Projector Headlights/Angel Eyes/HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so the HALOS only will show... when then the car is basically unlocked via the key fob... any other time?

And the hids will show thru the halos as high beams and low beams... if i have them set to do so... the Halos are never primary sources of light for true driving pruposes correct.

they are on when ever your parking lights are on, which is when your head lights are on.

i have two kits on mine, a high and a low. they are seperate, the ones i have pictured are my lows.

the halos help you be seen better as any light will, but the dont project much light on the road.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ok.... so the "best" way to do it is to have a hid kit for lows and highs?

and they are intergrated into the system to work as traditional lights do? not a seperate switch or something for the hid?

do you know about the watts/temp/color relation...

ive read people to the 10000k hid... some 6000k... whats the relationship exactly?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ok.... so the "best" way to do it is to have a hid kit for lows and highs?

and they are intergrated into the system to work as traditional lights do? not a seperate switch or something for the hid?

do you know about the watts/temp/color relation...

ive read people to the 10000k hid... some 6000k... whats the relationship exactly?

the higher the number the less output you get and the more blue it gets , 8000k is the absolute highest IMO i would go as any blueer and the cops stop you and people flash.

if you want more light anyware from 4300k to 5000k is the best, 6000k has some blue and still good output but i want more so i ordered a 4300 55 watt hid system today for my lows and i gunna get a 4300 35 watt system from mike as soon as i make some more money.

if you install them right the high low is just moving the stalk like the oem lights. you will need to mount the ballests someware. if you order mikes kit they need to be hooked up to the battery, which can be hard since the battery is a cramped space.

trust me, this will all be easier once you own one.

but im always willing to help :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the 55watt and 35 watt difference?

im not sure, i never new there were 55 watt HIDs until this morning.

all i know is they burn hotter but at 35% brighter than 35watt HIDS, thats enough for me to get them. I LIKE BRIGHT:D

their both very good and 35watts produce 350%better light than halagons. :thumbsup:

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well hotter might mean shorter life of the bulb..... just makes sense to me... but then again i dont know much about these things....

Im writing down a list of things im gonna do when i get it...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well hotter might mean shorter life of the bulb..... just makes sense to me... but then again i dont know much about these things....

Im writing down a list of things im gonna do when i get it...

I doubt that it means shorter life. What it does mean is that the arc is larger and uses more power, and is therefore brighter. The distance between the bulbs anode and cathode would be slightly increased to allow for a larger arc. I wouldn't install them in my fogs, but as main headlights, well, yeah, that'd be pretty sweet! ;)

Just to put things in perspective, IMAX theaters use xenon plasma (HID) bulbs that are like 15kW. That's 15,000 Watts. Enclosed in a special light containment area of the projection booth, etc. Try Google and Wikipedia sometime dude -- pretty amazing stuff that comes out of these research labs. (Like: HIDs were invented in Germany in the 1940's and brought to market by Osram in 1951. Currently they use extreme UV xenon plasma to photographically etch silicon for CPU and semiconductor wafers, with the plasma arc reaching temps of 200,000° Celsius!) AMAZING and incredible stuff indeed! They need to have a Discovery Channel show on this or something.
:umn: :umn: :umn:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that it means shorter life. What it does mean is that the arc is larger and uses more power, and is therefore brighter. The distance between the bulbs anode and cathode would be slightly increased to allow for a larger arc. I wouldn't install them in my fogs, but as main headlights, well, yeah, that'd be pretty sweet! ;)

Just to put things in perspective, IMAX theaters use xenon plasma (HID) bulbs that are like 15kW. That's 15,000 Watts. Enclosed in a special light containment area of the projection booth, etc. Try Google and Wikipedia sometime dude -- pretty amazing stuff that comes out of these research labs. (Like: HIDs were invented in Germany in the 1940's and brought to market by Osram in 1951. Currently they use extreme UV xenon plasma to photographically etch silicon for CPU and semiconductor wafers, with the plasma arc reaching temps of 200,000° Celsius!) AMAZING and incredible stuff indeed! They need to have a Discovery Channel show on this or something.
:umn: :umn: :umn:

yea i bet the fog housings would be liquid plastic, but i did order a 9005 set as staited on another page, cant wait for them to come in. new BRIGHTER low beams HERE I COME.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i feel more informed about this subject now, but my tahoe purchase has been delayed due to my dumb decisions due to credit in my younger years... So i just gotta save up a lil longer...

Armo325

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading up on the HID kits because it's definitely something I'd like to do, but one question remains: Where did you all get the new headlight housings? I assume you aren't putting HIDs in the stock housing and I also assume the HID kits don't come with a whole new housing, so what types are out there and what are the best ones to get? Thanks.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this whole thread now that i had a $hatty coarse of luck today!!!! i was driving home and someone hit a stray piece of tire and threw it up and broke my passenger headlight along with a few scratches on my bumper light and grille!!:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:
but i'm looking on the brightside and giving myself a reason to update my front too.

Armo just asked everything i was looking for too..
It looks like you have aftermarket housings right RT?? Do they work with you HID's?

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you get the aftermarket ones from cause i'm thinking about getting some projectors????

And Thanks for the offer cause I might do that, cause then i could experiment with the broken one and see if i can remove the amber. I think i'm gonna have to sleep on it though...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you get the aftermarket ones from cause i'm thinking about getting some projectors????

And Thanks for the offer cause I might do that, cause then i could experiment with the broken one and see if i can remove the amber. I think i'm gonna have to sleep on it though...

tell you what, you can have one at that price, or 50 shipped for BOTH:thumbsup:

but mine are from gm, they are gm parts direct for a denali, i had my local custom shop add the halos.

Last edited:

Armo325

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell you what, you can have one at that price, or 50 shipped for BOTH:thumbsup:

but mine are from gm, they are gm parts direct for a denali, i had my local custom shop add the halos.

Are you talking about the ones on your truck now or the ones you replaced? Where did you go to get in touch with GM Parts direct? Are there any other options to buy decent headlight housings that are compatible with an HID kit?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ones on your truck now or the ones you replaced? Where did you go to get in touch with GM Parts direct? Are there any other options to buy decent headlight housings that are compatible with an HID kit?

their sold now anyway, but i was talking about the stock ones.

and i talked to the dealer who went through gm parts direct for me. when your friends with the dealer you get alot of nice querks.

Armo325

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and i talked to the dealer who went through gm parts direct for me. when your friends with the dealer you get alot of nice querks.

So for those of us without an in at a dealership, do you have any recommendations for a good place to get those things?

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for those of us without an in at a dealership, do you have any recommendations for a good place to get those things?

You can still buy parts at the dealer. You can always try haggling them on price - i've actually had luck with that before.