Pulley Play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Just wondering if there should be any play on the power steering pulley? I am not talking about any wobble or excessive movement. It's just that I can move the pulley in and out on the shaft maybe 1/32". Is this allowable or should there be absolutely no play/movement on the pulley?

I ask because I have had a strange noise ever since replacing the pwr strg pump and don't remember if I could move the pulley before replacing the pump.

Just replaced the pulley on the tensioner but I can still hear something coming somewhere?????

Thought maybe the belt being out of alignment might be causing this noise but am just guessing at this point.

Any ideas??

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little bit of play in p/s too. I also had a little squeel. I replaced h2o pump,idler and tensioer pulleys and bearings...with no luck...turns out I was getting cheap belts. Go to NAPA spend the money and get a belt...Hope that works

97tahoe

Reaction score
belt????

Well I know I need a new belt but was concentrating on pulleys in the serpentine cycle.

Maybe I will give the belt a shot.