premium ride suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave904

Reaction score
i'm considering lowering my hoe 2/3. i read something on here about premium ride suspension or something of the sort. i was told i have the replace the shocks if i have premium ride, to get the full drop. how do i tell if i have that kind of suspension? also what all must i do to drop my truck if i have premium?

thanks.

energ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken only LT models have autoride.

the easiest way to tell is on the "LT " badge it will say autoride under it- MOST YEARS

otherwise start your truck get out and go to the back and listen for the autoride to kick on to level the truck

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is dropped 4" and I have about 1" or more of shock uptravel in front. The stock bumpstops will prevent damage to your shocks but I'm going to trim them down and build some upper shock mounts to get my travel back. The rear uses shock extensions so you're cool on the rear, just file down the shorter autoride links they supply in the kit if your rear raises up once you start the truck.

dave904

Reaction score
okay, i kinda get it. my truck is an LT. i plan on using the DJM 2/3 using the keys up front and the springs out back. i don't have the tools or room to lower it myself so i plan to have a shop do it. any other advice to make sure i get the full 2/3? thanks boost and energ!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
auto ride is an option and most around here DONT have it, i have it but it was a 1800 dollar option, and yes AUTORIDE is written under the slt on the badge, but if you did not have auto ride you had premium smooth ride that was standard on lt so if you have an lt or slt you have it or you may have auto ride.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
premium ride is not the same as autoride. Autoride is the z55 suspension option most commonly known as the "air ride" . Premium Smooth Ride is the ZW7 option the few people know about with high pressure monotube shocks in the front and self-leveling "nivomat type" shocks in the rear. The rear shocks have a jobber price of about $420 for the premium smooth ride package. I might be wrong but i believe ZW7 was an option along with Z55 up until 2005 when ZW7 became standard and Z55 was the only other "Non Z71" suspension option. I could be wrong though!

But anyways, the premium smooth ride shocks are completely interchangeable with the standard shocks off a plain jane tahoe! Im not too sure about needing to change them in order to drop it but maybe this info helps

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the autoride on my 00 and the kit with my 2/3 had a little diagram on how to mod the pin that tells the computer when the truck is squatting too low in the rear. It's all pretty simple. Also, I did get the full 3" of drop in the rear as well.