(((power liftgate)))

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my liftgate struts(supports) just went out on me a few days ago and instead of just replacing them i thought id check into getting a power lift system for it. has anyone done this mod yet. would the kit from a new yukon be easy to convert to my 2000 yukon? i was thinking about a system thats normally used on trunks(pop trunk kit).....if i decide to just go get replacement struts, is there a better/stronger one to get and what size to get. thanks. any feedback is very welcomed.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out a site called Autoloc, also called the hoffman group, they do alot of aftermarket gadget stuff, shaved doors, door poppers, exhaust flame throwers, actuators, etc....
They make have something that will work for your application.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks. i found some replacement struts at pep boys, brand name sachs, are they ant good?

IMI4tth3w

Reaction score
its just a strut. if it works then theres not much else to it

as far as getting it powered, it would require a lot more than you think. for one the nnbs power liftgates would be near impossible to get to work. plus you have to figure out how your going to get it to power open the handle to lift open. just stick with the new struts man unless you plan on making some sort of show car or really really want to pop trunk in a tahoe. which would be SUPER gay.

:)

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just a strut. if it works then theres not much else to it

as far as getting it powered, it would require a lot more than you think. for one the nnbs power liftgates would be near impossible to get to work. plus you have to figure out how your going to get it to power open the handle to lift open. just stick with the new struts man unless you plan on making some sort of show car or really really want to pop trunk in a tahoe. which would be SUPER gay.

:)

i know its just a strut, but i thought maybe someone else here had experience with replacing them and maybe ran across some that didnt last long or were poor quality, that all. as far as powered liftgate being "gay", you can save that. if it were so "gay" they wouldnt have used them on the newer vehicles. i just wanted something unique to add to MY YUKON and thought maybe it wouldnt be too expensive or technical to have it powered.....thanks for your opinions though.

rob0014

Reaction score
I would love to have the power liftgate. I usually have to unload the groceries by myself and with two hands full of heavy bags it can be a challenge to reach up and pull the liftgate down without getting a bad of groceries trapped between the gate and the bumper.

How do these things work - can you open and close the liftgate manually, or do you have to use the power mechanism?

If you were willing to give up the ability to manually open and close the gate, you could maybe add a linear actuator on each side and use a trunk-pop solenoid to release the latch, but it wouldn't look pretty.

If you like to tinker, the Mercedes S-class has had power-close available on the trunk (and doors on some models). A lot of that stuff on those cars is pneumatic (air operated) - like the power locks and rear headrest release.