Pusling brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pulsing drum brakes. I used the e-brake to verify this. I bought new drums thinking it was them. Um nope. So I took a tire off and drum off and started my truck and put it in drive. There is about a 1/16 or so warpage on the axle flange. Will that cause the pulsing in the drum brakes? Thanks

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread. First, what year truck do you have? But pulsing brakes more than likely warped rotors if you have drum brakes on the back. If you have discs all the way around and hydroboost, it COULD still be warped rotors, but I would attempt to fully flush the power steering and brake fluid before condemning the rotors or pads or parking brake.

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 tahoe. I posted in the wrong year forum. But brakes are brakes. It's not the rotors, I feel no pulsing in the steering wheel. And it's not the drums. There can't be the same pulsing with the new drums as with the old drums. I used the e-brake to slow me down and the pulsing was there and stopped using the e-brake and the pulsing went away. I think that the axel flange should be straight. Am I right about the axel flange? Thanks

ILoveMyHoe

Reaction score
My 07 does this also, guy at the shop said eventually they would wear down and correct themselves. No difference so far.

NCFD4303

Reaction score
it sounds like the rear shoes are out of adjustment. You can purchase a new set of shoes and that should take care of it.

clkelley

Reaction score
I have a 99 tahoe. I posted in the wrong year forum. But brakes are brakes. It's not the rotors, I feel no pulsing in the steering wheel. And it's not the drums. There can't be the same pulsing with the new drums as with the old drums. I used the e-brake to slow me down and the pulsing was there and stopped using the e-brake and the pulsing went away. I think that the axel flange should be straight. Am I right about the axel flange? Thanks

Okie Dokie, first, brakes are different on different models, they are not all the same, some have simple brake master cylinder set ups, while later models have a hydroboost assisted master cylinder that provides better brake pressure for firmer braking.

When you put the new drums and shoes on, did you also replace the old rear drum hardware inside there? It is quite common for the adjustment hardware to wear out in the front calipers as well as the rear drums from heat cycling, when this happens, it can be almost impossible to get the rear shoes properly adjusted. This could be and most likely is your issue if you did not replace that hardware.

I highly doubt the axle flange is causing your issue.

NCFD4303

Reaction score
If its bent like that then i guess its time to hit up a salvage yard and get a replacement.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BEFORE you do that, pull the rotor off, take a wire brush in between the studs and clean everything VERY WELL, the try again...... may be some rust buildup causing that, unless you can pull the rotor off and see it warble on the actual axle.....

If the flange on the end of the axle shaft moves like that rotor, then you need a new axle shaft, and good luck man....

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. There isn't any rust. and 1999 tahoe doesn't have rear rotors. But would of been real nice if rust was the problem.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drums can do the same thing...... and it wouldnt have to be a whole lot....

So you found the axle bent?

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe both axels are bent just a little to pi$$ me off. Now I need to order new ones and find time to replace them.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 lug/ 6 lug (2wd/ 4wd)?...... IIRC one shaft is 3/4" longer also.