Purchased a new-to-me Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiguy

Reaction score
Hi all... long-time Audi driver, finally picked up a Tahoe this weekend. I found a 2001 Tahoe LT, charcoal/gray, 105,000 miles in decent shape. Just thought I'd try this forum out as I'm a big DIY guy but I don't know much about working on these trucks!

A few "upgrades" right off the bat...

- Picked up an OEM tow hitch on Ebay. Truck is already wired for towing, but no actual hitch. Install should be pretty straightforward right?

- Car has stock audio system, which is fine, but what's the simplest way to add an aux input for my phone? Not interested in a tape deck adapter, I'd prefer direct input. Is there a good bluetooth adapter for A2DP?

Problems that will need addressing at some point...
- Driver's door has a broken/damage hinge I think. Clicks when it's opened past 45 degrees or so, and drops down slightly when open. I was told this is a common problem, don't really know if it's worth fixing but figure I should look into what's required in case it's simple.

- Brake lines in the back are pretty rusted. Difficult job to replace them? Shop said something about having to "make" new lines using stock material, don't know what that entails.

- what's the best shop/service manual to get? I've used Bentley for my other cars, not sure if this is recommended for Tahoes

- Probably will do an oil change and spark plugs first thing just to set the pace for maintenance. Recommended oil type (synthetic?)/weight/filter brand/sparks brand/model?

Otherwise there's really not much else going on with this baby. Drives really well, body is super clean, interior is nearly flawless aside from some cracks in the driver's seat, but nothing unexpected or significant. This will NOT serve as my daily... I'll be using my A4 wagon for that purpose as it's more fun to drive, better on fuel, smaller for street parking, etc. But this is going to be my weekend warrior... towing the boat, hauling things/people, or just cruising in comfort. Parents have helped out with the cost a bit, so they'll get to use it when they need it to.

Psyched to get her registered and start driving!