Power steering issue for parking lot maneuvers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cakersq

Reaction score
1997 Tahoe 4 door 5.7L V8 4WD with 183k miles

My power steering pump was dieing, making a huge noise. Took the beast to a horrible shop, they replaced the pump, which then exploded a week later. They replaced the pump again, then power steering worked turning left, but not right. They next replaced the steering gear box. Fluid flush was performed all times, serpentine belt, and tensioner and idler pulleys also replaced.

Issue is now the power steering seems to cut out during "parking lot maneuvers", as in when I'm pulling into a parking space, I get the wheel turned 1/2 way and the power steering assist stops, and I have to force the wheel to turn further (and avoid hitting the car in the next spot).

Power steering works fine when completely stopped, and while driving.

Any ideas what would be causing this?

Thanks.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Position sensor under dash for the variable power assist would be a good guess as to the culprit I suspect......

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great suggestion lester you can scan for codes in the pcm being that it's not emissions related it won't set a SES light but can set a DTC only I'm guessing its a faulty PS pump

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never got a DTC when my sensor was bad, but it isnt a bad idea to check them......

nasmith

Reaction score
I had a steering sensor problem on my 98 2 door and I cured it (for at least 45000 miles) by spraying contact cleaner into it and turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times - worked like magic and it is still ok.

Norm