Question about electronic ignition, and distributors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Ok some of you already know that I'm going after a MSD electronic ignition for my truck. I soon will have the MSD 6A and the adaptor harness and a new "blaster" coil. during my shopping, I have been looking for a new distributor cap and rotor ( because mine are still stock, and held together with zip ties. I think I found one that looks just like my stock one, but when I dig into applications, it never shows my year model, it usually ends in 1996.
I cant seem to find a cap/rotor for my ride. My distributor doesnt really look like a typical cylinder shape. its more like a crab-looking thing. its kinda like this:

So, I heard that I will still have to zip tie this thing down (cause the dist itself has broken/stripped holes), thats why im shoppong for whole new distributor. plus then when I take the engine to the next level, the framework is already laid for great spark.

So I pose to you this question; what whole distributor solves my problem, and can endure the higher output efficiently without heating up, and will fit my 99 without massive customization? I can go taller, because the vortech airbox is removed.
so yeah.. lemme know what you dudes think of that..

Attachments

• MSD cap.jpg
    MSD cap.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd like to hear the answers to this as well, as the rotor is basically rusted itself to the top of the distributer. haven't got around to pulling the whole thing and trying to cut slots in the screws with the dremel yet...

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigwaukegan can attest to this, they arent too fast 9over there with the activation of the usedID, but Im finally on and posted a thread.
I think the problem is that the crab-style distributor, because of the vortech air box, they didnt make one that fits. but maybe (hopefully ) im wrong. either way, my vortech box is gone, and I might be able to get away with a standard type of distributor.. and new wires.. cripes.. $$$$ :mad:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that stupid box is still on my truck but if they have something that will work i'll take the box off and cap the hole. it has been on the "figure something out to fix it" list ever since the cap crapped out on me after driving through a bunch of rain water. (steam got in it, as its not actually sealed... STUPID design)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take it off, grind the nubbs off the connection area, and put a cap on it.
all the box does is "calm" the air a bit before it hits the intake.
I dont think it does ALL that much to make a difference that you would notice. or maybe a new intake. or make one. :)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far this is their reply from MSD.

Pete,
Unfortunatly we do not offer a distributor for your application. You have the vortec block with a factory corecta cap distributor. Although all the other part numbers that you have listed are correct for your application.

thanks,
MSD tech27

you can see the whole conversation, here.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt believe it. so I actually called them... I thought for sure there would be some SB350 distributor that would work for me.
I got the tech21 guy from the forum. and he said "pfft, yeah, dude, you can't get a distributor for that app, we just dont make it."
Im all like, "but bro, isnt there some small block 350 sh*t you can give me that will work since the vortech is off and you could go tall with some different wires,etc.. or is the vortech intake manifold too much for you, you p***y ****k*er" ( not really, just thought that would be funny in hindsight... (read on for that explanation.....)
"naw, dude. it wont work. nevermind the 99 and a MSD distributor." (dude?!? Nevermind my needs, Im sure we can work something out dude-that-works-there.)
I go "dude what about the slip collar model 8486" ( i think is the model, summit says it will work. cant remember. was all drunk or somthing..
"look man. (pissy) we dont make a distributor for your application, the fuel injection and the electronic advance will mess with the output, affecting the OBD readings to the engine computer, and that will mess up everything. believe me ( condescending kind of, but not really. like he didnt know he sounds like that) this isnt going to work for you.

Im all like, "ok then, duder. Ill slap in the 6200 and the other junk, and Im sure it will be fine with my stock distributor."
that was that. Im sure Bigwaukegan can attest to the treatment over there. I mean... could you at least, FAKE like your interested in my ignition needs, Mr.-Specialized-forum-kinda-jerk-guy? cripes...
so thats what happened there. Any of your input on that would be rad...

anyway, I just odered the 6200, the 8877 harness, and the 8231 GM blaster 40,000V coil, and I am going to run them on my stock dist. for now. I have the MSD 8.5 pre-lengeth wires. I think Ill see these here monday and slap it in. Ill let you guys know in a different thread how it goes.

ttyl,
PEte

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks... what a dick. It's always frustrating to deal with A$$hole company reps... esp when your about to give them your money... oh well. Thanks for doing the research though.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results. I
ve been very happy w/ my MSD setup for many yrs, and my ignition, idle, acceleration is so smooth (i don't know what a bone stock yukon would be like at 160k miles, but mine still feels great, and fires up instantly...which makes it hard to let go of this truck, even at times like these). My friend actually told me of his dad's suburban... same yr... but says it runs like crap... and after riding in my yukon, he was amazed at how smooth and reliable it could be.

It seems like the stock distributor is holding up fine, and besides cool looks, I can't imagine the MSD dist making much difference on top of the MSD stuff you're getting... unless you plan to supercharge or run nitrous, etc... Mine runs great. Instead of buying a new distributor, I'd recommend investing in some high performance wires (which you already have) to get all the new spark energy to the plugs... and new plugs of course would be nice. Try it... you'll like it~

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP, right on.

heres the thing with mine; the screws that hold the crab-shaped cap on the distributor are stripped, and I have the stock one held on with big zip ties. its pretty tacky.. that summit cap would be great, but still would need some other way to hold it on. I need to get a new distributor that will work with the MSD 6a that replaces my stock one.

Or I guess I could just get onother OEM one...zzzzzzzz
or take the whole shebang out and repair the srtipped screws by drilling them out etc..

I think youll like the new cap and rotor and blue wires when you get them installed.

Im glad winter is coming up so I can dink around in the garage more, and cut the ggrass less :D.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I can get a regular replacement distributor, but i was hoping to get a sweet upgraded billet and chrome and blinky lights and super-fast, better-than-stock, rocket-powered, etcetc
:)