into my garage, and it taps the back wall when I open it from the overheard control). I've gotten quite good at following the parking sensor's guidance... :D

Hope you get it fixed!

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my Tahoe I had an issue with the power liftgate. It would open and close on it's own. It would also close while I was trying to get inside almost swallowing me up into the beast. The switch on the liftgate interior was replaced to no avail. Finally we figured out it was the rubberized exterior switch that was bad. It was replaced and I have not had another issue like that since. I know there was another person on here that had the same issue. I gave him the info for my dealer and they worked his out also.

:beerchug:

Canucklehead

Reaction score
I've had a problem with my power liftgate on my 07 Denali but not the same problem as yours. One day it just stopped working. It made all the sounds as if it was still working so I'm thinking it was a problem with the gears. It cost me two trips to the dealer and a major inconvenience. They ended up ordering the whole mechanism and replacing the whole thing. I have nightmares about all the toys on this beast and all the things that could potentially go wrong especially out of warranty. Luckily I only leased this one.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document ID# 1999329
2007 GMC Truck Yukon XL Denali

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Power Liftgate May Open or Close About a Third of the Way then Reverses, DTC B135E and/or B135F Set (Inspect Liftgate Wiring Harness and Repair as Necessary) #07-08-47-005 - (07/23/2007)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV

2007 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

with Power Lift Gate (RPO E61)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the power liftgate opens about a third of the way and then reverses to the closed position. Other customers may comment that when the power liftgate is open, the liftgate starts to close about a third of the way and then reopens. The technician may find diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B135E-Liftgate Position Sensor Signal Circuit and/or B135F-Liftgate Object Sensor Signal Circuit set.

Cause
The cause may be a sharp sheet metal edge inside the inner roof panel chafing the liftgate wiring harness.

Correction
Inspect the liftgate wiring harness and repair as necessary using the steps below.

Verify the condition and check for any DTCs.
Remove the rear door upper garnish molding and retainers. Refer to Rear Door Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in SI.
Remove the headliner push retainers.
Important: Do not fold or crease the headliner panel.

Slightly pull down on the center of the headliner panel.
Locate connector C405, which is a light gray 22-way connector located under the center of the rear headliner panel.
Tip
Use a shop towel when disconnecting the rear washer hose to help absorb any washer fluid that may leak.

Disconnect the C405 connector and the rear wiper washer hose.
Remove the wiring harness pass through retainer, wiring harness, C405 connector and the washer hose from the roof panel.

Visually inspect the liftgate wiring harness as shown above and repair any damaged wires. Refer to Wiring Repairs in SI.
Important: After repairing the wires, wrap the wiring harness with electrical tape and install conduit.

Install a piece of Kent-P92565, wire harness wrap 18 mm (¾ in) inside diameter (I.D.) by 145 mm (5¾ in) length or equivalent flexible conduit to the liftgate wiring harness.

Install two pieces of Kent-KT13080, Posi-Seal Plusâ„¢ or equivalent of electrical moisture sealant pad to the lower inner flange (1) inside the roof panel.
Install the liftgate connector C405, wiring harness and the rear washer wiper hose back through the roof panel.
Connect the C405 connector, the rear wiper washer hose and seat the wiring harness pass through retainer.
Clear any DTCs.
Open and close the power rear liftgate ten complete cycles.
Install the headliner push retainers.
Install the rear door upper garnish molding.
Verify that the condition has been fixed.
Parts Information
Order Kent*-KT13080, Posi-Seal Plusâ„¢ and P92565, Wire Harness Wrap from Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT or online at www.kent-automotive.com.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/material. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Part Number
Description
Qty
Material Allowance

KT13080
Posi-Seal Plusâ„¢-Kent

(2½ x 2½ Pads)
$2.06 per vehicle

($2.15 in Canada)

P92565
Wire Harness Wrap-Kent

(¾ in I.D. x 15 ft roll)
$1.26 per vehicle

($1.32 in Canada)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N6636
Wiring And/Or Connector - Entry Control Systems - Repair Or Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1999329
2007 GMC Truck Yukon XL Denali

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power liftgate has had none of the problems decribed here, but I can attest to the general lack of quality shown in GM's execution of this option. For background, know that in December I traded in a '07 Nissan Armada for my '07 z71 Suburban. There was nothing wrong with the Armada, per se, but it was a simple matter of wanting more room behing the 3rd row seats (actually, besides the cargo area, an Armada is much roomier inside than a Suburban/Tahoe).

Anyways, the power liftgate on the Armada was far superior to the Suburban's while retaining all the same features, such as: remote open/close, open/close from front cab, obstruction detection, etc.

However, the Armada's liftgate was better in a number of ways:

First, it opened and closed quicker (the Suburban's takes awhile longer).

Second, the Armada was virtually silent in operation while the Suburban has a relatively loud mechanical sound to it.

Third, the "manual" close button in the Armada was in a more convenient spot, basically in the area where the power liftgate rod housing is on the Suburban. When you have your hands full of stuff (probably the reason you needed to be back there in the first place), I've found it much more difficult to press the Burb's button way up in the air at the end of the liftgate. Also the Armada's close button is illuminated at night and far easier to find than the Burbs which is located by feel.

Fourth, the Armada could revert to a manual open at a simple tug of the gate. I hate how on the Suburban I have to press the button and then wait (seemingly forever) for it to open. Sometimes I just want to get in there and I want to open it by hand. I don't see how that's done on the Burb.

And lastly, overall operation in the Armada was much smoother and had a generally higher quality feel relative to the Suburban. This is something that is hard to describe, but something about the GM liftgate makes we wonder when its going to break.

Had I never had the Armada, probably none of these would seem like much of an issue, but I did, and it is for me. Sure most of these are my own little niggles, but sometimes I hate the apparant arrogance of GM for not bothering to consider doing some things better.

TaHeezy4Sheezy

Reaction score
Is there a way to add the power lift gate option .. I currently have the manual lift gate option.. ahhaha!! Anybody done this?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could, you'd have to also change the left rear quarter interior as the panels are different.

TAHOE22

Reaction score
Ha, and with all the nonsense just described, i think i can press the button and let the hydraulics pull it up. :) NO power lift for me!

kimheard

Reaction score
lift gate coming back down

Followed all the instructions for checking the wiring and connection under the head liner and still the lift gate goes up part way and comes back down. Anyone have any additional suggestions?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh one other thing before you change anything out.. does the liftgate stay open in manual operation because you could just have some worn hatch struts

kitsbeach

Reaction score
Oh one other thing before you change anything out.. does the liftgate stay open in manual operation because you could just have some worn hatch struts

MY liftgate does the same thing...opens about a third of the way and closes again.

And when it is in manual mode I can barely lift it up and it does not stay up.

Sounds from the above that I need new struts. Do these things wear out without any warning..? My liftgate was working yesterday.

And has anyone replaced their struts and di it work for them..?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well chances are is that one wore out and being that the liftgate is pretty heavy 1 good one isn't enough to hold it up. But its best to replace the both of them

china06132013

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali, and about a month ago I got in the driver side and I could hear the liftgate sound like it was trying to open, I thought I might have hit the button on the remote by accident and played it off. Now it does it almost everytime I get in my Denali. And when I put it in gear, after a few feet, you can hear it lock itself and the doors will lock. And now sometimes I can't open it at all. When I went grocery shopping it did the same thing except this time when I drove away the whole door opened dumping my groceries on the ground. Any suggestions?

Dualchamp

Reaction score
I am having that problem. I thought maybe i wAs doing something to cause it to suddenly start closing, but now thinking its not my fault. Im at the dealership now for an oil change and asked them to look into it.